•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

#301 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 76707

Posted 03 January 2021 - 11:01 AM

On the mount.

Attached Thumbnails

• rps2021010mmmmm3_100036.jpg

• Terra Nova, PawPaw, Bomber Bob and 6 others like this

#302 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 03 January 2021 - 01:03 PM

We used Spectrum Coatings in Deltona, FL for the mirrors in the Cave. Affordable, fast and perfect. We could not be happier with the results.

Q

As a bit of an aside, did you know coach Ted Matson from Deltona ? Sorry to break the thread !

#303 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:51 AM

I cleaned the optics.

A sleeky spot of concentrated micro scratches on the 2.14" secondary, primary is perfect.

Sure looks like Coulter.

The eyepieces were dirty to the point of needing disassembly for cleaning.

When you disassemble a eyepiece mark the lens edges with pencil so you know the correct

orientation. You would be surprised how easy it is to get confused in the washing how they

go.

The Edmund 15mm RKE is one of the greats. The Edmund 1"FL is a size I don't have, I have

the 1-1/8".

Robert 

attachicon.gifIMG_0264.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0265.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0267.jpg

Glad I read this.  I have the all  black eyepiece and was wondering who made it.

• clamchip likes this

#304 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:21 AM

Here is my Towa branded as 'Viking' found on one of the classifieds websites in Poland. The telescope was in poor condition and there were no signs that it would find a new owner. I know that this manufacturer does not enjoy great respect among connoisseurs, but I decided to give it a second youth due to the beautiful, vintage color of the tube.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3image_0.jpg
  • 20200201_121504.jpg
  • 20200201_152903m.jpg

• photiost, Pete W, clamchip and 7 others like this

#305 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:24 AM

I did a full renovation and I must say that when I put everything together I was really captivated by how this small, filigree equipment looks...

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200203_112533.jpg
  • 20200203_111309.jpg
  • 20200203_112654.jpg
  • 20200205_155525m.jpg

• Steve_M_M, Jim Curry, Pete W and 17 others like this

#306 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:26 AM

How does it work? Although it is a cheap, popular model, it is optically excellent. It is much worse with the stability of the AZ mount however. I took the picture of the Moon below with it. This is how it repaid the renovation effort (this is NOT a stack!):

Attached Thumbnails

• Ksiezyc 05 02 2020 viking kadr.jpg

Edited by LukaszLu, 04 January 2021 - 11:37 AM.

• Jim Curry, clamchip, mdowns and 12 others like this

#307 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 04 January 2021 - 03:02 PM

So here's a short report on late year Goodwill buys:

I got the "good deal" on the Unitron 114----except no diagonal and NO packing inside the wood box so some unnecessary scratches. Couldn't get a focus and put it aside.

Jason 307 came in nice wood box,no mount or tripod,but two nice classic eyepieces an AH20 and H12.5,and objective capped .

The Cometron 100 is a Vixen,the circle V is on the end cap Needs the eyepiece holder.And appears well collimated despite the trip.. mirror is bright.

The Meade LXD75 AR6 is an impressive set.And a bit too much for tired after work sessions..,so a 90mm Galileo was the scope used  to view the Grand Conjunction for the few minutes it was not hidden by clouds before disappearing behind the next ridge.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#308 Stayintheshadows

Stayintheshadows

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 January 2021 - 07:18 AM

Hi all

My dad had this in the basement for decades. It survived multiple moves.

One thing about my father— everything he owns is meticulous

Vintage Jason 311 Telescope

Just picked up an equatorial mount. Tis on ze way. I did, however, have trouble identifying who made the optics. The symbol appears to be a circle “W” or even a circle double-V.

There is no draw tube on the focuser, either. But there is a red strip about the neck of the focuser.

4-E2-F8-F87-934-A-4271-A491-AFC0-A6-EB4-

1-E40203-D-5659-442-E-B84-D-88-C645-D261

interesting pull on this debacle

I had a hunch that a Vixen-Vista partnership existed in the early days. After some searching i have narrowed it down to what I believe, are two possible candidates

1. A vixen-vista partnership during vixens early days (they only made astronomical equipment then)

2. Or... the optics could be that of Wray optical.

Anyone have info on Wray?

Edited by Stayintheshadows, 10 January 2021 - 07:55 AM.

• Bomber Bob, oldmanastro and Bagwell like this

#309 Wisconsin Steve

Wisconsin Steve

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 10 January 2021 - 04:40 PM

I picked this Unitron 114 60mm up the other day. Just couldn’t pass on the $80 price. Good shape and will clean up nicely. Lens is very good and clean. Only bad is no eyepieces and draw tube is missing from the focuser. That third pic makes it look like the OTA is dented, but that thankfully is just the way the light is reflecting.

Had one of these in the past and regret selling it. The Unitrons certainly have that classic telescope look to them!

https://www.facebook...36575346824687/

• Steve_M_M, John Rogers, catboat and 5 others like this

#310 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 10 January 2021 - 06:33 PM

I had a hunch that a Vixen-Vista partnership existed in the early days. After some searching i have narrowed it down to what I believe, are two possible candidates

1. A vixen-vista partnership during vixens early days (they only made astronomical equipment then)

Vixen-Vista?...What is that and where are you getting your info? Although nobody has yet said what Circle W means, the scopes bearing that mark have nothing in common with Vixens from the same period. They share more in common with Circle Z (Tanzutsu) and Circle T Towa. Also, If you are talking about Wray of the UK, no way!

• GreyDay likes this

#311 catboat

catboat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 11 January 2021 - 11:15 AM

>>snip<<

Had one of these in the past and regret selling it. The Unitrons certainly have that classic telescope look to them!

https://www.facebook...36575346824687/

Steve,

That must be the one you sold to me, for which my thanks once again!  It's a fine scope.  I hope this one works out well for you.

Edited by catboat, 11 January 2021 - 02:44 PM.

• Wisconsin Steve likes this

#312 Stayintheshadows

Stayintheshadows

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:09 PM

Vixen-Vista?...What is that and where are you getting your info? Although nobody has yet said what Circle W means, the scopes bearing that mark have nothing in common with Vixens from the same period. They share more in common with Circle Z (Tanzutsu) and Circle T Towa. Also, If you are talking about Wray of the UK, no way!

Are you so sure???

Yes, Wray of UK. Thats it

I read some info pointing me there and it was overwhelmingly credible

Aside from that, there is this.
A bit coincidental, no?

And Vixen-Vista had a partnership. They made nocs too. Check it out just google it. Anyway, i think it is Wray. I reallly do.

See the symbol, here

540x360.jpg

Edited by Stayintheshadows, 11 January 2021 - 04:11 PM.

• LukaszLu likes this

#313 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:40 PM

Are you so sure???

Yes, Wray of UK. Thats it

I read some info pointing me there and it was overwhelmingly credible

Aside from that, there is this.
A bit coincidental, no?

And Vixen-Vista had a partnership. They made nocs too. Check it out just google it. Anyway, i think it is Wray. I reallly do.

See the symbol, here

I'm very sure. Wray was a British manufacturer and while they did make binoculars I see no evidence that they ever made or branded telescope optics, especially in the time frame that your Japanese Jason was made. (likely in the late 70's or '80s when Wray was no longer in business). Show me a source that says they did.

As for Vista-Vixen, again please show a link to a partnership. The only thing that I've found is some binoculars and it appears that Vista was a either a Brand or Model line not an optical company. Orion and Bushnell also used the name on some of their models.

Keep in mind that binoculars and telescopes branded by the same company don't always have a makers connection. The connection between makers and brand/importers is very complex and varied from year to year and model. And yes, at times Vixen and other optical companies sold telescopes and binoculars made by others.

BTW, most folks here believe the makers marks on telescopes are thought to be the assemblers, not the source of the lens. 

Edited by Kasmos, 11 January 2021 - 05:45 PM.

• Terra Nova, GreyDay and Bowlerhat like this

#314 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Moderators
  • Loc: Flossmoor Il.

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:39 PM

I just received these two brass finderscope rings. I didnt know what to expect, but they are more delicate than I expected. They are cast and look to be for a 30mm or so finderscope and the base seems to fit a 3" dia OTA. They are pretty rough, casting-wise and look OLD, definitely not South Asian or Indian. Anybody seen these before?

Sean

Attached Thumbnails

• PXL_20210112_002126227.jpg

• astro140, Bomber Bob, Garyth64 and 1 other like this

#315 Stayintheshadows

Stayintheshadows

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 January 2021 - 12:31 PM

I'm very sure. Wray was a British manufacturer and while they did make binoculars I see no evidence that they ever made or branded telescope optics, especially in the time frame that your Japanese Jason was made. (likely in the late 70's or '80s when Wray was no longer in business). Show me a source that says they did.

As for Vista-Vixen, again please show a link to a partnership. The only thing that I've found is some binoculars and it appears that Vista was a either a Brand or Model line not an optical company. Orion and Bushnell also used the name on some of their models.

Keep in mind that binoculars and telescopes branded by the same company don't always have a makers connection. The connection between makers and brand/importers is very complex and varied from year to year and model. And yes, at times Vixen and other optical companies sold telescopes and binoculars made by others.

BTW, most folks here believe the makers marks on telescopes are thought to be the assemblers, not the source of the lens.

My Jason was manufactured in 1967
Well before the late 70’s or 80’s

Before Jason was formed and created the Empire division of branded products, Jake Levin was in the pearl and fine gem trade. He was very active in Europe— Britain and France.

1967 is an interesting year with a lot of ambiguity surrounding this hobby. Some claim this was the year amateur astronomy took off in Japan.

Wray was intimately involved in lens procurement for the British military. After WWII, in general, there was an abundance in supply for a lot of these war-time suppliers, including lenses.

With an immediate cease in demand, companies were eager to sell their surplus into commercial markets.

Aside from that, it was believed that Wray had a major passion with astronomy and he also devoted a lot of time to the hobby.

Anyway, its all very interesting and i want to know

#316 GreyDay

GreyDay

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:21 PM

The "circle W" has been discussed a few times, those of us who have owned them found them to be optically similar to Towa but built on a lesser budget. They're certainly not up to Vixen standards of the era.

Wray maybe contributed to the war effort but the Tanzutsu eyepieces date your telescope to the mid 70's, Wray ceased trading in 1971 and Tanzutsu EP's started appearing with Tasco's Red (Halley era) scopes and other budget brands in mid to late 70's.

I hate to be the one to shatter the illusion that circleW scopes might be some side project of a well established optical house, but they're not..... They're the last of the cheap Dept store scopes to come out of Japan, just before Korea and China took over. If by some miracle they are Wray then hey! mystery solved, still doesn't make it any less budget than it is.

oh.. found this too.. ". The firm was founded in 1850 by William Wray who was actually a solicitor but like many gentlemen of that time was an enthusiastic amateur astronomer. This interest led him to make his own telescopes and to polishing his own lenses. By 1908 the firm was in a deep decline but was saved by a merger with the Aitchison Company well known for manufacture of prism binoculars."

link: https://rochesteravi...y-optical-works

Edited by GreyDay, 13 January 2021 - 02:51 PM.

• Kasmos likes this

#317 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:50 PM

My Jason was manufactured in 1967
Well before the late 70’s or 80’s

Before Jason was formed and created the Empire division of branded products, Jake Levin was in the pearl and fine gem trade. He was very active in Europe— Britain and France.

1967 is an interesting year with a lot of ambiguity surrounding this hobby. Some claim this was the year amateur astronomy took off in Japan.

Wray was intimately involved in lens procurement for the British military. After WWII, in general, there was an abundance in supply for a lot of these war-time suppliers, including lenses.

With an immediate cease in demand, companies were eager to sell their surplus into commercial markets.

Aside from that, it was believed that Wray had a major passion with astronomy and he also devoted a lot of time to the hobby.

Anyway, its all very interesting and i want to know

Your scope is from the late '70s or '80s.

The round inspection sticker on your tube helps date it.

If it was made in 1967 it would be marked Circle T (Towa) and have a oval inspection sticker.

https://www.cloudyni...lick/?p=7099732

https://www.cloudyni...arch/?p=7256328

While what you said above may be of interest, they offer no facts in relation to who supplied the parts or optics to your telescope.

Edited by Kasmos, 13 January 2021 - 08:57 PM.

#318 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:51 PM

Vintage Finds within a Vintage Find...

Going on 2 years ago, I bought a vintage Hino Mizar MMD single-axis motor drive on Goodwill:

Hino Mizar MMD A01.jpg

2021 is a Dual Retirement Year at The Swamp:  Me in SEPT (military), and Debra in DEC (DOD civil service).  With the Christmas / Gift-Wrapping Shop done, we've started cleaning out closets & drawers in our guest rooms...  I had squirreled away the MMD box, and found some additional vintage stuff...

But 1st:  I've been calling this system MMD II, when it's actually labelled on the box (in pretty gold embossed characters), Hino Mizar MMD-III.  So, I've been off by one Roman numeral all this time.  2nd, there's a sticker on the box:  SP for Super Polaris.  This makes me wonder if my Mizar AR-1 EQ uses a different MMD-III system...

3rd, and the best find:  2 small silver boxes shoved into a groove in the Styrofoam, each containing an Optica b/c style .965" format color filter -- #21 Orange & #47 Deep Blue.  Both filters are pristine, and Japan-made.  Both were purchased at Wilson Camera for $18 each.  With luck, I'll be testing these vintage filters on the Moon & Mars tonight with my C102 refractor...

• photiost, RichA, mdowns and 9 others like this

#319 hypergolic

hypergolic

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Georgia

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:36 PM

Surveyors telescope...

https://www.ebay.com...vMAAOSw0YBf-fv~

#320 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

Posted 18 January 2021 - 04:11 AM

Surveyors telescope...

https://www.ebay.com...vMAAOSw0YBf-fv~

Sorry wrong thread. This is finds, as in what you found and bought. 

A common mistake. You might want to delete it and post it in the ad thread here:

https://www.cloudyni...6#entry10813321

• Terra Nova likes this

#321 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 January 2021 - 06:50 PM

Kenko TA-910. Found in Germany, brought to Poland. Cleaning and regreasing in progress...

I'm happy to see the illustration on the box. At last I will be able to observe distant galaxies! :-)

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210121_133442(0).jpg
  • 20210121_133512.jpg

Edited by LukaszLu, 21 January 2021 - 06:53 PM.

• Steve_M_M, CharlieB, R Botero and 13 others like this

#322 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:53 AM

Kenko TA-910. Found in Germany, brought to Poland. Cleaning and regreasing in progress...

I'm happy to see the illustration on the box. At last I will be able to observe distant galaxies! :-)

"Telescope for the demanding amateur astronomer" indeed! Very nice, the scope and mount look very similar to my "Polaroscope" 60x910mm. Is there a maker's mark on the focusser or the objective?

#323 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:43 AM

This is how it looks - "Circle K" means "Kenko" I suppose. Is there a way to determine the age based on the "Passed JTII" sticker? Is the timeline the same as for eyepiece stickers?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210122_013705(0).jpg

• R Botero, oldmanastro and Bagwell like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics