•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Options to rotate/orientate the camera

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cal1mero

cal1mero

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: McLean, VA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:37 AM

I have a William optic gt71 with the 0.8 Ff/Fr attached to it. In the train to the camera is a staring a filter slider, an extender as well as a m42/m48 adapter. So far this system doesn’t not allow me to rotate the camera in order to get the most appropriate orientation. Is there any options that Would let me orientate the camera to my wishes?

thanks

Eric

#2 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:59 AM

You could always rotate the the OTA within its rings.

#3 cal1mero

cal1mero

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:03 PM

Yep that was my solution currently but there is a lot of equipment around such focuser ASIAIR etc and not the best option. Was just wandering if there was some sort of adapter.

Eric

#4 Hawkdl2

Hawkdl2

Viking 1

• Loc: Claremont, CA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:36 PM

If you meant "any options", and if you have 18mm or more of extension rings in your train, you could buy a rotator.  The new Pegasus rotator is 18mm and cost about $650.   I planned on buying one but I only have 11mm of replaceable extension rings in my imaging train, so I'm out of available backfocus. 

#5 fender2547886

fender2547886

Sputnik

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:42 PM

William Optics claim that the entire focuser rotates. maybe you can post photos of the focuser. but there may be a polished knurled knob to loosen the focuser so it can rotate. The knob on the underside adjusts the focuser's tension , so do not touch that one unless you are aware of the specifics of how to adjust.

2.5" R&P Focuser
• Extra-smooth 360 deg. rotatable 2.5" R&P focuser with 1:10 dual speed: a treat to use during astrophotography. No image shifting!
• Comes with two locking screws on angled positions for heavy load applications.

• Large aluminum knob with installed thermometer.

Simply Beautiful Finish
• quality fit and finish: powder-painted white CNC-machined aluminum tube, gold trim finish, retractable dewshield, dewshield cap.
• Top quality anodizing.
• Very compact for carrying on flights.

Edited by fender2547886, 13 August 2020 - 12:46 PM.

#6 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:55 PM

An even better option than rotation of the entire focuser (which brings the focus knobs and any AF motor attached along for the ride) is the WO camera angle adjuster:

https://williamoptic...2-5-m63-focuser

It has a nice scale for exact angle placement, locks very easily, and rotates smoothly.

I use it on both my GT71 and my ZS103.

Attached Thumbnails

• dualsetupinobs.jpb.jpg

• elmiko and davidparks like this

#7 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:02 PM

Another thing to take note of -- M42 and M48 T-rings (which connect to the camera body) usually have tiny set screws which you can loosen, allowing you to rotate the front part relative to the back part.  That will solve your problem, and in any case it's a good idea to make sure those set screws are tight.

#8 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Apollo

• Loc: South Central Valley, Ca

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:08 PM

I have the Z61 with the flattener that attaches to the scope with M54 male threads... 

I threaded on the 2" eypiece holder to the scope, and am awaiting the arrival of an M54 female x M48 male adapter... then I can thread on a 2" bayonet fitting to the flattener and rotate it at the eyepiece holder.

#9 FlankerOneTwo

FlankerOneTwo

Viking 1

• Loc: Vegas, baby!

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:09 PM

https://agenaastro.c...hread-r-02.html

These can be had in M42, M54, and M68 as well, if you need a different thread. Baader and Teleskop Service also make similar rotators

• elmiko likes this

#10 ESzczesniak

ESzczesniak

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:13 PM

I have the Z81 with the newer FLAT6AIII FF. I read somewhere they used to Include a camera angle adjust in their focusers, but removed it on newer models. 

The new FF at least screws in/out to adjust back focus. The way I see it, I can never be more than 90 degrees off well framed. It might be upside down at that point, but as long as it fits on the sensor, the rest can be fixed with software rotation. The FLAT6AIII has a printed scale to adjust for back focus, but being realistic, isn’t precise down the the tenths of a mm they report time the required settings too. If I tighten or loose it a quarter turn (90 degrees), I can’t see a difference in the printed ruler. So I just make my adjustments at the flattener, then tighten the locking ring back down. 

#11 cal1mero

cal1mero

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for all of your input. I think that the William optics focuser orienter mentioned by Paul is the best option. Indeed my Gt71 with the flattened does not have the ability to rotate at least in its latest incarnation. I just need to check the impact on the back focus.

thanks again,

Eric

Edited by cal1mero, 14 August 2020 - 09:49 PM.

#12 Gobo333

Gobo333

Lift Off

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 August 2020 - 05:14 PM

Jumping in here with a question regarding the rotator and aligning the ‘0 degrees’ location. I have the same WO71 setup and when the rotator is installed, the 0’ mark and locking screw point down into the dovetail plate. I see a series of flathead locking screws on the perimeter, but I don’t think those allow the threaded ring inside to rotate.

Is there a way to adjust that numerical ring and lock screw to a more desire able location? (I’ll try and post an image later when I get home). Thx!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 74569092-087D-4648-A500-FF81915EC6D3.jpeg
  • 263ECD64-06B0-4E6F-9B08-699C98191BB9.jpeg

Edited by Gobo333, 27 August 2020 - 12:47 AM.

• elmiko likes this

#13 cal1mero

cal1mero

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:17 AM

Hi gobo333,
I am supposed to receive the rotator today and will most likely have the same issue. I will report back.
Eric

#14 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:28 AM

Those flathead screws *do* allow the scale to rotate.  Loosen them (you don't have to remove them, just loosen them a bit), and move the scale so it's aligned where you want.  Tighten them back down.

• Gobo333 likes this

#15 Gobo333

Gobo333

Lift Off

Posted 27 August 2020 - 03:11 PM

Update. Tried loosening the screws.

They are retaining screws for the rotating ring, not the number ring. They ride in the same track as the locking screw and are designed to be adjusted evenly to remove slip and create a little friction.  The numbers are etched into the threaded part.  (Careful when doing this...there is a super fine plastic split ring in there that prefers to be outside the assembly and requires some gentle coercing with thin tool to get back in place)

It looks like the only option is to shim the assembly and locate the 0 point with the right thickness shim stopping the rotation in a more desirable place.

Off to look for shims!

#16 Gobo333

Gobo333

Lift Off

Posted 30 August 2020 - 09:25 AM

Being unable to find any M64 shims, I made some out of compressed high temp gasket material use for headers and valve covers etc. It’s a paper like material that can easily be cut with an exacto blade and then carefully flat sanded to the desired thickness. A little adjusting and now my numbers are in an easy to read location.

#17 Gobo333

Gobo333

Lift Off

Posted 30 August 2020 - 09:25 AM

Being unable to find any M64 shims, I made some out of compressed high temp gasket material use for headers and valve covers etc. It’s a paper like material that can easily be cut with an exacto blade and then carefully flat sanded to the desired thickness. A little adjusting and now my numbers are in an easy to read location.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics