•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
513 replies to this topic

#501 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

Posted Yesterday, 06:38 AM

Looks good!

Looks chubby stable, doesn't it? Nicely done, BB!

• Bomber Bob likes this

#502 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

Posted Yesterday, 07:11 AM

Sears 24146 50/600 came in:

Sears 24146 12
Sears 24146 00
Sears 24146 01

and I thought it had Baffle Issues:
Sears 24146 02
Sears 24146 04

Instead, I found:

Sears 24146 06
How strange. $1, but it's the thought that counts waytogo.gif

Tube on 2x4, small ballpeen [tap][tap][tap] x 3 on the soft alu yielded:

Sears 24146 07
Not perfect, but this is a soft, flexing tube, so close enough is good - less chance to damage threads.
ballpeen [tap][tap][tap] fixes many problems.

Then the mess of the objective - "Blyech" I muttered:
Sears 24146 10
Sears 24146 09
Sears 24146 08

a few alcohol wipes got this far (missed stuff near the edges):

Sears 24146 11

and a few more and some Alky Q-tips finished it for the moment (no photo of that). 
Needs some hardware upgrades- bolts, wingnuts, tray mounts - and a good clean of the gritty feeling post & tilt AltAz. Meh. Objective is stacked right, dewshield does not remove (seems glued) and I need to pull the objective from the cell for a proper cleaning. Tube has semi-gloss paint drizzles and would look nicer with new paint. Interior needs paint at baffles, but it all gets done anyway. Then it goes back to my son - he dropped this and that Bushy Expo off with "They need work?" note. Apparently, I am of some use. Nice break from the 76 & 114 flectors clogging the living room. Sybs got me the US General LOCKING tool cart, unannounced - How very nice of her! Bra-Vo! 

Edited by AstroKerr, Yesterday, 09:25 AM.

• PawPaw, Bomber Bob, GreyDay and 5 others like this

#503 photiost

photiost

Gemini

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted Yesterday, 10:20 AM

Polarex Model 129 : 

75mm, FL 1200mm, 8x30mm Viewfinder; 5 eyepieces; Star diagonal; Sunglass; Erecting prism;

Attached Thumbnails

• Polarex 75mm 1200mm zc resized.jpg

• CharlieB, steve t, mdowns and 11 others like this

#504 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• Loc: Paducah, KY USA

Posted Yesterday, 01:59 PM

That is something!

#505 GreyDay

GreyDay

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted Yesterday, 02:55 PM

Sears 24146 50/600 came in: and I thought it had Baffle Issues: Instead, I found: How strange. $1, but it's the thought that counts waytogo.gif

Needs some hardware upgrades- bolts, wingnuts, tray mounts - and a good clean of the gritty feeling post & tilt AltAz. Meh. Objective is stacked right, dewshield does not remove (seems glued) and I need to pull the objective from the cell for a proper cleaning. Tube has semi-gloss paint drizzles and would look nicer with new paint. Interior needs paint at baffles, but it all gets done anyway.

I've got one of these in the loft... thats where it lives... Mine is branded "Unicon". It's one of the mystery circleW scopes that nobody knows the manufacture of and nobody will take responsibility for. The optics aren't bad once clean and checked for fitting.The focuser works with very little slop, but, on my example the focuser was badly cast and looking down the focuser toward the objective the misallignment was obvious. If i remember right, the objective cell is only held by one screw with the objective sitting inside a sub-cell that fits in the tube. I'd have to get it ftom the loft to check.

After checking the OTA was all square i had to file about 1mm around 1/3 of the focuser flange so it would line up straight. Performance wise it wasn't as sharp as a Tasco(towa) 6TE that i put it up against, but it was equally as sharp as a Synta Danubia Pluto (same as Meade Infinity or Celestron Powerseeker 50's). The only other thing i wasn't keen on are the folding (not sliding) tripod legs which work okay just not adjustable for height. The cost cutting is obvious and falls short of even a tasco, but with a little tinkering they work okay. The reason i still have mine is, I'd rather give away better scopes than this to avoid disappointment for the recipient. Here's a pic of mine :)

50mmUnicon

• steve t, blakestree, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#506 godelescher

godelescher

Mariner 2

Posted Yesterday, 05:00 PM

This arrived today. Kudos to ckk for an excellent packing job. Should get first light on Sunday.

Attached Thumbnails

• rsz_img_20210409_171005342.jpg
  • rsz_img_20210409_171112721.jpg
  • rsz_img_20210409_171129386.jpg

• davidmcgo, steve t, blakestree and 12 others like this

#507 blakestree

blakestree

Mariner 2

• Loc: Savannah, GA

Posted Yesterday, 05:11 PM

I'm totally in love!

• godelescher likes this

#508 1939Dodge

1939Dodge

Vostok 1

• Loc: Pa.

Posted Yesterday, 06:37 PM

Congratulations!

• godelescher likes this

#509 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

Posted Today, 01:12 AM

I've got one of these in the loft... thats where it lives... Mine is branded "Unicon". It's one of the mystery circleW scopes that nobody knows the manufacture of and nobody will take responsibility for. The optics aren't bad once clean and checked for fitting.The focuser works with very little slop, but, on my example the focuser was badly cast and looking down the focuser toward the objective the misallignment was obvious. If i remember right, the objective cell is only held by one screw with the objective sitting inside a sub-cell that fits in the tube. I'd have to get it ftom the loft to check.

After checking the OTA was all square i had to file about 1mm around 1/3 of the focuser flange so it would line up straight. Performance wise it wasn't as sharp as a Tasco(towa) 6TE that i put it up against, but it was equally as sharp as a Synta Danubia Pluto (same as Meade Infinity or Celestron Powerseeker 50's). The only other thing i wasn't keen on are the folding (not sliding) tripod legs which work okay just not adjustable for height. The cost cutting is obvious and falls short of even a tasco, but with a little tinkering they work okay. The reason i still have mine is, I'd rather give away better scopes than this to avoid disappointment for the recipient. Here's a pic of mine smile.gif

That is an easy point to hit with some of these - this 24146 is hitting that mark. It's got the peep-bracket finder, doesn't have enough in-focus for any of the prism/mirror diags (tried 4 so far, but yes, I knew...). I have to find one of my spanners and get the cell apart - I can't see any spacers and there's an area that looks delam'd, so I'm fair sure it's glued, which is another shame because the star test was 'okay', but looked like it would benefit from a little indexing - I have a couple 50/600 air spaced objectives, so maybe-maybe. Compression bolt/spacers/etc need tuning on the Alt tilt. I have the Alu blade on the chopsaw, so a tube shortening to friendly things up for diags is quick and easy, but this isn't my scope (I think) so it ain't my call. Son said "You mentioned you were looking for older 50s and I found this!" Grin. Didn't say it was for me though, so I'm treating it as his and that means doing the work on it now rather than later, which is a right pain in the arsh - there's still his Expo to eval, my Mizar to work on, the 'flectors to finish up + orig mounts, and 5 DobsiBerries to finish sketches, cut, build and tweak.

So, tonight at least, I am not fond of this bloody keine Diagonal designed little Sears - some little thing wrong or missing everywhere (Did I mention the missing: folding leg stop on one legs, Tray and whatever the hell it was supposed to be attached with?) Playing with these unconstrained, non-adjustable legs made me think small center plate with three spring-loaded cord/cable/chain grabs - more toil, but would be useful. Hang the EP tray from the hub on three cords or cables or a piece of allthread - just want a tray with three holes. I don't often get annoyed with scopes - but this one's timing and abilities are off. Personally, this is one I'd chop to diag length and replace the Objective with an air spaced if it fits... Oh, the hub's too small / leg lugs too close and at least one leg upper section needs to be partially stripped and steamed straight. It doesn't have to be, but...

Some days, this is too much like a job... that only pays doe-eyed smiles and hugs. yes. hmmph.

This arrived today. Kudos to ckk for an excellent packing job. Should get first light on Sunday.

That is Inspiring - all Carton, little to no hassle - well done!

Edited by AstroKerr, Today, 12:12 PM.

• godelescher, steve t and GreyDay like this

#510 GreyDay

GreyDay

Messenger

• -----

Posted Today, 05:01 AM

Some days, this is too much like a job... that only pays doe-eyed smiles and hugs. yes. hmmph.

Sometimes the "Doe eyed smiles" are payment enough :)

Further points on the scope itself, yours looks earlier than mine, yours has metal focuser wheels and different eyepiece collar. Surprised it wont focus, mine came with a prism diagonal and the one that came with the 6TE worked fine testing them back to back using the same EP and diagonal. No tray or provision to mount one either, but once everything was tightened on the tripod it didn't need a tray for stability as the whole setup is so light anyway. The legs were straight but the fittings are cheap "pressed" wingnuts all zinc coated, the Alt lock bolt is also very "on/off" making slight adjustments almost impossible, the mating faces werent flat which i fixed by placing a disc of wet&dry between them, once tightened up I then moved through the full arc a few dozen times then re tighten and repeat. This helped a lot, it would hold the scope at 45 degrees without having to wrench the wingnut.

The OTA of mine is thinner alu than a tasco and all the threading holes are rough and dented in as though they used the tap and extra pressure instead of drilling then tapping. generally as i said earlier these scopes work okay with a little love and attention, it's not a bad scope optically once fixed, it just screams "budget" from every angle.

• steve t and AstroKerr like this

#511 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

Posted Today, 11:54 AM

Sometimes the "Doe eyed smiles" are payment enough smile.gif

Further points on the scope itself, yours looks earlier than mine, yours has metal focuser wheels and different eyepiece collar. Surprised it wont focus, mine came with a prism diagonal and the one that came with the 6TE worked fine testing them back to back using the same EP and diagonal. No tray or provision to mount one either, but once everything was tightened on the tripod it didn't need a tray for stability as the whole setup is so light anyway. The legs were straight but the fittings are cheap "pressed" wingnuts all zinc coated, the Alt lock bolt is also very "on/off" making slight adjustments almost impossible, the mating faces werent flat which i fixed by placing a disc of wet&dry between them, once tightened up I then moved through the full arc a few dozen times then re tighten and repeat. This helped a lot, it would hold the scope at 45 degrees without having to wrench the wingnut.

The OTA of mine is thinner alu than a tasco and all the threading holes are rough and dented in as though they used the tap and extra pressure instead of drilling then tapping. generally as i said earlier these scopes work okay with a little love and attention, it's not a bad scope optically once fixed, it just screams "budget" from every angle.

It focuses now - took the average of a TelescopeWarehouse Hybrid, one of EMs .965 prism diags, slightly fancier hybrid - came out to ~55mm. Couldn't solid focus on any 9mms, so I took 10mm more. That was fine, but 4~5mm EPs were soft, so I took another 10mm; can run 3.2mm to 40mm (old Meade .965 & newer Celes 1.25) and have ~7mm spare in-focus and I didn't measure the out, but it's 10mm at least. 75mm!! I really thought I was nuts, but it's working fine. Son stopped by on way to range (0530) to chat with Sybs and I before she went patrol-o-roving and I ended up buying the thing. I cut with impunity! Glad I did it - tried a straight-thru .965 to 1.25 and didn't like it - same no in-focus, just not as much - and lack of 90°. 

Yes, same situation on screwholes here - looks like a quick under-drill, then self-tappers wrenched in - screws are blunt and metal is dented in as you say. They're solid, but sill meh - but no nuts and washers to futz with is nice.  The mount isn't bad for sweeping, so I can forgive no slo-mos. I usually assign scopes like these to rings-n-rails and newer mounts, but this thing is growing on me. The tripods is ungainly, but even without any tensioning between legs, it's fair solid - no shakes, no settle time I've noticed. The stop brackets on the folding legs have tabs that might've been for chain ends or thin cable loops, but I wouldn't trust'em. Research more time, I suppose. I don't think the peepsight is going back on - too wide a view and two of it's mounting holes got chopped - RDF is likely, as is re-blackening and new paint. I have to find my spanners and those air-spaced 50s... enough of this - tools to find, work to do! Huzzah!!

Oh yes - the Alt! One tab threaded , piece of all thread, washer, wingnut. Threaded side tab is getting a small dab of locktite, probably. Right now a few cycles of the wingnut work it loose and it seems to creep out 1/8th turn - which isn't much, but if I forget to check, it will fall out and drop the baby and we won't have that, no no no. I'll try a scrub up first, though.

Doe-eyed smiles & hugs are always enough =) My granddaughters are more ledger-y, however. They show up with stuff - they bring receipts, take their markup, check the ledgers on my side. If they need something built or fixed, G & I get cookies. If they bring parts, we pay cash or barter and they know prices. Good business minds - love dealing with them, real fair no bs traders, very sharp. 

Edited by AstroKerr, Today, 01:34 PM.

• Bomber Bob and GreyDay like this

#512 Falcon_1898

Falcon_1898

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Today, 05:13 PM

Hi all, 

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, if not, please let me know which forum I should post and if it needs to be in its own thread. 

I've read all the threads regarding Bausch & Lomb 61-8080 spotting scope/light weight mirror lens on CN - pretty interesting little thing. 

I have an opportunity to obtain a copy in rather good shape. Is it worth $150? I've seen people pay $20 or $30 for them on this forum...that seems to be quite a gap between the prices. Any advise is appreciated!

#513 GreyDay

GreyDay

Messenger

• -----

Posted Today, 06:35 PM

I've read all the threads regarding Bausch & Lomb 61-8080 spotting scope/light weight mirror lens on CN - pretty interesting little thing. 

I have an opportunity to obtain a copy in rather good shape. Is it worth $150? I've seen people pay $20 or $30 for them on this forum...that seems to be quite a gap between the prices. Any advise is appreciated!

If you've read all the threads you'll know the underlying problem is collimation and dim image  caused by the 50% obstruction, for a full review and test go to page 34 in this pdf https://www.google.c...8wQr4kDegQIARBa.

For the money ($150) i'd pay an extra $49 and buy the Orion Starmax 90 currently retailing at $199.  For the extra cash you get modern coatings, 10mm more aperture, better resolution, smaller central obstruction and 12 months warranty. The 8080's look nice but they were designed for photography as a mirror lens, hence no mention of "telescope" on the retail box. If you could pick one up cheap then sure why not try it, but at $150 there are better options.

• blakestree and Falcon_1898 like this

#514 Falcon_1898

Falcon_1898

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Today, 07:41 PM

If you've read all the threads you'll know the underlying problem is collimation and dim image  caused by the 50% obstruction, for a full review and test go to page 34 in this pdf https://www.google.c...8wQr4kDegQIARBa.

For the money ($150) i'd pay an extra $49 and buy the Orion Starmax 90 currently retailing at $199.  For the extra cash you get modern coatings, 10mm more aperture, better resolution, smaller central obstruction and 12 months warranty. The 8080's look nice but they were designed for photography as a mirror lens, hence no mention of "telescope" on the retail box. If you could pick one up cheap then sure why not try it, but at $150 there are better options.

Thank you for the input. The attached review is wonderfully thorough! 

Would this be considered as a collectable? Seems quite quirky. :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics