•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
764 replies to this topic

#601 GreyDay

GreyDay

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 24 April 2021 - 05:25 PM

Now I just hope it's worth showing to ya'll.uhhh5.gif

It's something classic, of course it's worth seeing. That's the reason why we're all here :)

• Defenderslideguitar, Russell Smith, AstroKerr and 1 other like this

#602 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Moderators
  • Loc: Flossmoor Il.

Posted 24 April 2021 - 09:26 PM

I picked this up after a heads up from a fellow CN'r.... I have a weakness for vintage ATM stuff, this one is just awesome!

Attached Thumbnails

• PXL_20210424_141311217.jpg
  • PXL_20210424_011455551.jpg
  • PXL_20210424_141258914~2.jpg

• Darren Drake, Deep13, jim kuhns and 12 others like this

#603 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Page, AZ 36°54'45"N 111°27'39"W 1327.7AMSL

Posted 25 April 2021 - 03:28 AM

2/3s of the current Classics 'queue' I moan about. Not shown: Tasco 13T, Orbitor 6500, Bushnell Expo, Jason 404...

gallery_279828_11275_162578.jpg

Atco zoomer, Sears 24146, Intras 114, 11T, Mizar, C-60, Mayflower 60/700, 11TR. Had to rush - high winds started up - so I didn't bother with trays or accessories. 11TR came in missing axis clutch bolts (I'd forgotten til I got pinched grabbing it), the sec holder had fallen off, sep'ing and ruining the sec (replaced). 11T came in 1 collimation puller screw short - that odd ~5mm weird pitch pita, Mayflower's okay, Atco has tape residue on the OT, 24146 has a semicirc delam ~7mm radius and the retainer is s-t-u-c-k but I'll get it. Some missing tray screws & wings. Not the easiest queue batch, not the worst. Contemps add 3 small refracs, 4 76mm and 3 114mm reflectors. I keep busy - so I don't take pix often or do detailed reports - got to keep on rollin', keep on rollin', keep on rollin' with the changes... 

• Paul Hyndman, photiost, jim kuhns and 12 others like this

#604 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 25 April 2021 - 06:31 AM

Nice color composition :-)

• AstroKerr likes this

#605 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 25 April 2021 - 07:11 AM

I picked this up after a heads up from a fellow CN'r.... I have a weakness for vintage ATM stuff, this one is just awesome!

Me, too!  I call them my Oddballs - and some do look odd.  I've kept just 2:  a 5" F5 non-ED triplet (aka, Triple Nickle), and a mostly Edmund 6" F4 Newt (aka, Stubby).

ATM 5 RFT S31 (Edmund Filo Tripod).jpg ATM 150 F4 Newt Restore S03 (30 RAF on AR-1 LS).jpg

Sean, I had to give you a Shout-Out:  I used your technique for calculating the tube length on a 50mm F12 Jaegers refractor that I'm building:

Jaegers 50 Restore S62 - OTA vs Monolux 4348 (Pre Paint).jpg

Infinity Focus came out Spot-On!  And, I still have enough in-focus for Barlow, bino-viewer, etc. -- without having to rack-out to a less stable position.

Just waiting on the 3D-printed baffles, some fancier screws, and the OD Green paint, and she'll be done.  My Build Thread is here:  https://www.cloudyni...tors-duo-scope/

Once she's done, she'll compete well against my 1984 Tak FC-50 F8 fluorite doublet APO.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 25 April 2021 - 09:08 AM.

• photiost, jim kuhns, steve t and 6 others like this

#606 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Skylab

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 25 April 2021 - 08:51 AM

That wooden ota looks odd as the focuser seems to big compared to the mount...

#607 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 25 April 2021 - 09:12 AM

Yep. Good job.

Darn, thought I was being clever. Serves me right for thinking it was obscure.

Now I just hope it's worth showing to ya'll.uhhh5.gif

No Pressure!   You got me scratching my noggin this morning...  What TL did I yak about?  IMO, any Tinsley is worth a post -- if not a thread.

• GreyDay and Matty S like this

#608 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 25 April 2021 - 09:13 AM

As JW says, it’s an oddball !

#609 jkmccarthy

jkmccarthy

Explorer 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Posted 25 April 2021 - 09:52 PM

As JW says, it’s an oddball !

Comparing the length of the front tripod leg to the two in the back, the photo certainly seems to be a close-up taken with a wide angle camera lens setting ....

http://www.danvojtec...pe-of-the-face/

(the link is really a misnomer, as it's *NOT* the focal length of the lens that causes the perspective distortion, but instead just having the camera up-close to the subject being photographed, such that the relative distance from the camera to the eyepiece holder, or front tripod leg [or a human subject's nose], is significantly less than the distance from the camera to the equatorial mount, or rear tripod legs [or a human subject's ears], which increases the apparent size of those objects nearby ....).

-- Jim

Edited by jkmccarthy, 25 April 2021 - 11:23 PM.

#610 norvegicus

norvegicus

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southern Shore of Gitche Gumee

Posted 26 April 2021 - 02:51 PM

My Edmund 3" f/6 Newtonian showed up. What a cool little scope. Excellent condition, mirror is pristine, came with an Edmund 8mm RKE eyepiece for 57X. 

It's dark and rainy but looking through my wet living room window I can read the label on the neighbhor's camper's water connection across the street.

It's very lightweight. I can carry it outside for quick viewing in one hand. This will be my grab and go scope for sure.

I especially like that it's a manual equatorial mount, fixed near my latitude (46°).  Once I get it on a target I can lock the declination screw and just turn it on the RA axis to stay on target.

Even the manual is cool. According to the manual the mirror is parabolic.

The peep sight finder is way off and apparently nonadjustable.  The nylon bushing on the main mount axle is cracked but seems functional.  I'll shop for a replacement.

A quick look shows the collimation to be fine.

Super happy with this purchase.  Was hoping to try it out on the Pink Moon tonight but I'm sure it will be cloudy.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1114.jpg
  • 32F807FA-76F7-4FD8-9E59-35DB11E5E824_1_105_c.jpg

Edited by norvegicus, 26 April 2021 - 02:52 PM.

• Steve_M_M, davidmcgo, jim kuhns and 15 others like this

#611 jkmccarthy

jkmccarthy

Explorer 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Posted 26 April 2021 - 05:18 PM

[...] The peep sight finder is way off and apparently nonadjustable.

Just for grins, I did a back-of-the-envelope estimate of how much "parallax" might arise just because your target (out the window to across the street) is not infinitely far away, and assuming the peep-sight is separated by 3-inches from the center of the telescope's line of sight (where 3" = 1.5" from center of primary to edge of primary + 0.5" from edge of primary to outside of tube + 1" from outside of tube to peep-sight line-of-sight) and your target might be as close as 45ft away (15ft for your front yard + 15ft for width of street + 15ft for neighbor's front yard across the street), this works out to an angle of 20-arcminutes.   Presumably by "way off" you mean something larger than this ... by design, the peep-sight line-of-sight seems like it ought to be parallel to the telescope tube (at least in the direction radially outward from the center of the tube ... as for any misalignment tangential to the outside of the tube, I can't say ...), so my question then is how accurately the Newtonian line-of-sight follows the central axis of the tube ?   Your report of good collimation is encouraging ... but it might be worth confirming that the secondary mirror is well-centered across the tube diameter (both the diameter that includes the eyepiece, and a diameter at right angles to that one).   If the diagonal mirror is off-center and the primary mirror collimation is adjusted to compensate for that and be "good", this might leave the Newtonian optical axis line-of-sight skewed off the central axis of the tube (and hence skewed relative to the peep-sight).

In any event, have fun with your new grab-n-go scope!

-- Jim

#612 norvegicus

norvegicus

Vostok 1

Posted 26 April 2021 - 06:00 PM

Just for grins, I did a back-of-the-envelope estimate of how much "parallax" might arise just because your target (out the window to across the street) is not infinitely far away, and assuming the peep-sight is separated by 3-inches from the center of the telescope's line of sight (where 3" = 1.5" from center of primary to edge of primary + 0.5" from edge of primary to outside of tube + 1" from outside of tube to peep-sight line-of-sight) and your target might be as close as 45ft away (15ft for your front yard + 15ft for width of street + 15ft for neighbor's front yard across the street), this works out to an angle of 20-arcminutes.   Presumably by "way off" you mean something larger than this ... by design, the peep-sight line-of-sight seems like it ought to be parallel to the telescope tube (at least in the direction radially outward from the center of the tube ... as for any misalignment tangential to the outside of the tube, I can't say ...), so my question then is how accurately the Newtonian line-of-sight follows the central axis of the tube ?   Your report of good collimation is encouraging ... but it might be worth confirming that the secondary mirror is well-centered across the tube diameter (both the diameter that includes the eyepiece, and a diameter at right angles to that one).   If the diagonal mirror is off-center and the primary mirror collimation is adjusted to compensate for that and be "good", this might leave the Newtonian optical axis line-of-sight skewed off the central axis of the tube (and hence skewed relative to the peep-sight).

In any event, have fun with your new grab-n-go scope!

-- Jim

That all makes sense.  This target is about 200 feet away.  The finder is off by about 6 feet at the target, in the opposite direction from what would be expected from parallax.  lol.gif

I was thinking the same regarding the secondary, but it looks centered naked eye and the manual says the thread depth on its stalk automatically centers the mirror in the tube.  

I have a Cheshire collimator on the way and will report when it arrives. (this is my first Newtonian).  My first judgement was just from looking into the focuser and seeing my eye in the center and the secondary in the center of the primary.

Definitely having fun.  This thing is way cool.

Edited by norvegicus, 26 April 2021 - 06:01 PM.

• Terra Nova and jkmccarthy like this

#613 Argonautt

Argonautt

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:16 AM

The Newton and Co circa 1880~ achromat has arrived, but the tube has sustained a very obvious dent that prevents the cell from being screwed into the tube.

This is not how it was advertised. It was advertised with the lens screwed into the tube, as you can see here and here.

Should I be asking for some money back? It's arrived in a condition it wasn't advertised in. I can show as many pictures as neccessary to prove the dent is the problem..

image.png

image.png

image.png

• steve t likes this

#614 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:53 AM

It all depends on what the seller wrote about it. If he stipulated that he does not know the condition of the instrument and you decided to risk buying the equipment in such condition, in my opinion you have no grounds to demand a refund.

I had a similar situation a few weeks ago. I bought a Towa 60/900 refractor in Germany. The cell turned out to be so hard hit and deformed that I had great difficulty removing it. I straightened the dew shield and tube, but while straightening the cell, the cast cracked and a large hole was formed. However, people selling it honestly warned that they do not know the equipment and do not guarantee whether it is suitable for anything - I'm sure I have no reason to blame them. Instead, I started repairing the cell...

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210406_222023(0).jpg
  • 20210407_173558.jpg

• GreyDay likes this

#615 Argonautt

Argonautt

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2021 - 10:05 AM

I'd delete the post now, because me and the seller worked out a partial refund, and he was understanding etc etc. But

It all depends on what the seller wrote about it. If he stipulated that he does not know the condition of the instrument and you decided to risk buying the equipment in such condition, in my opinion you have no grounds to demand a refund.

If it's advertised with the objective screwed into the tube, and it arrives in a condition where it can no longer screw into the tube, then something has gone wrong. It's abit too obvious to miss.

#616 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 28 April 2021 - 10:13 AM

I'd delete the post now, because me and the seller worked out a partial refund, and he was understanding etc etc. But

If it's advertised with the objective screwed into the tube, and it arrives in a condition where it can no longer screw into the tube, then something has gone wrong. It's abit too obvious to miss.

I agree.  I would say something.

#617 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:30 PM

I do not agree. My Towa was also photographed with the cell attached to the tube in such a way that no damage was visible. But since the seller has warned that the equipment is unchecked and that he does not guarantee what defects it may have - I decide to buy it only at my own risk. The seller is not obliged to dismantle the equipment into its first parts and test the condition of each of them.

#618 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Mariner 2

Posted 28 April 2021 - 02:13 PM

From the damage I can see, I have a hard time believing that dent was their before it was shipped (unless they dropped it while packaging).  I would bet that it occurred during transit and that the carrier may be liable for the damage.

This said it's not my scope and I'm just looking at pictures.  It's his call.

#619 photiost

photiost

Gemini

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:06 PM

Looks like it may have been damaged during transport - lucky no damage to the actual lens.

Anyone have any suggestions how to repair ? 

IIRC I have seen posts here on CN on similar repairs. 

Maybe a new tread can be started for this.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#620 Matty S

Matty S

Messenger

• Loc: Hillsboro, Nh

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:00 PM

Anyone seen a circle, triangle "C" stamp?

sym5.jpg

#621 Argonautt

Argonautt

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:23 PM

Looks like it may have been damaged during transport - lucky no damage to the actual lens.

Anyone have any suggestions how to repair ? 

IIRC I have seen posts here on CN on similar repairs. 

Maybe a new tread can be started for this.

Now that liability is out of the way, I can say that tapping out dents like this is relatively trivial and can be done with abit of wood shaped to a slightly smaller radius and a small hammer. Tap, check etc until you can thread it in.

If you go slowly then I can't really see the need for a proper tool. We've done this before on much finer pitched threads- this is like 1.1mm (assuming metric).

Edited by Argonautt, 28 April 2021 - 05:25 PM.

#622 norvegicus

norvegicus

Vostok 1

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:59 PM

My Cheshire collimator arrived so I dropped it into the Edmund 3" f/6 reflector I got on eBay.

While waiting for it to arrive I did note that the secondary mirror was not centered in the tube, as jkmccarthy suggested might be the case.  The manual states that the thread depth on its stalk automatically centers it, and it was unthreaded a good 1/4", so I threaded it all the way in and now it looks centered.

Using the Cheshire is a bit confusing because the crosshair reticle is not ever centered in the view.  I think this means my focuser is not orthogonal to the OTA tube; in fact if I press on the (plastic) focuser housing I can move the crosshair closer to center.

Ignoring the crosshair, I rotated the secondary and also pressed on the stalk a bit to center the primary in the view and then fiddled with the primary collimation screws, which were VERY loose, to move the secondary image into the center as well as I could.

In the end the view is slightly better and the peep hole finder sight is now only off by about 18" on the same 200' foot distant target, where it was off by 6' previously.

I'm thinking about maybe removing the focuser assembly and then reinstalling it with some shims to make it orthogonal.     I want to actually try using the scope on astronomical targets first; waiting for a clear night.

• steve t, mpsteidle and jkmccarthy like this

#623 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Mariner 2

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:18 PM

I almost bid on that, seems like such a convenient little scope.  Let us know how the views are!

#624 photiost

photiost

Gemini

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:31 AM

Now that liability is out of the way, I can say that tapping out dents like this is relatively trivial and can be done with abit of wood shaped to a slightly smaller radius and a small hammer. Tap, check etc until you can thread it in.

If you go slowly then I can't really see the need for a proper tool. We've done this before on much finer pitched threads- this is like 1.1mm (assuming metric).

Indeed. Certainly worth a try ! 

• GreyDay likes this

#625 Matty S

Matty S

Messenger

• Loc: Hillsboro, Nh

Posted 01 May 2021 - 04:58 PM

Ok folks, the Tinsley(?) arrived today so I unpacked it and took some quick pics.
The seller said it was found in an auctioned-off storage unit and has no further info.

The badge says it's a "Commander"
I don't really know if this actually is a little Tinsley spotter, a fake, Franken-Tinsley or a restored unit, but see what ya'll think.
It came with two screw on covers, one on each end, both made of  black, crinkle-painted metal as with the dewshield, focuser/eyepiece and mounting block. This finish looks the same as the other versions of Tinsley and Saturn spotters I've seen online.

The objective measures 50mm and is covered in a fine layer of dust (On the inside. I saw this in the original auction photos so it wasn't a surprise). No scratches that I can discern and the gold foil seems intact. If there are coatings, they are very faint and will require deeper investigation.
The dewshield slides out smoothly a few inches and has a large spot of what looks to be rust on one side - as if it was sitting on something for a while.
I set it up on a Tiltall (1/4"-20 mounting) for a peek at the bog across the street. With a twist of the ep it popped into a nice, bright, sharp view all across the field. This was exciting as I was expecting a soft, washed out image due to it's age and the dust but it was pretty close to the sharpness of my Swift 841 spotter (which is my standard for sharp daytime images) so I am happy.
I suspect the tube has been repainted - there are several small bumps, perhaps scratches, burrs or even dust that seem to have been painted over at some point. Another suspicious thing is the immaculate badge with no patina to be found - polished?
I thought I saw a post by BB about a small (Tinsley or Saturn?) that he rebuilt into a cool finder for another classic scope because the lens was trashed but now I can't find it so unsure.
I can't find any info about a 50mm, white tube, Tinsley Commander, nor a "Saturn" branded version either.
I haven't attempted any cleaning or disassembly as I'd rather wait to see what ya'll got to say.

Attached Thumbnails

• TL1.jpg
  • TL2.jpg
  • TL3.jpg
  • TL4.jpg
  • TL5.jpg

• davidmcgo, jim kuhns, astro140 and 4 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics