•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Back after too many years...and I need some help!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ttamasle

ttamasle

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:25 AM

Life and its various turns removed me from the hobby due to other hobbies and life's general distractions.

For years now i keep looking to the skies and lamenting that I sold all of my gear to get out of debt.

I should have kept at least 1 of my scopes...but i didn't...I thought i could survive with a 200mm camera lens.

Clearly...its just not the same...

After much debate, I selected a Sky-watcher Evostar 80ed (f7, 600mmfl). Years ago I had one of their older 80s and loved that scope. I felt it was good enough in most conditions and its size was great for grab and go or AP. I found a killer deal on a New evostar with 2" diagonal for under $550...i thought that was a steal.

My quandary though is...Its been YEARS since I've done any visual astronomy. Ive never had a 2" diagonal and I am thrilled to have the opportunity to fill that hole with a hunk of glass. I don't think i want to go Televue just yet as gobs of free cash are not a thing i want to part with in our current challenges...but i do want to have that spacewalk sensation. So far the math tells me that I should be looking in the 15-20mm range at a AFOV of greater than 60 degrees.

After that...I'm lost. I have a shortlist of EPs that I think might do the trick. But, I have ZERO experience with 2" EPs and how they will work with an 80mm ED.

So here are my considerations so far:

Meade 15mm MWA

Luminos 19mm

Baader Hyperion 17mm

Can anyone shed 'light' on any of the these eye pieces in an 80mm ED?

Thank you in advance and glad to be back!

#2 Taosmath

Taosmath

Apollo

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:13 AM

I have an Astrotech 80EDT.  

My standard  pair of Ep's is a 32mm QX for wide field and a Baader 24mm-8mm zoom.  If I want to split doubles I'll either add in a 2.5x barlow or switch to my Nagler 6mm to 3mm zoom. Very occasionally I''ll use an Axiom 23mm if I want a wider field than the Baader can give me at low-ish magnifications.

I have a 31mm Axiom which I love in my Dobs, but it is heavy and requires the scope to be rebalanced.  The Qx70 is lighter, albeit with a smaller field of view.

What mount do you have?

I have never used the 19mm Luminos, though I have and use a 15mm version in my other scopes and am quite happy with it.

I don't know about either of the other two EP's as I've never used them.

have fun getting back into it !

• ttamasle likes this

#3 cst4

cst4

Messenger

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:14 AM

Having a 2" diagonal allows you to use 2" eyepieces but most eyepieces in the focal lengths you are looking at are 1.25" EP's.  The Luminos and Meade MWA you mention have very large fields of view that won't fit in a 1.25" barrel so that's why those are 2 inch.  The 17mm Hyperion with its 68 degree FOV is actually a 1.25" eyepiece... it just has a 2" skirt on it so you can use it as a 2" eyepiece.  The only real benefit to using 2" eyepieces is to view larger fields of view that will not fit in a 1.25" barrel.  So for eyepieces below about 15mm you will only be looking at 1.25" format... then if the FOV is large the lines might switch to 2" barrels.  82 degree eyepieces are 1.25" up to about 16mm.  68 degree eyepieces are 1.25" up to 24mm.  52 degree EP's are 1.25" up to 32mm.  Above those focal lengths and a 2" barrel must be used.  

But be warned... 2" eyepieces can be large and heavy.  But also immersive and comfortable with that big piece of glass.  Basically what I am getting at is just get the focal length and field of view that you want and don't worry if it is 2" or 1.25"... But make sure the weight is not too much.  Switching form a 1.5 lb 2" eyepiece to a 5 oz one can cause balance issues.  I personally prefer keeping everything under 1lb.

If I was starting from scratch and wanted to buy eyepieces for that scope that had wide fields of view I would probably just buy the 4mm, 7mm, and 16mm OVL Nirvanas.  I like that line and I think the spacing would be about all you need.  All are 1.25" barrels and light weight so switching out would be no problem.  Plus I think that 4mm is a real gem on planets.

• ttamasle likes this

#4 ttamasle

ttamasle

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:23 AM

What mount do you have?

For visual just a generic alt-az...nothing special.

For AP, that is described in my signature block (i think???)

#5 rowdy388

rowdy388

Soyuz

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:25 AM

I have the same scope as Taosmath, the F/6 AT80EDT. My favorite eyepieces to use with it are

the Morpheus 17.5 and 9mm. They can be used as as 2" or 1.25 eyepieces and are wonderful

in that scope. 

• ttamasle and Dark cloud like this

#6 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:28 AM

Hyperion 17 would be good. The 19 Luminos has gotten some negative reviews. The Meade MWA series gets a bad rap for being less than advertised AFOV and having considerable EOFB but I get the impression it is fairly well corrected if EOFB doesn’t bother you. The ES 18 82 is an option in this range albeit maybe more expensive.

Scott
  • ttamasle and Dark cloud like this

#7 cst4

cst4

Messenger

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:36 AM

I have the same scope as Taosmath, the F/6 AT80EDT. My favorite eyepieces to use with it are

the Morpheus 17.5 and 9mm. They can be used as as 2" or 1.25 eyepieces and are wonderful

in that scope. 

I second the Morpheus line.  If you can afford them they are among the best.  Very immersive and great quality views, each and every one of them... and that goes for every scope I've used them in.  If I had to sell all my EP's, those would be the last to go.  

• ttamasle, oldphysics and Astro-Master like this

#8 howardcano

howardcano

Viking 1

• Loc: Olathe, KS

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:30 PM

Do you wear glasses?  If so, that will limit your choices to long-eye-relief eyepieces.

An 18mm DeLite plus 2x and 3x Barlows will keep you busy for a long time, without breaking the bank.  If the 2x has a lens cell that will screw by itself into the eyepiece (like the GSO), that gives you four nicely-spaced focal lengths for under $100 each.

For more apparent field and less money, you could play the same game with the Morpheus 17.5mm.  I've been curious about the Morpheus for a long time, but haven't yet used one.  The 17.5mm does have excellent reviews!

And I would definitely go for the 2" diagonal to prepare for that inevitable big honkin' 2" low-power eyepiece.

Edited by howardcano, 13 August 2020 - 01:37 PM.

• ttamasle likes this

#9 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:32 PM

With my 81mm Apo I almost never use 2" eyepieces simply because the magnification is just too low and the view is more binocular-like than anything else.  So why use my scope to get binocular-like views when it is easier to just grab the binoculars?  Anyway, the immersive-ness and spacewalk-ness of the Morpheus are incredible...better than 82 degree eyepieces IMO as the combination of long eye relief and large AFOV with a housing that is relatively thin so visually it makes the FOV more like it is not framed within an eyepiece.  The 17.5mm is spectacular too with a very rich high-contrast high color saturated FOV.  In your scope it will produce 34x and give you a 2.2 degree TFOV at a 2.3mm exit pupil so a perfect combination for DSO observing and also use of a filters to bring the nebula and SNRs out better.  It will be quite a productive tool.

Later on you can get a 40mm wide field in 2" for a 4.4 deg TFOV at only 20x if you want, or just keep some good binoculars at your side that provide a 5 deg TFOV and let the telescope do what the telescope does best which is pump magnification.

• ttamasle likes this

#10 ttamasle

ttamasle

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:32 PM

Do you wear glasses?  If so, that will limit your choices to long-eye-relief eyepieces.

An 18mm DeLite plus 2x and 3x Barlows will keep you busy for a long time, without breaking the bank.  If the 2x has a lens cell that will screw by itself into the eyepiece (like the GSO), that gives you four nicely-spaced focal lengths for under $100 each.

No...i dont wear glasses unless i have to use my phone or tablet for long periods of time. Otherwise i see like my younger self...(i think)...

#11 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:40 PM

You can't go wrong with the Morpheus for quality, wide FOV, and just a very nice comfortable eyepiece to use, at a reasonable price.

• ttamasle likes this

#12 ttamasle

ttamasle

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:42 PM

Later on you can get a 40mm wide field in 2" for a 4.4 deg TFOV at only 20x if you want, or just keep some good binoculars at your side that provide a 5 deg TFOV and let the telescope do what the telescope does best which is pump magnification.

ok...so that is another vote for the Morpheus 17.5. Seems costy...but how you all are talking about it...it sounds like its worth every penny...im ok with that.

All of my observations over the last few years have been through a pair of Nikon Prostaff 7s. Great pair of binos i must say. That set as a FOV of 6.2 degrees at 10x...but they are a hair dim in the dark i must admit unless seeing is perfect.  

#13 Dark cloud

Dark cloud

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Northwest Illinois

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:59 AM

Another option is the Baader hyperion eyepiece's. A little bit cheaper but you can change the focal length of each eyepiece with fine tuning rings except the 24mm that's fixed focal length. 68 degree They also work with 2inch and 1.25 focuser. I really like the 4 I have.
  • ttamasle likes this

#14 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 14 August 2020 - 04:55 PM

Life and its various turns removed me from the hobby due to other hobbies and life's general distractions.

For years now i keep looking to the skies and lamenting that I sold all of my gear to get out of debt.

I should have kept at least 1 of my scopes...but i didn't...I thought i could survive with a 200mm camera lens.

Clearly...its just not the same...

After much debate, I selected a Sky-watcher Evostar 80ed (f7, 600mmfl). Years ago I had one of their older 80s and loved that scope. I felt it was good enough in most conditions and its size was great for grab and go or AP. I found a killer deal on a New evostar with 2" diagonal for under $550...i thought that was a steal.

My quandary though is...Its been YEARS since I've done any visual astronomy. Ive never had a 2" diagonal and I am thrilled to have the opportunity to fill that hole with a hunk of glass. I don't think i want to go Televue just yet as gobs of free cash are not a thing i want to part with in our current challenges...but i do want to have that spacewalk sensation. So far the math tells me that I should be looking in the 15-20mm range at a AFOV of greater than 60 degrees.

After that...I'm lost. I have a shortlist of EPs that I think might do the trick. But, I have ZERO experience with 2" EPs and how they will work with an 80mm ED.

So here are my considerations so far:

Meade 15mm MWA

Luminos 19mm

Baader Hyperion 17mm

Can anyone shed 'light' on any of the these eye pieces in an 80mm ED?

Thank you in advance and glad to be back!

The 17mm Hyperion is a 1.25" eyepiece.  If you try to use it as a 2" eyepiece in a star diagonal, the 1.25" section may hit the diagonal mirror.

Generally, it's only usable as a 2" eyepiece in reflectors.

• Dark cloud likes this

#15 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 14 August 2020 - 04:56 PM

ok...so that is another vote for the Morpheus 17.5. Seems costy...but how you all are talking about it...it sounds like its worth every penny...im ok with that.

All of my observations over the last few years have been through a pair of Nikon Prostaff 7s. Great pair of binos i must say. That set as a FOV of 6.2 degrees at 10x...but they are a hair dim in the dark i must admit unless seeing is perfect.  

Like the Hyperions, the Morpheus eyepieces should be considered to be 1.25" eyepieces in a refractor, and for the same reason.

#16 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 14 August 2020 - 05:26 PM

I don't understand which math gives a 15-20 mm 1.25" eyepiece for a spacewalk sensation.

I would go with a 26mm Q70 2" eyepiece for the 3.2° FOV at 23x. That's twice the area of sky you'd see in the 17.5 Morpheus.

I have a TS branded version for my 80mm f/7 and it's just grand for sweeping around the sky.

I use it more than my 22 Nagler T4 simply because it's small and light and the views just make me smile.

• ttamasle likes this

#17 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:56 AM

I think the spacewalk sensation is more about AFOV than TFOV. I have an 82 AFOV eyepiece that I just barely have to move my eye around to see the field stop. So if I look straight in, I don’t see the field stop. That’s what is intended by saying spacewalk effect. It would be even more pronounced with a 9mm 120 AFOV.

Of course some people like seeing the field stop, or object to paying a premium for extra field that generally isn’t being used much.

Scott
  • ttamasle likes this

#18 Dark cloud

Dark cloud

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 August 2020 - 07:12 PM

The 17mm Hyperion is a 1.25" eyepiece. If you try to use it as a 2" eyepiece in a star diagonal, the 1.25" section may hit the diagonal mirror.
Generally, it's only usable as a 2" eyepiece in reflectors.

#19 Dark cloud

Dark cloud

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 August 2020 - 07:18 PM

Yes I rarely use them in 2inch diagonal opening when I do its without the first group of lenses. Or I use the fine-tuning stop ring. For low powers I normally use dedicated 2inch eyepiece's.

#20 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 16 August 2020 - 07:32 PM

This seems odd because I use my LVWs as 2” eyepieces all the time in two different 2” mirror diagonals with absolutely zero issues. Yes I did check during the day to confirm it wouldn’t hit the mirror first to be safe, but absolutely no problem at all. Granted I do have parfocal rings on them for an unrelated purpose that back them up six mm but the 2” barrel on the Morpheus is 4mm shorter so should just be 2mm difference. Really doesn’t seem that close. Granted I don’t have Morpheus or Hyperion but I would be surprised if there was actually a clearance issue.

#21 cst4

cst4

Messenger

Posted 16 August 2020 - 08:16 PM

I’ve used Hyperions, Stratus, LVW’s, and Morpheus EPs as 2 inchers in multiple mirror diagonals and never noticed an issue with the 1.25” barrel hitting the mirror.  Although now that I think about it, there was one older Lumicon mirror diagonal I sold that had a little mark on the mirror and this could have been the cause. But the WO and AT dielectrics I use most remain mark free. 

• ttamasle likes this

#22 Dark cloud

Dark cloud

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 August 2020 - 01:10 AM

The Hyperions when used with the fine-tuning rings especially with both the 14mm and 28m combined cause the barrel to sit lower in diagonal even lower with filter attached. As the eyepiece shoulder remains the same and everything else sits lower in diagonal with each ring or filter you add. Whichever eyepiece you chose on your list ttamasle will be a great choice.

Edited by Dark cloud, 17 August 2020 - 02:44 AM.

• ttamasle likes this

#23 ttamasle

ttamasle

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 17 August 2020 - 10:04 AM

I would like to thank EVERYONE for their input. I followed up with more review reading and was able to find some very deep technical review of the Morpheus line...especially the 17.5mm in a refractor. I was compelled to commit to that EP despite the cost (which i cant believe costs more than my first telescope). I do hope its worth it.

The EP will be coming from Agena even though i ordered on Amazon. They said it would be here early September which i find impossible to believe...but...Amazon can be funny like that...and the item shows up in three days anyway.

I'm eager to see what this evostar will do for me and getting back into AP. I've sadly realized that my photo setup for my DSLR will not support the scope due to the capacity of the geared head i was using. It'll be fine for visual work though...but ive had to purchase: a scope, EP and a EQ wedge in the first week of "coming back". I forgot how much money disappears when chasing stars...

• howardcano likes this

#24 howardcano

howardcano

Viking 1

• Loc: Olathe, KS

Posted 17 August 2020 - 01:02 PM

Let us know what you think of it after you try it!

#25 ttamasle

ttamasle

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 17 August 2020 - 01:43 PM

One more question for the room...How are images shared on Cloudynights? I remember years ago that i used to have to host the images externally and link to them. Photo bucket it was called...Is this still the same or has the forum updated?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics