•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
644 replies to this topic

#626 GreyDay

GreyDay

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 01 May 2021 - 06:39 PM

The badge says it's a "Commander"
I don't really know if this actually is a little Tinsley spotter, a fake, Franken-Tinsley or a restored unit, but see what ya'll think.

I can't find any info about a 50mm, white tube, Tinsley Commander, nor a "Saturn" branded version either.

The CN archives nearly always provide, https://www.cloudyni...sley-commander/

no extra info but at least you know it's legit smile.gif

Edit: another on AM https://astromart.co...ander-telescope

vintage Ads 0038

Edited by GreyDay, 01 May 2021 - 06:48 PM.

• steve t, Defenderslideguitar and Matty S like this

#627 Matty S

Matty S

Ranger 4

• Loc: Hillsboro, Nh

Posted 01 May 2021 - 07:08 PM

The CN archives nearly always provide, https://www.cloudyni...sley-commander/

no extra info but at least you know it's legit smile.gif

Edit: another on AM https://astromart.co...ander-telescope

Thanks! I did see those too, when I did my initial research before my purchase.

Those look like a different (earlier?) version of the Commander I have here. I wonder if all the Commanders were based off the same objective and this is just a later version with a different prism assembly?

#628 GreyDay

GreyDay

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 May 2021 - 07:15 PM

Did you follow the "Chilford Arms Mfg" origins? they're linked to the whole Tinsley/Saturn story.

Check this:: https://www.etsy.com...tting-telescope

#629 GreyDay

GreyDay

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 May 2021 - 07:18 PM

Here's the missing link

saturn1

From what i can make out through a quick internet search, the original 15x45mm Tinsley Commander and the Saturn spotter are the same telescope as a 45mm with a draw tube. The two vendors? being Tinsley and Chilford Arms Mfg, are they the same entity?

The later spotter you have with the prism seems to have a 50mm objective and a prism/ep holder, still under the Saturn brand. What i don't understand is the "made in Japan for Chilford...." on the early saturn?

Edited by GreyDay, 01 May 2021 - 07:36 PM.

• steve t and mdowns like this

#630 Matty S

Matty S

Ranger 4

Posted 01 May 2021 - 07:46 PM

Did you follow the "Chilford Arms Mfg" origins? they're linked to the whole Tinsley/Saturn story.

Check this:: https://www.etsy.com...tting-telescope

Hmm, I did know about the Saturn line and that's certainly close to the prism on mine. I understand Tinsley moved some it's manufacturing to SF for it's consumer line and dubbed it "Saturn".

So perhaps this is a baby of the changeover? The old objective married to a shorter tube, new prism assembly? I guess they didn't have a successful run on these little scopes since there seem to be only a few poor survivors. Shame too, the optics are pretty good.

• GreyDay likes this

#631 Matty S

Matty S

Ranger 4

Posted 01 May 2021 - 08:04 PM

Here's the missing link

The later spotter you have with the prism seems to have a 50mm objective and a prism/ep holder, still under the Saturn brand. What i don't understand is the "made in Japan for Chilford...." on the early saturn?

Ah, but mine is not a "Saturn" it is made by Tinsley Laboratories, Berkley, Ca. and badged as a "Commander".

The plot thickens...

"Come, Watson, come! The game is afoot. Not a word! Into your clothes and come!"

- Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle

• GreyDay likes this

#632 GreyDay

GreyDay

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 May 2021 - 08:12 PM

Ah, but mine is not a "Saturn" it is made by Tinsley Laboratories, Berkley, Ca. and badged as a "Commander".

The plot thickens...

"Come, Watson, come! The game is afoot. Not a word! Into your clothes and come!"

I love a good mystery waytogo.gif

• Matty S likes this

#633 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 02 May 2021 - 07:55 PM

I found ANOTHER RV6 for free on Nextdoor. Had some spiders living in it, finder screws are broken and a little bit of wear to the mirror coatings but nothing I can't fix. Tube might need a repaint though, it looks like a paper towel holder at the moment. 

IMG_0047.JPEG

• steve t, mdowns, Marc-Andre and 7 others like this

#634 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 08:51 PM

I've had good luck brightening one up using "Scrubbing Bubbles with Bleach." I also thought it might need a repaint, but it turned out well.

Chip W. 

• steve t, Augustus, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#635 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 02 May 2021 - 11:47 PM

I've had good luck brightening one up using "Scrubbing Bubbles with Bleach." I also thought it might need a repaint, but it turned out well.

Chip W. 

Bleaching it really worked! It's not perfect, but seeing as the tube is out of round I didn't feel repainting was really worth it. I am going to give this thing away when I am done working on it.

• steve t, mdowns and AstroKerr like this

#636 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:06 AM

Bleaching it really worked! It's not perfect, but seeing as the tube is out of round I didn't feel repainting was really worth it. I am going to give this thing away when I am done working on it.

Gib Pics つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

• AstroKerr likes this

#637 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:48 PM

Everyone should have an RV6 at least one point in their observing career

• steve t, mdowns and Bagwell like this

#638 1939Dodge

1939Dodge

Vostok 1

• Loc: Pa.

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:44 PM

I have 4, and an Edmund 6” in the garage....rescues.

Once I get the rescues cleaned up and working correctly, I give them away to kids.

Edited by 1939Dodge, 03 May 2021 - 08:48 PM.

• steve t and mdowns like this

#639 Matty S

Matty S

Ranger 4

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:30 PM

The plot thickens...

Update:

Had a little time to investigate the Tinsley spotter today. I removed the focuser and checked out the lens assembly. The aluminum lens shade is cemented inside the main tube and the lens cell is mounted into that.

It looks like the cell unscrews but I can't see how as there are no notches for a spanner on either side of the lens that I can see and the lens is recessed into the shade/cell. I didn't try to disassemble any further. I saw no other markings anywhere on or in the scope.

The tube has definitely been repainted at some point (not great) as there was white over-spray inside the tube with a lot of dust particles and fuzz. Now I was hoping that the the "dust" on the inside of the lens wasn't paint particles.

Since I couldn't remove the lens I attached a soft lens brush to a wooden spoon handle with a rubber band and gently brushed the inside of the lens while holding the tube up. I checked the lens under the light and was pleased to see most of the dust came off - no scratches either! Then I used some Zeiss wipes to clean the front of the lens and the ep/prism.

After a good look under the light and a nice cleanup I could see some purplish hues so I guess it was coated and they are still intact.

I also had some suspicions about the diameter of the lens as I was tinkering with a 50mm finder on the workbench and compared the two side by side. The spotter was definitely larger so I grabbed the digital calipers and measured the lens as best I could inside the cell and came up with 55mm. Odd.

• Terra Nova, GreyDay and AstroKerr like this

#640 norvegicus

norvegicus

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southern Shore of Gitche Gumee

Posted 07 May 2021 - 12:06 PM

I just snagged a ~1966 Tasco 9TE-5 that looks pretty minty for $14 on SGW.   I'll probably give it to my daughter who recently bought a house in the country as one of several house warming presents.  She says it's "really dark" there compared to her condo in town, so maybe there is good seeing there...  

https://www.shopgood.../Item/120943147

Edited by norvegicus, 07 May 2021 - 12:08 PM.

• Bomber Bob and LukaszLu like this

#641 Chuckfishes

Chuckfishes

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Metrowest Boston

Posted Yesterday, 03:09 PM

My latest find, a Tasco 7te. Original owner and stored for a couple decades. It should clean up nice.

7te Box
20210508 143423
7Te eyepiece tray
7te Tube and focuser
7te mount
7te Focuser
Tasco
Tasco
20210508 163834
7te Objective

It's missing a good amount of paint on the finder, but it looks to be a complete kit.

Edited by Chuckfishes, Yesterday, 03:49 PM.

• photiost, steve t, mdowns and 9 others like this

#642 photiost

photiost

Gemini

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted Yesterday, 04:30 PM

That is a great find.

The RAO 7TE is considered the best 60mm that Tasco ever made. 

Enjoy !!

#643 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted Yesterday, 04:51 PM

My latest find, a Tasco 7te. Original owner and stored for a couple decades. It should clean up nice.

It's missing a good amount of paint on the finder, but it looks to be a complete kit.

Congratulations!!  You'll enjoy it!  What's the Serial Number?  I'll get it Registered.

#644 Chuckfishes

Chuckfishes

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Metrowest Boston

Posted Yesterday, 05:03 PM

Thank you very much guys.
Serial number is 061827.

#645 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted Yesterday, 05:07 PM

Thanks!  

Looking forward to your Restore & Observing posts (no pressure!)...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics