•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mac OS Software

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hooten3

Hooten3

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:04 PM

I am a newbe and I am using a ZWO ASI224mc uncooled color. I am also using the ASI Studio suite associated with ZWO. Im wondering what you would suggest as quality capture and processing software compatible with a Mac?

I appreciate your input.

#2 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez (No one expects the Spanish Inquisition)

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:22 PM

Search around, this comes up pretty regularly.

You'll have fewer choices on Macintosh, but there are some options. Off the bat, I'd recommend that you check out Andrew's (lead_weight) Mac Observatory site.

For what it's worth - I use Software Bisque's SkyX Professional to control my gear and Pleiades Astrophoto's PixInsight for processing. This is for DSO work, I don't currently image the Sun, planets or the moon.

Best of luck.

• Lead_Weight likes this

#3 StarryHill

StarryHill

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:24 PM

For image capture, be sure to look at AstroImager -- inexpensive, easy and elegant. For processing, be sure to look at Pixinsight -- a steep learning curve but comprehensive and worth the effort.

• lucutes likes this

#4 idclimber

idclimber

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:43 PM

What telescope and mount are you using with that camera??

What are your goals, Deep sky images, planetary, galaxies?

Do you want instant photos that are stacked in near real time or photos sessions that last all night or multiple nights on one target that are processed into photos later?

If you have an inexpensive mount that really is not suitable for extended imaging it would be advisable to read the EAA section of this forum. The 224 camera you have is perfect for near real time imaging. The only software you would need is the ASI studio that you already have. 

If you have a quality mount and scope and eventually plan on a more expensive camera/bigger sensor to take many of the images posted here in this forum then the ASI softwares will be lacking. 

Like Ken I use TheSkyX because we have Paramount mounts. They have multiple versions of this software. I used the Serious Astronomer version for years to control my Meade LX200 mount. This basic version just points the scope and is does not control cameras, filter wheels or other imaging equipment. 

They also recently came out with a Imaging edition. This includes the Professional version of TheSkyX as well as the camera and T-point modules. This would do everything from extremely accurate polar alignment to controlling all of your camera equipment. The current cost of this package in dollars is $495. 

All of Bisques software has a subscription option. You do not need to pay anything yearly and the software will keep working indefinitely. If you want to keep up with updates and improvements then you have to pay for that subscription. This is infinitely bette than the draconian method used by Adobe. 

• unleaded55 likes this

#5 Deesk06

Deesk06

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:54 AM

I personally use Kstar/Ekos, it is a free software and it is extremely involved. It will pretty much have every single feature you will need to do AP.

As ken said, Lead_weight uses Mac and he has an awesome website with a big list of software. I am sure he will chime in. 

• Lead_Weight likes this

#6 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oise, France

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:15 AM

https://www.macobser...ronomy-software

Ah, I see Ken linked it already.

Edited by Hypoxic, 14 August 2020 - 07:19 AM.

• Lead_Weight likes this

#7 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez (No one expects the Spanish Inquisition)

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 14 August 2020 - 11:41 AM

I did use SkyX Pro (and earlier Windows-based Software Bisque software) for many years before I bought a Paramount. I still hold the unpopular position that the Paramount is really just a great hardware accessory for using SkyX.

• dmdouglass likes this

#8 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:13 PM

I did use SkyX Pro (and earlier Windows-based Software Bisque software) for many years before I bought a Paramount. I still hold the unpopular position that the Paramount is really just a great hardware accessory for using SkyX.

Well Stated.  Especially when no other software can control the mount (directly).  Don't get me wrong.  I use TheSKyX Pro to control my pier mounted CGX-L.... and I love it.  But our club does have an (older) ME, and i am aware of its functionality and requirements.

#9 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:54 PM

I think everyone here gave some good advice. smile.gif

I personally use the ZWO ASI Studio software with my 224MC camera, and it works quite well. It is more suited for planetary imaging. The last images of Saturn and Jupiter at the Astrobin link in my signature were captured with that software. On my site I have a link that covers getting started with Astrophotography on the Mac.

https://www.macobser...aphy-on-the-mac

Maybe that will get you pointed in the right direction. But I also have a list of all available software for the Mac, and I try to keep it up to date.

Good luck! Don’t hesitate to ask questions. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics