•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
1209 replies to this topic

#1176 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 14 September 2021 - 01:51 PM

Good show  Chip

That is one of the good ones ( If it is the one that was an hour or so  north of me  )

Nice find

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 15 September 2021 - 07:09 AM.

#1177 RichA

RichA

Skylab

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 14 September 2021 - 03:57 PM

Spotting scopes, usually loaded with additional optics that spoil the image, such as Barlow lenses, zoom or image erecting lenses, have one undeniable advantage. It is nice to observe the Moon through them and then return to the simple f/15 achromat to see how perfect the picture is :-)

You have to go up in quality with spotters.  I had a B&L Elite 77mm ED that was actually a decent richfield ED.  I even took the front off and stuck a focuser on it.

• Matty S likes this

#1178 Matty S

Matty S

Messenger

• Loc: The Bog, Nh

Posted 14 September 2021 - 05:37 PM

You have to go up in quality with spotters.  I had a B&L Elite 77mm ED that was actually a decent richfield ED.  I even took the front off and stuck a focuser on it.

I agree. While I'm sure Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica are sublime ( the AP and Taks of the spotter world), I've found my Pentax 100ed to be quite fine. I'm hoping to find that star diagonal mentioned above so I can test it on the heavens. smirk.gif

#1179 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:58 PM

I mean classic constructions and, as I pointed out - the most common situations. The average achromat at the price of an average spotting scope will show a much better image. I have a dozen classic achromats and a few spotting scopes from the 50's and 70's - and all these examples prove this rule.

#1180 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 10:24 PM

One thing I forgot to mention about my Meade 152ED find is that when I was researching it, doing a search, either on Google or on CN for Meade 152ED brought up long list of posts by Bomber Bob where he talks about his APM 152ED on a Meade 826 mount. I finally had to quote the phrase to narrow the search.

But I did find it amusing that he'd posted about it so many times that he's trained the search engines to index it ahead of the smaller number of posts that are specific to the Meade. Good work, fighting the tyranny of the algorithms, JW!  bow.gif

Chip W. 

• Bomber Bob, Augustus, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#1181 jragsdale

jragsdale

Viking 1

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:32 PM

At a local Goodwill found a Celestron Firstscope 80 (80/910) made by Vixen on an alt-az mount, nice finder, diagonal and eyepiece, just missing the tripod legs. Only $20 and all the glass is in great shape.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210916_172816_copy_2016x714.jpg

• Steve_M_M, steve t, Marc-Andre and 10 others like this

#1182 norvegicus

norvegicus

Mariner 2

• Loc: en route

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:47 PM

At a local Goodwill found a Celestron Firstscope 80 (80/910) made by Vixen on an alt-az mount, nice finder, diagonal and eyepiece, just missing the tripod legs. Only $20 and all the glass is in great shape.

For $20!

The Orion version of that scope just sold on SGW for $326+S&H.  https://www.shopgood.../Item/129712013

So $301 more for the legs.

Please let us know how well that mount works.   smile.gif

Edited by norvegicus, 16 September 2021 - 09:09 PM.

#1183 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:26 PM

I would go 150 for it.

• mdowns and jragsdale like this

#1184 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:00 PM

I picked up my next little project scope. When it arrives I want to compare it to this Meade 226.

2.jpg

The new purchase is a Selsi possibly made by Towa, but the label was too hard to read in the photo. If its in bad shape I will choose a new color to paint its tube. I bid on it last second, I'm sorry if I stole it out from anyone here. I got home from work late, logged onto the site and saw it was ending in 6 minutes and decided to pick it up. My bid was about double the price it eventually went for.

3.JPG

The one part that I really wanted was the mount, as its a slight upgrade to the mount on the Meade. If the Selsi ends up out performing the Meade, I will give the Meade to a friends son. If the Meade wins the comparison I think I will keep the Selsi's mount and use it on the Meade and put together another small 60mm for my friends son.

I always thought this little Meade 226 was decent in performance for such a in-expensive scope.

My friend just built a tree house in the backyard for his grade school age son, and I think his kid would have a lot of fun with a inexpensive scope to peak out of his new tree house. His son is really into the military, and wants to join the Army when he grows up. So I think he would love to have a telescope in his tree house.

Edited by Mbinoc, 16 September 2021 - 09:42 PM.

• steve t, Marc-Andre, oldmanastro and 3 others like this

#1185 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:31 AM

While not the deal Jordan got @ Goodwill I picked up this barebones OTA today from a very local CL ad. When the seller  finally reposted @ a lower price I thought I'd better check out what all the  Vixen CN chatter has been about. The ad was first posted well over a month ago and I resisted, but time took its toll and resistance became futile. I tried to play dumb (usually don't have to play) with the seller but at one point I slipped and told him I wanted this one (he also has a Made in China OTA for sale as well) because it was Made in Japan. He almost flipped his ****, took the OTA out of my hands, read the label carefully, said he should have read the fine print as he didn't realize this. I shoved 2 twenties into his hand and took off. Better seller's remorse than buyer's remorse for a change. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010590.jpg

• ArizonaScott, Steve_M_M, steve t and 6 others like this

#1186 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:04 AM

<"He almost flipped his ****, took the OTA out of my hands, read the label carefully, said he should have read the fine print as he didn't realize this. I shoved 2 twenties into his hand and took off. Better seller's remorse than buyer's remorse for a change.">

Now that really sounds like a "grab & go" scope..! :lol: 

• jragsdale likes this

#1187 norvegicus

norvegicus

Mariner 2

Posted 17 September 2021 - 05:41 AM

While not the deal Jordan got @ Goodwill I picked up this barebones OTA today from a very local CL ad. When the seller  finally reposted @ a lower price I thought I'd better check out what all the  Vixen CN chatter has been about. The ad was first posted well over a month ago and I resisted, but time took its toll and resistance became futile. I tried to play dumb (usually don't have to play) with the seller but at one point I slipped and told him I wanted this one (he also has a Made in China OTA for sale as well) because it was Made in Japan. He almost flipped his ****, took the OTA out of my hands, read the label carefully, said he should have read the fine print as he didn't realize this. I shoved 2 twenties into his hand and took off. Better seller's remorse than buyer's remorse for a change. 

Another score!

Nice legs, btw.

#1188 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:06 AM

Jordan, how many telescopes have you bought this month?   :)

#1189 jragsdale

jragsdale

Viking 1

Posted 17 September 2021 - 09:08 AM

Jordan, how many telescopes have you bought this month?   smile.gif

Do I have to look? Ok, let me check... Meade ETX-70 ($18), Tinsley Saturn Spotter ($57), TeleVue 101 ($1k), Unitron 114 ($60), Cave Astrola 8" f/6 (Free), Celestron Classic 5 (Free), Bushnell Spacemaster II ($80), Firstscope 80 ($20), Sky Chief Jr ($25).

9 in the last 17 days. Jeez, are you pointing out that I have a problem? lol.gif

• Steve_M_M, steve t, mdowns and 3 others like this

#1190 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 17 September 2021 - 09:12 AM

There is nothing ever worth buying in my local area. I just have bad luck i guess.

#1191 jragsdale

jragsdale

Viking 1

Posted 17 September 2021 - 09:28 AM

There is nothing ever worth buying in my local area. I just have bad luck i guess.

There will be times where I don't find anything for months, then sometimes it pours. I checked 12 thrift stores yesterday to score the 2 scopes I found. Took the better part of 4 hours.

#1192 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 September 2021 - 09:03 AM

When buying on line, sometimes you win, and sometimes you loose. The one part on the Selsi scope I really wanted was broke.

1.JPG

The accessories (90% angle, barlow, and finder mount are all at least metal, and look like they will clean up). The actual scope tube is in better condition then I imagined, and will clean up well. The metal focuser movement works and is not stripped.

2.JPG

The scope was also not made by towa, but has a Japan marking with a circle double "V" or a circle "W" depending on how you look at it. I have not had a scope with that marking before.

3.JPG

Kudos to the shipper, for sending it out fast.It arrived yesterday. I just wish they would have mentioned the mount was broke. Oh Well, I will have to see if I can get creative, and make the mount serviceable. I already have some Idea's on how I'm going to make it work. (With some small wood cut outs and some epoxy, I should be able to mount some legs on it). But first I will see if any of my other mount base portions can be modified to fit and replace the broken part.

I did not spend much money on this one, so really did not loose on its purchase price. If I did decide to part it out, I would probably be able to get most my money back. So I'm not upset at all.

Figuring out solutions to little problems is fun, and helps keep the mind busy!

Edited by Mbinoc, 18 September 2021 - 09:24 AM.

• Bomber Bob, Kasmos, LukaszLu and 1 other like this

#1193 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:37 AM

If you have this broken part of the casting, a skilled technician could probably connect everything together using epoxy and threaded metal pins.

#1194 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:53 AM

If you have this broken part of the casting, a skilled technician could probably connect everything together using epoxy and threaded metal pins.

I don't have it. I may try cutting a wood insert the correct thickness, and epoxy it in place. I may add some pins myself though the existing metal that is left. (good idea). I will try to make it look as original as possible with some filler, and then spray it black. It won't have to be perfect, just serviceable.

I'm sure one day I will have another opportunity to find a similar mount in-expensively in better condition.

I have a few similar mounts for in-expensive 60mm scopes, but they do not have the horizontal micro adjust this one had.

I only have kept the Meade around, because as a kid my father gave me a similar sized scope. It was so long ago I can't even remember what it was. All I remember it that it was grey in color, and had a lousy mount similar to the one on the Meade. It also did not have a diagonal, so everything was upside down. I did not use it much at all as a kid. Just used it to see the moon a few times and then it sat unused for the rest of its life.

I sold it on craigslist for I think $15 a few months before I joined this website. I now feel bad for even selling it, but at the time I did not have any clue about telescopes, and was just trying to clear clutter.

I found the above posted Meade at goodwill after I joined this website, and decided to give a scope that size a 2nd chance out of curiosity to see what I could have seen if I had proper guidance when I was younger.

It turns out Saturn is interesting, and you can also get decent views of Jupiter and its moons through a small 60mm. All things I never got to see though my previous scope as a child.

Edited by Mbinoc, 18 September 2021 - 12:24 PM.

#1195 norvegicus

norvegicus

Mariner 2

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:54 AM

Would this work?  The hole in the center measures 25.75mm.

IMG_1562.jpeg

• Marc-Andre likes this

#1196 norvegicus

norvegicus

Mariner 2

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:56 AM

another pic.  Top surface is 71mm, the very shallow depression is 52.5mm.

Pretty sure it's from a Towa EQ1 class mount, like what comes with a Jason 313.  I got it free on CN in a box of parts and it's extraneous to my needs.

IMG_1563.jpeg

Edited by norvegicus, 18 September 2021 - 11:57 AM.

• mdowns and Mbinoc like this

#1197 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:28 PM

another pic.  Top surface is 71mm, the very shallow depression is 52.5mm.

Pretty sure it's from a Towa EQ1 class mount, like what comes with a Jason 313.  I got it free on CN in a box of parts and it's extraneous to my needs.

attachicon.gifIMG_1563.jpeg

Maybe, I will check later today. I have to run to the DMV today. I'm just preparing now to leave the house.

• norvegicus likes this

#1198 norvegicus

norvegicus

Mariner 2

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:17 PM

I looked at Jupiter, Saturn, and Luna last night with my Mayflower 814 on it's alt-az mount.  I forgot how light that rig is, easily picked up with one hand.

The seeing was just okay (Bortle 6 or 7, Pickering 5 or 6), maxed out at 140X, but the scope was not the limiting factor.  Was able to pick out surface features on Jupiter and all 4 moons were perfect bright dots.  Couldn't quite make out the Cassini gap.

I love this scope.  I'm pretty sure I'll keep it forever.

I did an eyepiece comparison:

University Optics Ortho 9mm (78X) :  meh, it's okay.  It's for sale.

Fujiyama HD-ortho 4mm (175X): meh, it's okay, was probably too much magnification for the seeing.  Just sold it.

Edmund RKE 8mm (88X):  better contrast, brighter colors, more planetary detail than either of those, and easier to use.  At least as good as the Fujiyama when I used it with a 2X silver top Barlow for the same magnification.

AstroTech Paradigm 5mm (140X):  winner in every category.  About the same contrast, brightness, and color quality as the RKE but easier to use due to eye relief and bigger eye lens, and wider field of view, making it easier to find the planets and a longer view before having to adjust the scope.

Edited by norvegicus, 18 September 2021 - 01:20 PM.

• Terra Nova, Kasmos and Defenderslideguitar like this

#1199 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:27 PM

plus one on these  Astro Tech ED Paradigms

I started picking them up when I used a 8mm and a 12mm    now I have the whole set.  

first I just liked the feel and the heft and the eye relief  then the optics were very nice    then the rubber style coating    great for outreach and newbees   

In the heat wave this summer  when I was out in what became too much humidity we were  glad to have these used eyepieces available to keep the Nags in the house

oddly   the pop up ad from our sponsor is always there but they are never available new well before the pandemic even    but folks do pass them around used    40   45  dollars etc

• Terra Nova and norvegicus like this

#1200 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:47 PM

When buying on line, sometimes you win, and sometimes you loose. The one part on the Selsi scope I really wanted was broke.

attachicon.gif1.JPG

The accessories (90% angle, barlow, and finder mount are all at least metal, and look like they will clean up). The actual scope tube is in better condition then I imagined, and will clean up well. The metal focuser movement works and is not stripped.

attachicon.gif2.JPG

The scope was also not made by towa, but has a Japan marking with a circle double "V" or a circle "W" depending on how you look at it. I have not had a scope with that marking before.

attachicon.gif3.JPG

Kudos to the shipper, for sending it out fast.It arrived yesterday. I just wish they would have mentioned the mount was broke. Oh Well, I will have to see if I can get creative, and make the mount serviceable. I already have some Idea's on how I'm going to make it work. (With some small wood cut outs and some epoxy, I should be able to mount some legs on it). But first I will see if any of my other mount base portions can be modified to fit and replace the broken part.

I did not spend much money on this one, so really did not loose on its purchase price. If I did decide to part it out, I would probably be able to get most my money back. So I'm not upset at all.

Figuring out solutions to little problems is fun, and helps keep the mind busy!

With hindsight I can see the damgage in your earlier posted image, but SGW really should have taken a photo of what is a obvious issue. Also, I never understood why some tripod hubs were made with those slits in the lugs and we can now see a good reason they shouldn't have been. Hope you can solve this issue.

About the double VW mark. The diagonal looks like one I have that came with some EPs and a barlow marked Diamond Z and I've also seen them included with other Diamond Z scopes. Are there any marks on your EPs and barlow?

Also, who knows if we will ever understand how a scope that looks like a Towa, can later be made by Diamond Z, then probably later the mysterious VW?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics