•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3.5mm Vixen LVW vs. Pentax XW?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cst4

cst4

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:29 AM

I picked up a 3.5mm LVW a couple of months ago for viewing the planets in my 4" F/7 refractor.  I thought it would make a nice higher power extension to my beloved Morpheus EP's which stop at 4.5mm.  I use them as 2" eyepieces so I thought the LVW would fit in perfectly since it is also dual barrel.  Its only shortcoming is the FOV is quite a bit more narrow compared to the Morpheus but body and view quality is a nice match..  It's a great EP that gives me exactly 50x per inch of aperture and I'm generally happy with it, but I was curious how it would compare to the Pentax 3.5mm XW.  Has anyone ever compared these 2 directly?  Or can anyone comment on the performance of the XW 3.5mm in a similar refractor? 

I recently tried Pentax XL eyepieces in 7mm and 14mm and was kind of blown away at just how much I liked them... first impressions left me thinking I might actually like them better than LVW's which surprised me.  So I would love to hear how the 3.5mm XW and 3.5mm LVW compare.  And also, was there a Pentax XL near this focal length or did that line only go down to 5.2mm? 

#2 lookoutmtn17

lookoutmtn17

Sputnik

• Loc: SE TN

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:22 PM

I have not compared the two, but I do use the 3.5 XW in my 4" f/8. If the seeing allows, the views of the planets and moon are some of the best I have enjoyed in a small scope-nice contrast and color. The field of view is good and I can easily use my glasses with the adjustable eye guard. I would definitely recommend the XW. Tim

• 25585, csphere.d and j.gardavsky like this

#3 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:31 PM

The Pentax XL only went down to 5.2mm.  I have the 40 XL, 10.5 XL, 7 XL, and the 5.2 XL all fine eyepieces.  I use my Astro-Physics 2x barlow with the 7mm XL for a 3.5mm and the 5.2mm XL for a 2.6mm on my Setllarvue 105mm APO when the seeing allows.

If you have a good quality barlow try it on your 7mm XL for a 3.5mm and do the comparsion with the 3.5mm LVW, and let us know what yoiu think.

#4 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:47 PM

I have a LVW 3.5mm. It has for such a short FL, the easiest viewing. I could not get along with a 5mm XW due to finicky eye placement, but am fine with the XL & LVW. That may be because those latter 2 are 65° AFOV, and XWs are 70°.

If you can buy a 3.5 LVW give it a try, its harder to find, as XWs are a current range. 

• j.gardavsky likes this

#5 cst4

cst4

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the input everyone.  It's a shame that the Pentax XL line didn't go down past 5.2mm... I've read many report that the XL line is easier on eye placement than the XW line.  Eye placement is actually a pretty big concern for me as I like to stand and view.  The easier on eye placement the more relaxed I stay.  I may just have to try to pick up a 3.5mm XW one day to compare to my 3.5mm LVW... There's really no better way than to see for yourself which eyepiece one likes best as it is often just a matter of personal preference.  I don't like to use barlows at all so I didn't even think about barlowing my 7mm XL, but think I will try that... If I like a 2x barlow on it better than using the 3.5mm LVW then I will likely have my answer as to if I would like the 3.5mm XW better.  But like I said... I'm pretty happy with the LVW.  No real hurry to try anything else... just curious.

• RAKing, Astro-Master and 25585 like this

#6 luxo II

luxo II

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 15 August 2020 - 12:33 AM

Another is the Vixen SSW3.5... you could slip a 2” adapter on it. Better than the LVW.

Edited by luxo II, 15 August 2020 - 12:33 AM.

• Marcus Roman likes this

#7 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 15 August 2020 - 10:53 AM

Maybe luck, but the first 3.5mm I bought was the Pentax XW....I feel no need to try another....Warning, XWs have a way of creeping into your kit till you have all eight focal lengths ....and a grin from ear to ear.

• Marcus Roman and j.gardavsky like this

#8 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 15 August 2020 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for the input everyone.  It's a shame that the Pentax XL line didn't go down past 5.2mm... I've read many report that the XL line is easier on eye placement than the XW line.  Eye placement is actually a pretty big concern for me as I like to stand and view.  The easier on eye placement the more relaxed I stay.  I may just have to try to pick up a 3.5mm XW one day to compare to my 3.5mm LVW... There's really no better way than to see for yourself which eyepiece one likes best as it is often just a matter of personal preference.  I don't like to use barlows at all so I didn't even think about barlowing my 7mm XL, but think I will try that... If I like a 2x barlow on it better than using the 3.5mm LVW then I will likely have my answer as to if I would like the 3.5mm XW better.  But like I said... I'm pretty happy with the LVW.  No real hurry to try anything else... just curious.

You really have to see for yourself.  I consider the Pentax XW to be very comfortable and very easy on eye placement.  I also figured out how to make the TV Delos just as easy to use and comfortable for me, too.

So the 3.5mm I use on any given night mainly depends on which eyepiece set I am using.  The Pentax are parfocal with each other as are the Delos, so little focuser adjustment is needed and the views are comparable.

Cheers,

Ron

#9 John Huntley

John Huntley

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • Loc: SW England

Posted 15 August 2020 - 05:42 PM

I stand and view as well. I enjoyed the LVW's (I've used them all) and now likewise the XW's from 10mm through to 3.5mm. More similar than different I think.

• 25585 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics