•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion XT10 Dob

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jiblet65

jiblet65

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: la Florida

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:48 AM

So forget the Carson 90mm refractor, this just became available in my town and was wondering if $400 is an acceptable price. I see "Deluxe" in the name and "DLX" under the "10" on the side of the scope, is there a distinction between this and the Classic model? Here is some of the description and pics -

Scope is great condition, always stored indoors, and adult owned. Comes with red dot finder scope plus Orion cooling fan installed, also upgraded swivel base.

Attached Thumbnails

• orion1.jpg
  • orion2.jpg
  • orion3.jpg
  • orion4.jpg

• zjc26138 and Lewis Cason like this

#2 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Messenger

• Loc: New Albany, Mississippi, USA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:17 AM

The "Deluxe" moniker gets you the fan and the little knob at the front of the tube for swinging it around.

If you could get it for $300 I'd be all over it!  You'll see them on Cloudy Nights for $275- 350 all the time and that's for pickups only.  Shipping such a big thing is CRAZY.  It's probably worth $400 as well but there's gonna be a few things you'll add right from the start, so less money for the scope the better.

You're gonna need to pick up a nice laser collimator (not off amazon!) and perhaps a 9x50 RACI finderscope.  You're about to go DEEP considering the upgrade from the 90mm refractor  and star-hopping in the 9x50 is so easy!

There are other things you'll eventually want, like a coma corrector, especially if you start buying 2" wide field EPs, but that can wait and may not be necessary at all if you keep your EPs under 70 degree AFOV.  I use 82s for my widest AFOVs and use the ExSci HRCC and it's pinpoint stars all the way to the edge.  F/4.7 is right at the edge of needing a coma corrector.  The longer you have it the more you'll see it.

Outside of that, I LOVE mine.  I have others but this was my first "real" telescope and I'll likely never sell it.  If this one looks like it been cared for, no issues with the mirrors or the action of the alt/az, I say get it.... Good luck.

• jiblet65 and Tangerman like this

#3 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Viking 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:21 AM

You could get a double finder mount and put a 9X50 RACI and a Green Laser Pointer.  RACI goes closest to the eyepiece.  That is the Cat's Meow!  Happy hunting

• jiblet65 likes this

#4 jiblet65

jiblet65

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:29 AM

Thanks! I emailed him to see if I can go check it out. From what I can tell it's a seller's market as telescopes are moving pretty quickly on craigslist so not sure how low he'll go or if somebody else will just grab it for the asking price.

#5 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Messenger

• Loc: New Albany, Mississippi, USA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:56 AM

You could get a double finder mount and put a 9X50 RACI and a Green Laser Pointer.  RACI goes closest to the eyepiece.  That is the Cat's Meow!  Happy hunting

That's my setup too.  But be careful with the GLP, especially if you're near an airport.  Pilots aren't happy when they see lasers and they don't know the difference in astronomy and malfeasance.  They'll tattle on you!

• jiblet65 likes this

#6 JGass

JGass

Viking 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:06 AM

For great condition, $400 is OK.  It'd be better if there were a few more accessories included, I suppose.

If the mirrors are clean (save a little dust), I'd go for it.

Do check to see how easily it pivots in azimuth.  Should be easy to nudge.

• jiblet65 likes this

#7 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Vanguard

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:18 AM

A Telrad finder plus a Dob is a match made in heaven, no pun intended. It's the best $40 you will spend in astro for star hopping.

A lot of new scope owners want to wash the mirror as soon as they get the scope home. RESIST that temptation. Unless there is a layer of fudge all over the mirror, leave it alone.

• jiblet65 likes this

#8 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Steubenville, Ohio

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:09 AM

I think 400 is an okay deal too.

My first real scope was an XT10 and I loved it. It was an absolute blast to use.

• jiblet65 likes this

#9 jiblet65

jiblet65

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:37 AM

I'm trying to set up a meeting for early next week as our schedules conflict the next few days. Wife isn't really digging $400 plus a collimator and 9x50 RACI finderscope so some haggling may be in the works. lol.gif  

• zjc26138 likes this

#10 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Viking 1

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:55 PM

You're gonna need to pick up a nice laser collimator (not off amazon!) 

Nice yes needed?  Not necessarily needed.  They didn't even exist in the 90s and we had no problem collimating our scopes.

Edited by Tom Stock, 14 August 2020 - 12:56 PM.

• jiblet65 likes this

#11 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:53 PM

Nice yes needed?  Not necessarily needed.  They didn't even exist in the 90s and we had no problem collimating our scopes.

I agree.  A collimation cap or a Cheshire work just fine.  I've never had trouble getting a perfect Airy disc with a 10" f/5 reflector with just a collimation cap.

Dom Q.

• jiblet65 likes this

#12 Old Rookie

Old Rookie

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:51 PM

Since the scope is in great condition, the price is fair.  You'll probably want to junk the current finder and grab a Telrad somewhere.  That and a collimation cap somewhere.  This will get you started.  Down the road you can upgrade to your hearts content.

• jiblet65 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics