•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Smokey Nights

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RockyMtnRR

RockyMtnRR

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:23 AM

After some fun camping trips under darker skies last night I figured hey, let's get back out to the raspberry patch observatory and get to know the new constellations appearing over the mountains.   The little patch of sky I can see out the back window between the trees had a visible star, but when I hauled my crap around to the sideyard the sky was shiny and the smell of smoke in the air was noticeable.

Clearly I failed to reckon with the side effects of wildfire season.  Ah well, maybe the wind'll shift and tomorrow will be good.

• vdog and SciGlass like this

#2 pkrallis

pkrallis

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:26 AM

It's pretty much the same in Colorado.  Looks good until you put the scope on an object and it is mush.  I stared at Jupiter for a while but Saturn wasn't up to its normal glory.

• Older Padawan and SciGlass like this

#3 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:04 AM

Smoky skies are pretty much the norm during the summer here in central California.   Which forest fire it's coming from just depends on the direction the wind is blowing.

• JedF likes this

#4 Older Padawan

Older Padawan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado USA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:52 PM

Northern Colorado is nasty right now. I guess the jet stream is pulling all that smoke this way. PKRallis is right the view is pretty much mush for now. Hopefully we can get some rain and help put these fires out.confused1.gif

• SciGlass likes this

#5 JedF

JedF

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:21 PM

It’s been hour by hour here in North California, all about the wind. We have had a small cluster of lightning fires burning about 75 miles NW of here for 3 weeks or so, they’re in deep wilderness so are only partly contained and will likely be allowed to burn themselves out unless they threaten anything human-made. 2 days ago it was hazy all day, the wind shifted in the early evening and by midnight it was startlingly clear. Yesterday morning until early afternoon the air was a nice ecru color and you could taste the smoke if you went outside, there was a picturesque red sunset, and again good clarity by about 2200.  

• Older Padawan likes this

#6 jjbroomco

jjbroomco

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:30 PM

I feel bad for the folks in California right now. I heard about the fires near L.A. on the news. As others mentioned, here in Colorado the sky is super hazy & smoky because of the fires on the western slope. Looking out my window this evening, the sun is eerily bright red. I’ll be putting off any kind of observing for the next week or so.

#7 vsteblina

vsteblina

Vanguard

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:40 PM

It's Vladimir's fault.

https://komonews.com...tern-washington

#8 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:44 PM

Northern Colorado is nasty right now. I guess the jet stream is pulling all that smoke this way. PKRallis is right the view is pretty much mush for now. Hopefully we can get some rain and help put these fires out.confused1.gif

As a born and raised Californian and a long time Coloradan I walked out this morning and was pretty shocked. Instant headache, sore throat, allergic reaction. It was a pretty rough first half of the day as far as air quality goes here in NE Colorado.

#9 OIC

OIC

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Suburbs of Denver, USA

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:15 AM

So smokey it's not worth taking out the 8". Just using my Binos the past few days.

• SciGlass likes this

#10 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:40 PM

Not a great photo, but the smokey crescent rising above Denver International Airport early this morning.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200814_022534.png

#11 jjbroomco

jjbroomco

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:47 PM

That’s a great shot, thanks for sharing!
  • SciGlass likes this

#12 donvegas

donvegas

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:16 PM

Nasty here as well.  Big fire in the Angeles Forest.  I'm looking out the window at the mountains behind me and it's just a brown haze

• SciGlass likes this

#13 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 20 August 2020 - 05:51 PM

It's getting worse here.  I don't even want to breathe the air outside, and there's not much to see through the smoke anyway.

#14 Araguaia

Araguaia

Vanguard

• Loc: deepest, darkest Brazil

Posted 21 August 2020 - 05:32 AM

Half of Brazil is burning.  The smoke is getting thick.  I had my last session just now, and will be putting the scope away until November or so.  Only Mars and Uranus were worth it.

Every year this happens, but this year is the worst in a very long time.  And none of it is accidental.  mad.gif

Edited by Araguaia, 21 August 2020 - 05:33 AM.

• Cali likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics