•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
764 replies to this topic

#576 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:50 PM

The Edmund 4" came today. Its box was a bit beat up around the edges, but not badly. 

Edmund 4 - 1.jpeg

It was packed well internally, so everything stayed in place. The custom box is lined with red velvet, and has spring-loaded brackets to hold the OTA and finder. 

Edmund 4 - 3.jpeg

All of the accessories were bagged, and paper was stuffed firmly on all sides. The planisphere has a tag from Wayne State University, and was 60 cents. The catalog envelope (which I think may be the one that goes with my 1968 catalog because of the matching cover text) has 12 cents postage, plus 2 cents extra postage. That may help dating it. 

Edmund 4 - 4.jpeg

The tube is somewhat dirty, but just a few nicks in the paint. The dew shield is a bit scuffed in a few places, but otherwise straight, and fits snugly. It has the three standard eyepieces, diagonal, extension tube, barlow, and a T-adapter with a Miranda thread mount. It also has the bracket for the camera mount rod, which I will probably make into a solar projection screen holder. The finder has a few of the usual nicks from the mount screws, but it really in very good condition, with intact crosshairs. 

Edmund 4 - 5.jpeg

The objective came through unharmed, and is free of chips or scratches. The original Palomar Junior lens cap brings back memories of my first serious scope (a Deluxe Space Conqueror). It's still flexible, and the elastic is springy. They deteriorate easily though, so I'll get something else to use as a cap and store it away,

Edmund 4 - 6.jpeg

I knew from the seller's pictures that two of the spacers had moved. Checking it under a fluorescent bulb, the Newton's rings are indeed all the way to one side. I'm not looking forward to unloading these lenses, since the cell can't be removed without having the screws fall inside. But maybe it I'll do that anyway. Checking it with a cheshire eyepiece shows it to be out of collimation. But there's no fungus, just some light haze, and a bit of dust.

Edmund 4 - 7.jpeg

The focuser has some bad corrosion. I cleaned it up, but that just revealed the loss of paint. It should be taken apart and given a recoat. The mechanism, however, is fairly smooth, and it seems to not droop. 

Edmund 4 - 8.jpeg

I took it for a test-spin on my favorite test subject (a building about 8 miles distant), using my favorite test mount (a kitchen chair), and despite the issues with the spacers and collimation, it put up some very nice images. I was seeing detail that the 76mm Astro optical scopes struggle with. Quite sharp at 250X, and even held up fairly well at 375X, although the CA was becoming obvious at nearly 100X per inch. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do when the issues are resolved. 

The Edmund diagonal, even though the prism is loose, was sharper than a Celestron prism. Using the extension tube meant that the focuser didn't have to run out very far, and the fact that it slides about 4" into the focuser tube seemed to reinforce the long extension. However, it really struggled to keep heavier eyepieces upright. Fortunately, it also gave nice views with some lightweight Celestron Plossls. I'm not sure if I want to try to restore the focuser, or replace it with something more modern for actual use. I worry about it dropping eyepieces, but it's still quite usable. Perhaps I'll restore it, but then store it with the lens cap and accessories. First I'll give it some time to see how it goes. 

The original eyepieces were not nearly as good, and although the barlow has nicer optics than the one that came with my Space Conqueror, its still not great. Those will get bagged up and stored. 

The tube cleaned up nicely, but it has a purple stain in the paint, running down the side where it was in contact with the velvet. I tried Flitz, cleaner with bleach, and mineral spirits on a small spot, but it seems fairly permanent. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them. The anodizing on the outside of the dew shield also polished up well. 

Although it's long, I'm impressed with how light it is. I have to make some brackets so I can get it on a mount (all of the Edmund reflectors are out on loan). I'm thinking I can adapt it to a dovetail, and put it on my old 706 mount. 

Should be a fun project. I hope to have it ready to use with my current class in a couple of weeks. 

Chip W. 

• Steve_M_M, photiost, astro140 and 21 others like this

#577 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:27 PM

Chip......Congrats on the Edmund!   I have experience removing the cell and lens from my 4 inch and it is not easy but sure you can do it if anyone can.  After removing the acorn nuts I let my screws drop inside the tube and glued permanent  standard nuts inside the OTA when replacing.  It worked like a charm.  

As for the purple stain I have had good luck using "Awesome cleaner"  Full strength and let it sit on the stain for a few minutes.  

Cheers

Don

Edited by PawPaw, 20 April 2021 - 05:28 PM.

• Defenderslideguitar and AstroKerr like this

#578 norvegicus

norvegicus

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southern Shore of Gitche Gumee

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:54 PM

I was pretty interested in that scope but I think it found a better home than I could give it.  :)

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#579 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:11 PM

Following up on the catalog envelope with the Edmund 4", third class postage increased in January of 1968. I found a picture of catalog 681 (mine is 685, May of 68) that has similar phrasing on the cover, but I couldn't find it on catalogs from 1967. So it would make sense that they had to stamp the envelope for the January catalog with an extra 2 cents. If this catalog was included with the telescope, then it would date from early 1968. If it was a catalog the original owner used to order the telescope, then it could have been somewhat later. I think it is less likely that the original owner put a random Edmund catalog envelope in with the scope. So, for now, I'm going to assume that it is from 1968.

The booklet with the planisphere is dated 5-69, but the Planisphere seems to have been purchased separately, from the Wayne State University bookstore. 

Chip W. 

• TSSClay and Defenderslideguitar like this

#580 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:06 PM

I was pretty interested in that scope but I think it found a better home than I could give it.  smile.gif

Funny,  I have been thinking the same thing. That Edmund has landed where it can be restored and cared for better than what I could have done with my present skill level and experience....

I realize that I do better when someone more experienced does the full work up  and later on  if they ever list it   I am ready to take it in and benefit from their expertise   and we value that and happily pay more for that.

Having said that,   how do folks get the experience taking a lens apart and fixing, replacing, adjusting what is needed?   Maybe I should practice taking apart   a basket case refractor? You know the one I could not even give away

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 21 April 2021 - 02:07 PM.

• AstroKerr and Matty S like this

#581 Matty S

Matty S

Messenger

• Loc: Hillsboro, Nh

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:35 PM

Funny,  I have been thinking the same thing. That Edmund has landed where it can be restored and cared for better than what I could have done with my present skill level and experience....

I realize that I do better when someone more experienced does the full work up  and later on  if they ever list it   I am ready to take it in and benefit from their expertise   and we value that and happily pay more for that.

Having said that,   how do folks get the experience taking a lens apart and fixing, replacing, adjusting what is needed?   Maybe I should practice taking apart   a basket case refractor? You know the one I could not even give away

After the ATCO disaster I've sworn off working on classic scopes, except for general cleaning and paint touch-ups.

Oh, I've no problem tearing down, cleaning and rebuilding my modern scopes - erm, except the Tak...

But they're more easily replaceable, and most don't need rare, exotic tools and specialized knowledge to play with them.

I'm all for finding and paying for better examples of classics that I can afford (both monetarily and storage-wise).

I'm a sometime collector, not a scope doctor. I'll leave the renovations to those with the skills, knowledge, paint and machine shops to make 'em pretty for me!smirk.gif

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#582 Matty S

Matty S

Messenger

Posted 21 April 2021 - 03:01 PM

More on topic, I made a purchase today which I may or may not regret as I've not seen one like it anywhere. Delivery due on the 29th... grin.gif

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, GreyDay and 1 other like this

#583 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:12 PM

In my case, it was buying a lot of them, as cheaply as I could get them (meaning they nearly all had problems), and having a deadline by which they had to be ready for use by others. Necessity is the mother of problem solving. In some cases, like one really damaged ATCO, there was nowhere to go but up. Even if I had dropped the lens, it wouldn't have been any less usable. 

Chip W. 

#584 Matty S

Matty S

Messenger

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:58 PM

More on topic, I made a purchase today which I may or may not regret as I've not seen one like it anywhere. Delivery due on the 29th... grin.gif

Funny that ol' Bomber Bob "liked" my post cuz he's about the only one to have posted anything about this particular critter (sorta)... other than that, perhaps CharlieB or Chuck may have a clue as to what this thing is... I hate to leave Terra out (she's wonderful, ain't she?) but I feel it's really not her thing - I certainly hope she proves me wrong!blush.gif

Edited by Matty S, 21 April 2021 - 05:01 PM.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and GreyDay like this

#585 norvegicus

norvegicus

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southern Shore of Gitche Gumee

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:32 PM

I bought this little Edmund reflector.  I am really intrigued by the mount, which is like a fully manual equatorial with the polar axis fixed at about my latitude (46 N).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313493366982

Edited by norvegicus, 21 April 2021 - 05:33 PM.

• davidmcgo, Defenderslideguitar, AstroKerr and 2 others like this

#586 Matty S

Matty S

Messenger

Posted 21 April 2021 - 06:14 PM

I bought this little Edmund reflector.  I am really intrigued by the mount, which is like a fully manual equatorial with the polar axis fixed at about my latitude (46 N).

So glad you got that, looks like a clean unit. Good deal too.

I wish I had room but no way could I squeak another newt into this house.

Just squirreling little achros in under the bed by maximizing my smuggling skills is proving to be quite an achievement...sweaty.gif

Edited by Matty S, 21 April 2021 - 06:20 PM.

• Vesper818, Defenderslideguitar, AstroKerr and 2 others like this

#587 Piaget

Piaget

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 21 April 2021 - 06:16 PM

Norvegicus , You bought a little gem there , glad a CNer got it ...

• norvegicus likes this

#588 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:05 PM

Thought about that Edmund 3”f6 but just got a near mint Astroscan with a really sharp image.  Needed a few foam strips slid in behind the mirror but gave a really sharp view of Castor and Gamma Leo last night and the Moon looked nice with a 4mm Takahashi Ortho.  Sharpest focus was a bit low and to the left of the field of that eyepiece so I might add a shim under the edge of the front window and see if I can dial it in better.  But that needs clear skies and the May Gray is here early.

Dave

Edited by davidmcgo, 21 April 2021 - 08:06 PM.

• PawPaw, Defenderslideguitar, AstroKerr and 1 other like this

#589 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 22 April 2021 - 06:46 PM

I'm pretty sure this mirror is a real Dobson.

Why, you might ask?

1. His name is on the back of the mirror. I don't think he signed a whole lot of mirrors that weren't his apart from a few big mirrors near the end of his life.
  2. The Corning blank is down to about 5/8" thick, obviously not original, so it must've been thinned down by being used as a grinding tool.
  3. The chips on the edge obviously predate it being made into a mirror.
  4. The scope this came out of was from the late 1970s, painted in what was clearly once an obviously garish color and had a simple helical focuser, WWII tank sight finder, and a very janky spider and mirror cell. It was subsequently retrofitted by the previous owner with an Edmund focuser and mount.

IMG_9828.JPEG

I could be wrong, but at the very least I think it was made by someone out in S.F. Unfortunately, the previous owner before the guy I got it from (who never used it and got it as a donation) passed away 20 years ago.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9827.JPEG

• Eric P, jim kuhns, steve t and 6 others like this

#590 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Page, AZ 36°54'45"N 111°27'39"W 1327.7AMSL

Posted 23 April 2021 - 11:25 AM

Couldn't sleep, nagging urge to visit Zen... 

Goto still not packed:  gallery_279828_11275_13475.jpg

Mizars not yet at Zen: gallery_279828_11275_4393.jpg

Click, scroll, scroll, scroll...huh? my my my how did I manage to miss that for so long?! uh-oh hustle with a funds bump & buyout with something like 26 minutes on the clock 

gallery_279828_11275_3593.jpg

Now, I did say somewhere the Goto 75/1300 would end my interest in xx/1200s, but Urania woke me from my ragged sleep for a reason - and apparently it was this Vix Polaris-3 80/1200, which I haven't seen in at least two years. Just the OTA, no Polaris with it. Trust Urania to find the one 1200 I'd almost / mostly given up on. Nabbed it and went right back to sleep. comforting.

Edited by AstroKerr, 23 April 2021 - 11:59 AM.

• photiost, steve t, Terra Nova and 7 others like this

#591 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 23 April 2021 - 11:39 AM

I'm pretty sure this mirror is a real Dobson.

Why, you might ask?

1. His name is on the back of the mirror. I don't think he signed a whole lot of mirrors that weren't his apart from a few big mirrors near the end of his life.
  2. The Corning blank is down to about 5/8" thick, obviously not original, so it must've been thinned down by being used as a grinding tool.
  3. The chips on the edge obviously predate it being made into a mirror.
  4. The scope this came out of was from the late 1970s, painted in what was clearly once an obviously garish color and had a simple helical focuser, WWII tank sight finder, and a very janky spider and mirror cell. It was subsequently retrofitted by the previous owner with an Edmund focuser and mount.

attachicon.gifIMG_9828.JPEG

I could be wrong, but at the very least I think it was made by someone out in S.F. Unfortunately, the previous owner before the guy I got it from (who never used it and got it as a donation) passed away 20 years ago.

wonder what size it is

• AstroKerr likes this

#592 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 April 2021 - 12:38 PM

You just have to have faith in yourself, read up a bit, and do it. Grab a few low cost drossies from SGW to practice on - and as trainers, scruffy-drossies are wonderful. chips, slipped spacers, stuck retainers, rust, corrosion, sloppy focusers - all good training. No way to go but UP! YES, practice taking the basket case apart! You're no slouch - you will r-o-c-k. I have faith in you, truly. Look around - this Classics crew you've been part of for so long is world class - multiple skill sets for days and a willingness, a need, to share, to solve - you know this. These are the folks I would want on Mars to get the first colony up and running - they work hard, you can't stump them, they don't fail - so you/i/us/we/them don't fail. That's your pep talk, meant every word - it's what I see - so, "Think, Go, Do!"

Edited by AstroKerr, 23 April 2021 - 12:41 PM.

• godelescher, Augustus, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#593 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 23 April 2021 - 01:31 PM

Funny that ol' Bomber Bob "liked" my post cuz he's about the only one to have posted anything about this particular critter (sorta)... other than that, perhaps CharlieB or Chuck may have a clue as to what this thing is... I hate to leave Terra out (she's wonderful, ain't she?) but I feel it's really not her thing - I certainly hope she proves me wrong!blush.gif

Okay... I lost track in all the back & forth... which scope did you get??

#594 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 23 April 2021 - 08:49 PM

Was it the Lafayette / Asahi 60x800??

#595 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 April 2021 - 11:44 PM

I'm gonna cross off 'proper' scopes, eps, barlows, flatteners, extenders, reducers, correctors, mounts, drives - anything optical or mechanical and normal. No source, dims, weight, outline, or murky description to go by.

Guessing "What Matt stuffed down his silk running shorts at the thrift store" is Bilbo/Gollum bullplop flowerred.gif  I have a queue to work... and the Goto cell is inbound.waytogo.gif

Edited by AstroKerr, 24 April 2021 - 12:00 AM.

• Matty S likes this

#596 Matty S

Matty S

Messenger

Posted 24 April 2021 - 06:04 AM

I'm gonna cross off 'proper' scopes, eps, barlows, flatteners, extenders, reducers, correctors, mounts, drives - anything optical or mechanical and normal. No source, dims, weight, outline, or murky description to go by.

Guessing "What Matt stuffed down his silk running shorts at the thrift store" is Bilbo/Gollum bullplop flowerred.gif  I have a queue to work... and the Goto cell is inbound.waytogo.gif

Sorry folks, been on the road lumping another 16 tons in 16 hours with no time to check the mailbox.

I'll leave the reveal for when, or if, it shows up next week (coulda been a scam) and I'll save myself a little embarrassment.

After I scoured the Information Superhighway for "Bilbo/Gollum bullplop" I came up with 2 hits of similar (but not exact, scopes, both on CN, and one was from Bob.

I thought perhaps Charlie or Chuck (because I've seen posts from them about similar scopes), and perhaps some others on here would have seen it as it seems a bit rare.

It is not a super-duper Goto, Asahi or anything even really astro-oriented (save in name only), BUT it is the only one I've seen (on the web) and it fits my collecting criteria. Sorry for causing a mystery - now I feel a bit pensive about showing it... doah.gif

Edited by Matty S, 24 April 2021 - 06:06 AM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#597 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 April 2021 - 10:34 AM

Sorry folks, been on the road lumping another 16 tons in 16 hours with no time to check the mailbox.

I'll leave the reveal for when, or if, it shows up next week (coulda been a scam) and I'll save myself a little embarrassment.

After I scoured the Information Superhighway for "Bilbo/Gollum bullplop" I came up with 2 hits of similar (but not exact, scopes, both on CN, and one was from Bob.

I thought perhaps Charlie or Chuck (because I've seen posts from them about similar scopes), and perhaps some others on here would have seen it as it seems a bit rare.

It is not a super-duper Goto, Asahi or anything even really astro-oriented (save in name only), BUT it is the only one I've seen (on the web) and it fits my collecting criteria. Sorry for causing a mystery - now I feel a bit pensive about showing it... doah.gif

Matty,

I love you dearly (in all appropriate ways) and am ashamed if I caused you any pensivistivity regarding this mystery thing-now-scope-but-not-really-astro-oriented dealie. 

There will be no embarassment to save yourself from - you are pushing boundaries, exploring the unknown and as long as you do it safely, properly attired (sturdy hiker boots, wool socks and a walking stick) with an eye on hydration and proper daily caloric intake, you will bring us knowledge we did not have before and there can never be shame in that. You will be our guide-star on that frontier - something you should be proud of! 

I had a weak, snippy, moment after trying for a couple hours to suss this out; fingers bleeding, I tapped out my frustration and hit 'post' - it will haunt me for hours, perhaps a day [shudder]. Glad you are back with us safe, sane, and [insert s-rhymey word conveying care and concern]. Anysomehow, reveal when it suits you and we can then all go 'stroky-beard' over it - it will be a welcome relief from our daily grind smile.gif

I remain f.o.s. for the foreseeable future,

Bas the Petulant

Edited by AstroKerr, 24 April 2021 - 10:40 AM.

• GreyDay, Defenderslideguitar and Matty S like this

#598 Matty S

Matty S

Messenger

Posted 24 April 2021 - 04:04 PM

It was FedEx'ed for delivery on the 30th.

Kinda excited over this as I would've never even looked at it had it not been for all you smart gals and guys here in the classics forums. I know it's not a great find, or even memorable to most, but I think it will add to my collection nicely and that makes it all ok for me.

Any ways, as the song goes... "Eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin'... it's got a long way to go and a short time to get here, it's eastbound watch old Bandit run."grin.gif

Hey, I'm just a dumb trucker, whadja expect?

Oh, I almost forgot, here's a hint for all you smartypants (fill in the blanks):

The manufacturer is:

*i***e* *a****t***e*

Have Fun!

#599 GreyDay

GreyDay

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 24 April 2021 - 04:32 PM

The manufacturer is:

*i***e* *a****t***e*

Have Fun!

Tinsley laboratories

• Bomber Bob likes this

#600 Matty S

Matty S

Messenger

Posted 24 April 2021 - 04:49 PM

Tinsley laboratories

Yep. Good job.

Darn, thought I was being clever. Serves me right for thinking it was obscure.

Now I just hope it's worth showing to ya'll.uhhh5.gif

Edited by Matty S, 24 April 2021 - 05:10 PM.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and GreyDay like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics