•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
1368 replies to this topic

#651 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 10 May 2021 - 07:22 AM

My guess it is an aftermarket add-on. The black color is close to the Celestron brown-ish black of the fork mount, but different.

It is hard to believe that the manufacturer intentionally used such a poorly articulated color distinction - it would be an elementary design mistake that Celestron cannot be suspected of, even in such distant times.

#652 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 10 May 2021 - 09:09 AM

It is hard to believe that the manufacturer intentionally used such a poorly articulated color distinction - it would be an elementary design mistake that Celestron cannot be suspected of, even in such distant times.

To clarify my phrase "My guess it is an aftermarket add-on." I also think the knob is not a Celestron item. Googling I found there are a lot of off the shelf items like this. Whoever put this I would give a "good try." If the arm was a bit shorter and red plastic...

#653 Alanvogt

Alanvogt

Explorer 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:29 PM

I got this Astroscan off ShopGoodwill from Oregon.  It was a steal at $46. Tax and shipping made the total $76.  The telescope arrived extremely well packed in great shape.  I finally tested it last night in my backyard. Collimation appears to be perfect and I spent an hour chasing satellites. I am very pleased. Its a made in Japan version. Don't know if that's supposed to be good or bad. My nephew Alex upon seeing the scope pronounced "It looks like Qbert!" So now it's official name is Qbert. 

Qbert.jpg

Qbert1.jpg

Edited by Alanvogt, 10 May 2021 - 12:37 PM.

• jim kuhns, John Rogers, Pete W and 10 others like this

#654 norvegicus

norvegicus

Messenger

• Loc: en route

Posted 10 May 2021 - 05:21 PM

I almost bid on that one.  I'm glad to see it went to someone here and is being appreciated.  

• mdowns, Alanvogt and LukaszLu like this

#655 MisterDan

MisterDan

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 10 May 2021 - 07:48 PM

Nice idea, but with a problem.... the tube is to the right,

attachicon.gifIMG_7080.JPG

You'd never use the Dec. adjustment knob when the C8 is/was in the collapsed/"down" position, anyway.  In normal use, the tube is free and clear.  I would leave it and use it (but I'm goofy that way).grin.gif

• steve t and Bagwell like this

#656 Stewc14

Stewc14

Vostok 1

• Loc: Pueblo West colorado

Posted 15 May 2021 - 03:16 AM

Bought   the old FC -76 F model  love it  and    sold the Vixen 80fl  loved it.
  bought an RV 6,  an old AP 600 mount   and   an old Unitron 150 mount
  Bought  a  mint C -102 to help out  last summer and sold it back to the seller last month
   Gave away the  Sans and Strieffe  601 if it ever gets to Texas?

Near miss  on an Edmund 4 inch but I am glad the buyer first in line got it just the same
 Always on the lookout for a big  classic  outreach refractor....
  But vintage finds  a few years ago, especially on Craigs, were more plentiful 
   Joined Spacebook to go on market place and missed out there as well

So it goes.............

sorry!,,,it was me,,,,working on list of what it needs
  • Defenderslideguitar likes this

#657 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 01:27 PM

A while back, there was thread with a list of who had the Edmund 4" refractor. I can't find it now, but remember it included TomKiehl, TerraNova, and BomberBob, all of whom have since let theirs go, and maybe 4 or 5 others. I know that Clamchip still has one. Mine was complete except for the mount and tripod. Is there a sense from the registry of how many are known to exist? 

Chip W. 

#658 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 15 May 2021 - 01:52 PM

Chip......here is the archived thread you speak of:

https://www.cloudyni...registry/page-2

I will fess up  and admit to owning a circa 1957 Edmund 4 " complete.  I have owned it for 18 years and it is one of my favorites.

Don

• mdowns, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#659 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 May 2021 - 07:19 PM

Thanks! Being archived, of course we can't update the registry list. Seems there are about 14 accounted for then. Some of the ones listed have moved to new owners (Terra's was sold a second time, on AM, Tom's went with his collection). 

Chip W. 

#660 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 15 May 2021 - 09:33 PM

Chip......here is the archived thread you speak of:

https://www.cloudyni...registry/page-2

I will fess up  and admit to owning a circa 1957 Edmund 4 " complete.  I have owned it for 18 years and it is one of my favorites.

Don

I had completely forgotten that I started a list! :foreheadslap:

They are very wonderful scopes. And very loooong! :lol:

• jim kuhns, PawPaw and Russell Smith like this

#661 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 May 2021 - 10:07 PM

I guess we could ad to that thread about, "You know you're a classic telescope collector.."

When your telescope is longer than your....

Wait.. what was I saying?

Chip W. 

#662 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 16 May 2021 - 07:40 AM

"When your telescope is longer than your...."             . . .ARM!!

When your telescope is longer than your arm!  I  know that is what you meant.  smile.gif

#663 Nick Will

Nick Will

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wildwood Florida

Posted 16 May 2021 - 08:11 AM

I picked up this Vixen Custom 90M on Facebook Marketplace for $50 It looks like it’s been sitting in a shed for a few years. Going to need a lot of cleaning. I’m hoping that’s not a clamshell but a moisture stain between the elements. 
I’ve been watching it for a month or 2 expecting one of the local CN members to rescue it. (It was an hour and and a half away from me)

The last thing I need is another project but I’ll squeeze it in.
Should put up some nice views.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5C9E5D8B-DA13-4C29-BA2A-F252EFEEA8EA.jpeg
  • 32389F1C-053E-4D22-8DA0-B527AC31F589.jpeg

• jim kuhns, steve t, mdowns and 4 others like this

#664 Nick Will

Nick Will

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wildwood Florida

Posted 16 May 2021 - 08:12 AM

Here’s another photo

Attached Thumbnails

• DE8D8267-BC3D-486A-A304-02A1399B84BF.jpeg

• jim kuhns, steve t, mdowns and 6 others like this

#665 marcyc

marcyc

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern VA, USA

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:48 AM

Congratulations! For your sake, I certainly hope it is not a clamshell. I have had my vixen custom 90 for over 30 years (it was my first scope, and will be my last when I'm too old to haul out anything bigger). I took it to one of my club events just yesterday, and it never fails to garner compliments on how very sharp the views are.

Please make sure to keep us posted when you actually get it.

Edited by marcyc, 16 May 2021 - 10:48 AM.

• dave253 and Nick Will like this

#666 norvegicus

norvegicus

Messenger

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:14 AM

I just snagged a ~1966 Tasco 9TE-5 that looks pretty minty for $14 on SGW.   I'll probably give it to my daughter who recently bought a house in the country as one of several house warming presents.  She says it's "really dark" there compared to her condo in town, so maybe there is good seeing there...  

https://www.shopgood.../Item/120943147

It arrived today.  Pretty much mint in the box.  The only use marks I can find are the screws on the tripod triangle. I think maybe it was set up once and allowed to get a little dusty, possibly in the store, and then carefully repackaged.  Even the tripod legs are each in a plastic sleeve.  It still has a clear plastic internal cover used to make the box into a store display.  

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

• jim kuhns, steve t, mdowns and 8 others like this

#667 norvegicus

norvegicus

Messenger

Posted 16 May 2021 - 12:06 PM

On closer inspection there is a name written inside the manual, the box has "BASEMENT" written on the outside, and there is an extra SR4mm eyepiece that was not original equipment but may have been purchased at the same time, as it is marked on the back side of the manual, where there is a list of optional accessories.  So probably set up once at home, allowed to get dusty, and carefully put away.  Nearly 60 years ago.

The finder scope has no marks on it, other than some paint oxidation.  No set screw marks.  I bet it was never aligned.  All the caps and covers are still there:  Barlow, diagonal, visual back, dew shield, etc., as well as containers for all the eyepieces.

The other eyepieces are H 12.5mm and H 6mm.  There's a hobby killer set up.  I'll bring my daughter a Kellner 21mm for a more pleasant viewing experience.  We are visiting her for the first time in her new house next weekend.  She's a middle school teacher and very much into vintage stuff, so she will appreciate this scope for what it is.

Edited by norvegicus, 16 May 2021 - 12:08 PM.

• GreyDay, Defenderslideguitar, Alanvogt and 1 other like this

#668 MisterDan

MisterDan

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 16 May 2021 - 12:09 PM

Wow.  That's one of the best time capsules I've ever seen!  I bet you're still grinning. smile.gif waytogo.gif

Best wishes and congratulations.

Dan

• norvegicus likes this

#669 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 May 2021 - 01:45 PM

When your telescope is longer than your arm!  I  know that is what you meant.  smile.gif

Now I remember - when your telescope is longer than your memory. 

Of course, there is then the strategy of selling your long scopes so they match the shortness of your memory. When that happens, you know you really are a classic collector. 

The Edmund 4 may be pushing it for me. But it's only 30mm longer than the 6"f9, which is worrisome. lol.gif

Chip W. 

• Bomber Bob and Garyth64 like this

#670 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 16 May 2021 - 01:53 PM

I had a Tasco 9TE-5 a short time ago.  It too was in excellent condition.

9TE 5 a.jpg

9TE 5 b.jpg

9TE 5 c.jpg

9TE 5 d.jpg , 9TE 5 e.jpg

9TE 5 f.jpg

I gave it away.

• jim kuhns, steve t, mdowns and 6 others like this

#671 GreyDay

GreyDay

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 16 May 2021 - 02:27 PM

I gave it away.

Me too, two 9TE's so far and two 66TE's (50mm) and several other 60's that i picked up along the way. The 60x700's make a good starter scope and they're cheap.. well they were before covid. :(

• Alanvogt, AstroKerr, LukaszLu and 1 other like this

#672 norvegicus

norvegicus

Messenger

Posted 16 May 2021 - 03:53 PM

I gave it away.

Yep, same as me, although you got more paperwork.  I was particularly impressed when I saw on mine that the styrofoam has the model number molded into it.  That's a classic touch.

#673 jim kuhns

jim kuhns

Viking 1

• Loc: southeast GA.

Posted 17 May 2021 - 10:52 AM

Or your head is bigger than your telescope! lol.gif bow.gif

#674 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 17 May 2021 - 10:59 AM

Or your telescope is worth more than your car.

Robert

• jim kuhns, Bomber Bob and Alanvogt like this

#675 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 19 May 2021 - 05:34 AM

Vintage orange tube C8 dec. knob with lever.

A few years I bought a vintage orange tube C8. Due to things beyond anyone's control (including a pandemic) it has been languishing in Texas until it was finally shipped to me in California a month ago. It is just another orange tube C8, nothing special, except for the Dec knob. It has a lever sticking past the edge of the knob. I know there is a better name for this, but I couldn't find it.

My guess it is an aftermarket add-on. The black color is close to the Celestron brown-ish black of the fork mount, but different.

It really works speeding up motion in the dec axis--except if the lever is pointed in the wrong direction and you move the tube through the forks they may collide.

Update: I found some time to take the scope out and tinker with it. The knob assembly has very little resistance to moving along the screw. When I placed the knob in the way of the tube and moved the tube to hit the knob, it simply shoved the knob out of the way.

Problem disappeared. Onto another problem!

• jim kuhns, Bomber Bob, MisterDan and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics