•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
4324 replies to this topic

#4101 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 19 February 2024 - 07:53 PM

What, qualitatively, does a Cave tube smell like?

Nothing like that get high great smell of a Parks tube. Same for my Meade fiberlite. But a Parks tube is pure magic when ya take a deep sniff.

• steve t and djgilley like this

#4102 brian dewelles

brian dewelles

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wickenburg AZ.

Posted 19 February 2024 - 09:45 PM

They never had slo- mo's joe.

My 628 has slo/mo on RA and on Dec slo/mo tangent arm.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20240217_160128.jpg

• tim53, photiost, steve t and 4 others like this

#4103 cavedweller

cavedweller

Viking 1

• Loc: Ridgecrest, CA

Posted 19 February 2024 - 10:00 PM

What, qualitatively, does a Cave tube smell like?

My comment was only a reference to a comedy duo of the ‘70s.

• ErnH2O likes this

#4104 tim53

tim53

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 19 February 2024 - 11:41 PM

The second mount is the Meade # 628 made for their 6” f/8 reflector. 

The RA has a motor which uses a "friction clutch" for movement.  The Dec has the thumbscrew clamp

Tube ring ID is 7.5 inches. I Plugged in the motor and it seems to be humming / working..

That has the standard motor, not the one with the knob on top for manual override of the main clutch.  We usually advised people not opt for the clutch motor with the knob, as they weren't adjustable and would only get sloppy with wear.

Meade was already making these when I started working there in about June 1979, but it probably wasn't long before then that the first ones were made.  What is the clock cover made out of?  The very earliest ones were cast aluminum, but they quickly changed to plastic covers.

-Tim.

#4105 photiost

photiost

Soyuz

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 19 February 2024 - 11:44 PM

Nice !! 

What is the length of the pier ?

#4106 RichA

RichA

Voyager 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 20 February 2024 - 01:34 AM

My comment was only a reference to a comedy duo of the ‘70s.

The late 1970's Celestron catalog had a distinct and not unpleasant smell.

• djgilley likes this

#4107 cavedweller

cavedweller

Viking 1

Posted 20 February 2024 - 05:51 AM

This Tasco appears to have it, at least on the RA:

https://www.facebook...16804245721228/

Facebook Pic.jpg

Edited by cavedweller, 20 February 2024 - 05:54 AM.

• photiost and Bomber Bob like this

#4108 jragsdale

jragsdale

Gemini

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 20 February 2024 - 09:54 PM

This is more of an Vintage Astronomy find than a telescope find, but I'm quite the Leslie Peltier fan and finally tracked down a signed 1st edition copy of Starlight Nights to add to my collection. This will go very nicely in my Peltier collection next to my signed "The Place on Jennings Creek".

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20240220_195044_eBay.jpg

• scottinash, Bob Campbell, davidmcgo and 16 others like this

#4109 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 21 February 2024 - 06:55 AM

I guess it was a option. Mine came with no drive at all so no wonder.  My other 826 with drive did not have a SLO-MO.

#4110 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 21 February 2024 - 10:41 AM

I bought a Orion Skyview 8 Deluxe optical tube yesterday.

I went back thru Orion's vintage telescope site and as far as I can tell it was built around

2000, I will show it off here in a few years.

Here's the site for older equipment, owners manuals mostly, and the manuals have copyrights

for dates of product introduction:

https://www.telescop...intage-products

You are probably wondering why I would be interested in itbelushi.gif  

It's f/4 and only 30 inches long, it is so short.

It is made by GSO, good quality.

It is really beat up requiring a complete overhaul.

I would like to experience the universe at f/4.

It might make a nice camera lens, I keep saying I would like to try imaging.

Robert

• Bomber Bob, djgilley and jkmccarthy like this

#4111 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 21 February 2024 - 10:46 AM

I bought a Orion Skyview 8 Deluxe optical tube yesterday.

I went back thru Orion's vintage telescope site and as far as I can tell it was built around

2000, I will show it off here in a few years.

Here's the site for older equipment, owners manuals mostly, and the manuals have copyrights

for dates of product introduction:

https://www.telescop...intage-products

You are probably wondering why I would be interested in itbelushi.gif  

It's f/4 and only 30 inches long, it is so short.

It is made by GSO, good quality.

It is really beat up requiring a complete overhaul.

I would like to experience the universe at f/4.

It might make a nice camera lens, I keep saying I would like to try imaging.

Robert

GSO make an inexpensive coma corrector for it.

-drl

• Bomber Bob likes this

#4112 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 21 February 2024 - 10:51 AM

-drl

That is great to know because I know I'm going to have eyepiece trouble at this super fast speed.

I'm a little familiar because Coulter Odyssey 8 is f/4.5 and  finicky about ep's.

Robert   

• Bomber Bob likes this

#4113 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 21 February 2024 - 11:03 AM

That is great to know because I know I'm going to have eyepiece trouble at this super fast speed.

I'm a little familiar because Coulter Odyssey 8 is f/4.5 and  finicky about ep's.

Robert   

I believe that Orion scope is f/4.7 so it's out of crazy into merely agitated. But yes there is a LOT of coma. Orthos work fine even without a corrector at f/5. I tested the 10" f/4.7 version once, it was pretty good. You can go back to polishing and make it perfect.

-drl

• clamchip likes this

#4114 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 21 February 2024 - 11:05 AM

-drl

I bought a 2" GSO Paracorr for my Edmund 6" F4 Newt -- really made a difference.  Grandkids have that gear now, and the Views they get out in the country...

• clamchip, steve t, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#4115 Garyth64

Garyth64

Cosmos

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 24 February 2024 - 04:04 PM

Taking care of this Meade 826, 8" f/6.  It is one of a few donated scopes to our club.

Meade 8f6 white 01.jpg

It's fairly complete and has its mount, pier, CWs, and CD.  The mirror is a little dirty, but the coating, which was done by Pancro, may not be too bad. Same for the secondary.

I'll check out the parabola later. 

It will need a lot of work to get it working good.  More pictures later.

Edited by Garyth64, 24 February 2024 - 04:53 PM.

• scottinash, deSitter, tim53 and 8 others like this

#4116 cavedweller

cavedweller

Viking 1

Posted 26 February 2024 - 10:53 PM

I went ahead and picked up this Meade MTS SN6. It is like new in the original box. Unfortunately, it is Box 1 of 2 and missing the pier and legs, and whatever small accessories it may have originally come with, including the drive controller.

I am hoping I can adapt it to the original pier and legs of my 10" Starfinder EQ. I will need to do some digging to find those since I have not used them for over 20 years.

SN6.jpg

• scottinash, deSitter, tim53 and 8 others like this

#4117 TORSTI

TORSTI

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Finland, Vantaa

Posted 27 February 2024 - 04:24 AM

Hello. My three vintage finds. 2 x towa 339(Instru-scope bränded) and 114/900 newton (also instru-scope). 114/900 newton were unused in factory package. The both mounts of Towa 339 are in bad shape, clutches and worms are worn out. both lenses of Towa 339 are very clean after disassembly and assembly. Are these Towa 339 lenses usually assembled without o-ring between crown and retaining ring? Both were without o-ring, but with clear plastic spacers (0.32mm) under the flint and between crown and flint. I add 81,5 x 1,5 o-ring under retaining ring of both lens.

Jyrki

Attached Thumbnails

• Towa1.jpg
  • Towa2.jpg
  • Towa3.jpg
  • Towa4.jpg
  • Towa5.jpg

Edited by TORSTI, 27 February 2024 - 06:49 AM.

• deSitter, R Botero, RichA and 12 others like this

#4118 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 27 February 2024 - 06:00 AM

Hello. My three vintage finds. 2 x towa 339(Instru-scope bränded) and 114/900 newton (also instru-scope). 114/900 newton were unused in factory package. The both mounts of Towa 339 are in bad shape, clutches and worms are worn out. both lenses of Towa 339 are very clean after disassembly and assembly. Are these Towa 339 lenses usually assembled without o-ring between crown and retaining ring? Both were without o-ring, but with clear plastic ring under the flint and between crown and flint. I add 81,5 x 1,5 o-ring under both lens retaining ring.

Jyrki

Yes, some have plastic rings as spacers. They are very delicate! One of my scopes (a modern one) lost its ring so I made one from a length of stranded wire of exactly the right length tucked against the cell carefully with the ends butting together. It has to be exactly the right length. Then the sandwich of lenses keeps it in place.

-drl

• TORSTI likes this

#4119 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 27 February 2024 - 06:45 AM

I went ahead and picked up this Meade MTS SN6. It is like new in the original box. Unfortunately, it is Box 1 of 2 and missing the pier and legs, and whatever small accessories it may have originally come with, including the drive controller.

I am hoping I can adapt it to the original pier and legs of my 10" Starfinder EQ. I will need to do some digging to find those since I have not used them for over 20 years.

attachicon.gif SN6.jpg

There is a junky one by me for sale.

#4120 spartan1

spartan1

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:59 AM

I have this scope.  'Tasco (engraved in red) 30x-90x 60mm zoom achromat coated (circle) T'.  It has the lovely Tasco banding on the zoom, focuser, fine latitude and Dec knobs.

The book that it came with is dated 1984.  The warranty is interesting...it is warranted 'FOREVER' by Tasco.  Never seen that before! 

I would like just a little history if anyone knows anything about the model. It is 60mm x 500mm and the finderscope is 4x20mm.  It has an oval label 'BT' on the OTA and the sticker Made in Japan...but nothing else. 

Attached Thumbnails

• tas2.jpg
  • Tasco60mm.jpg
  • tas3.jpg
  • tas4.jpg

• TORSTI, R Botero, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#4121 cavedweller

cavedweller

Viking 1

Posted 28 February 2024 - 11:42 PM

attachicon.gif SN6.jpg

I thought I was posting here, but I was in the other topic. Anyways, I found a hand controller that I think will work. I still need to dig out the pier.

https://www.cloudyni...day/?p=13294867

#4122 MisterDan

MisterDan

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 29 February 2024 - 01:42 AM

I have this scope.  'Tasco (engraved in red) 30x-90x 60mm zoom achromat coated (circle) T'.  It has the lovely Tasco banding on the zoom, focuser, fine latitude and Dec knobs.

The book that it came with is dated 1984.  The warranty is interesting...it is warranted 'FOREVER' by Tasco.  Never seen that before! 

I would like just a little history if anyone knows anything about the model. It is 60mm x 500mm and the finderscope is 4x20mm.  It has an oval label 'BT' on the OTA and the sticker Made in Japan...but nothing else. 

I'm not sure where to go from here, but this catalog certainly references a "sibling" Terra.  The 89T and 88T - according to the catalog, anyhoo - are obviously very similar and differ (mostly) by color(...?...).

It's also possible that the 89T is actually 30x-90x (instead of 20x-60x as noted in the catalog). -But the 89T's OTA does seem "shorter" than yours...

https://yumarin7.sak...kan/tascoq1.pdf

If your 30x-90x OTA is, indeed, longer, that may well explain the differences in magnification.  The higher/greater zoom, plus your finder's larger aperture, might also indicate an "upgraded" (hence, later/more-recent - "evolution") of the 88T/89T model(s).

-A seemingly quite rare... or "mis-cataloged"... vintage Tasco/Towa, in either case!

Cheers and thanks for sharing!

Dan

• spartan1 likes this

#4123 cavedweller

cavedweller

Viking 1

Posted 29 February 2024 - 04:29 PM

attachicon.gif SN6.jpg

I found the Starfinder pier. First old thing I looked for in a long time that didn't take half the day to find.

It works without modification, although a little short. I think it will be great for outreach where there will be a lot of kids.

Starfinder Pier.jpg

• tim53, abe, astro140 and 9 others like this

#4124 RichA

RichA

Voyager 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 29 February 2024 - 04:41 PM

attachicon.gif SN6.jpg

Nice find, I loved mounting a 3.5 inch apo refractor on that mount, I like forks.  Should be able to adapt the upper part of them mount to any pier.

• tim53 and Bomber Bob like this

#4125 spartan1

spartan1

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 February 2024 - 07:33 PM

I'm not sure where to go from here, but this catalog certainly references a "sibling" Terra.  The 89T and 88T - according to the catalog, anyhoo - are obviously very similar and differ (mostly) by color(...?...).

It's also possible that the 89T is actually 30x-90x (instead of 20x-60x as noted in the catalog). -But the 89T's OTA does seem "shorter" than yours...

https://yumarin7.sak...kan/tascoq1.pdf

If your 30x-90x OTA is, indeed, longer, that may well explain the differences in magnification.  The higher/greater zoom, plus your finder's larger aperture, might also indicate an "upgraded" (hence, later/more-recent - "evolution") of the 88T/89T model(s).

-A seemingly quite rare... or "mis-cataloged"... vintage Tasco/Towa, in either case!

Cheers and thanks for sharing!

Dan

Hello Dan and thanks for the reply.  The catalogue you attached maybe lists the closest spec scope just after the #88T...the #44T 30-90x Starfinder refractor zoom but with the twist focuser of the 89T rather than rack and pinion.  I think my measuring of the finderscope as a 4x20 is perhaps incorrect and that it could be 4x15mm, as I was looking at the outside diameter. So maybe its just the rear focusing unit that was interchangeable whether you wanted a 20-60x or 30-90x?  They dont mention the length of the OTA anywhere there but I would think its the same for all of those red scopes listed.   Philip

• MisterDan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics