•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Collecting data over multiple nights with Newton telescopes.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ckenteris

Ckenteris

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:56 AM

I recently had my first "perfect" imaging night. Complete with auto meridian flip, almost no technical hiccups and my best image so far as result.

My first iteration of Elephants Trunk:

2,5h from Bortle 5 skies.

Elephant's Trunk

Now on my topic. I am thinking about adding more data. If my thoughts are correct, the relative position of the object will change over time. So two images taken some weeks apart with identical framing will have different spikes. Which leads to the problem of reacquiring the exact position of the diffraction spikes when framing the object, especially after a longer break.
The only way of countering this would be rotating the telescope tube itself accordingly.
Are my assumptions correct?

If I would do this. Is there a way, to overlay my existing data while framing to fine tune my image? (I am using NINA for imaging, and Sharp Cap for PA, did I overlook something here?)

Thank you for your time,

Andreas

#2 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:19 AM

Since you're using an equatorial mount, the scope rotates along with the sky.  So, unless you change the orientation of the tube relative to the mount, then the spikes should be in the same place.

-Dan

• ChrisWhite, ks__observer and colinrm like this

#3 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:38 AM

Since you're using an equatorial mount, the scope rotates along with the sky. So, unless you change the orientation of the tube relative to the mount, then the spikes should be in the same place.

-Dan

Yep, no worries at all.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics