•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

software for post processing?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:58 AM

What are some good programs for processing my shots (after I stack them)?  I normally use Lightroom for my regular photography, but is this good for AP as well?  Maybe there is something better?  I tried to shoot the Veil nebula tonight, and I got a decent stack, but it's very hard to bring out the nebula in post.  I'm not sure if the software isn't suited for this kind of work, or maybe it's my technique.  Total exposure time is about 45 minutes, and there is a lot of light pollution around here, so maybe it's an issue of too few shots?

#2 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:21 AM

I use three...; if you have to pick one, take your pick. Regards

Edited by mmalik, 13 August 2020 - 01:22 AM.

• ET_PhoneHome likes this

#3 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:38 AM

What are some good programs for processing my shots (after I stack them)?  I normally use Lightroom for my regular photography, but is this good for AP as well?  Maybe there is something better?  I tried to shoot the Veil nebula tonight, and I got a decent stack, but it's very hard to bring out the nebula in post.  I'm not sure if the software isn't suited for this kind of work, or maybe it's my technique.  Total exposure time is about 45 minutes, and there is a lot of light pollution around here, so maybe it's an issue of too few shots?

Stacking Freeware, everyone uses: DeepSkyStacker. This is for stacking only.

Then, you have to "develop" the raw, linear file.  You can use the 16-bit version of GIMP for free, or pay 10/month for Photoshop. 

High-end, astro-specialized, complicated, long-learning curve: PixInsight. (NOTHING like Lightroom).

Lightroom is not really going to cut it once you get to stacking long-exposure deepsky images.

The Veil is pretty faint. You didn't say what camera you used, or lens, or scope (which is usually helpful information when asking questions like this). 

So: faint object + light pollution + inadequate exposure + incorrect software + inexperienced processing = disappointing results.

Jerry

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics