•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Shipping From UK

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rugby

rugby

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: London Ontario Canada

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:41 AM

i am trying to find the best way to ship an AZ100 from the UK. FLO uses DHL Express while Rowan Engineering uses FEDEX. The price to ship is upfront but what brokerage fees and taxes are added coming into Canada or the US. Is there any way to find out? What are your personal experiences when using the previously mentioned companies?

#2 cst4

cst4

Messenger

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:24 AM

I've only ever ordered one thing from FLO but I was impressed... no extra fees or taxes charged that I noticed and it made it from the UK to GA via DHL the whole way in just 6 days.  Of course what I ordered was just a small lightweight AZ-GTi mount head so it may be different for larger packages?

#3 kathyastro

kathyastro

Vanguard

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:08 AM

It may be worth it to use a courier service and just pay the brokerage fees if there are any.  Mail from the UK has been totally messed up since covid-19 began and planes stopped flying.  I had two important pieces of mail sent to me from the UK.  One took 71 days and the other took 84 days to get here.  I had given them up for lost.

If you call the courier companies, they should be able to tell you what their brokerage fees are.

#4 gr5org

gr5org

thegr5store

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Boston

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:46 PM

DHL and Fedex will almost certainly have extra fees.  DHL charges about 30 to 40 USD for customs fees even though the things I import have zero customs fees.  100% of these fees go to DHL.  This helps get my stuff through customs very fast but if you aren't in a rush, the normal postal service in most countries (including USA and europe) is much less likely to charge you any customs fees.  Particularly if there is a trade agreement and the classification of item is has no customs tax.  I know someone who got yelled at by a european customer because he shipped it DHL and they had to pay VAT and customs whereas when it goes through ordinary post there are no fees (usually).

You can look up the harmonized code for telescopes and see if Canada has any tariffs for that code.  It's pretty easy to do.  If not then DHL and Fedex will charge around $30USD and local postal service will charge nothing.

Lately I've had major issues with Canada Post.  For regular shipments they can be delayed for up to 2 months!!  Different parts of the country are different.  This has something to do with Covid19 but I'm not sure exactly what.  So if I have a customer in Canada I lately insist it goes "priority" Canada Post which is pretty decent but costs me another $15 or so when I ship things there.

• rugby likes this

#5 rugby

rugby

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: London Ontario Canada

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:46 PM

gr5org: Everyone in Ontario Canada is complaining about unreasonable delivery times. I am noting something sent usps will arrive in Canada as expected if only to take weeks to deliver locally. Go figure! Thanks for the tips re overseas shipping rates

#6 gr5org

gr5org

thegr5store

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Boston

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:41 PM

So I recommend what they call here "priority mail".  If you want it within a few months.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics