•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
1292 replies to this topic

#1276 norvegicus

norvegicus

Ranger 4

• Loc: en route

Posted 07 October 2021 - 06:24 AM

Cool photo!  It demonstrates what an atmospheric dispersion corrector can help with, looking at the color gradient from top to bottom.  I've been thinking about getting one.

https://astronomy-im...product/zwo-adc

#1277 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 07 October 2021 - 07:50 AM

...just to clarify, it was just that this Saturn through the D-IK was a spur of the moment thing in very unfavourable seeing & elevation at the time.....Saturn is actually high Downunder atm & we utilise an ADC for lower-elevation imaging as well as for the Mars from last year's apparition where we obtained our highest resolution images ever despite most imaging done at 48° such as these: http://momilika.net/...mAT150pcFIN.png  (click on image for full sizing...) 

• jim kuhns, Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#1278 norvegicus

norvegicus

Ranger 4

• Loc: en route

Posted 07 October 2021 - 08:08 AM

...just to clarify, it was just that this Saturn through the D-IK was a spur of the moment thing in very unfavourable seeing & elevation at the time.....Saturn is actually high Downunder atm & we utilise an ADC for lower-elevation imaging as well as for the Mars from last year's apparition where we obtained our highest resolution images ever despite most imaging done at 48° such as these: http://momilika.net/...mAT150pcFIN.png  (click on image for full sizing...) 

Wow, that's very impressive Mars work, very well done!  I had forgotten where you are.  Enjoy the high planets while they last!

Edited by norvegicus, 07 October 2021 - 08:09 AM.

• jim kuhns and Defenderslideguitar like this

#1279 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 07 October 2021 - 04:12 PM

I found a free RV6 down the street from me. It's missing the original focuser and the hole has been bored out too much to stick the old one on. I'm going to stick on a GSO Crayford focuser and paint it hot pink, since the original paint is trashed and I've already restored 3 of these with the standard paint job.

• Bomber Bob, jragsdale, Ben Bajorek and 3 others like this

#1280 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 07 October 2021 - 07:13 PM

Tomorrow I will look to get started on what I can do to clean up the 80mm Cresent scope I picked up earlier this week. Working Monday through Thursday this week I already got in my 40 hours, so my manager gifted me another three day weekend.

I'd actually prefer to work and collect the bonus overtime pay, but its also nice to be getting these random three day weekends. I have now had three of them in a row, they almost feel like a mini vacation.

I love my new job!

Edited by Mbinoc, 07 October 2021 - 07:25 PM.

• Pete W likes this

#1281 jragsdale

jragsdale

Viking 1

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 08 October 2021 - 12:14 AM

...and paint it hot pink, since the original paint is trashed and I've already restored 3 of these with the standard paint job.

Why not do like a space themed wrap? Maybe with a Hubble image super high res? Then donate for outreach?

• Marc-Andre likes this

#1282 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 08 October 2021 - 07:25 AM

Why not do like a space themed wrap? Maybe with a Hubble image super high res? Then donate for outreach?

Every club in the area already has enough outreach scopes (and hardly uses them).... 

• Mr Magoo and jragsdale like this

#1283 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 08 October 2021 - 04:48 PM

Every club in the area already has enough outreach scopes (and hardly uses them).... 

We get more donated scopes that we could possibly use.

• Augustus likes this

#1284 jragsdale

jragsdale

Viking 1

Posted 08 October 2021 - 05:14 PM

We get more donated scopes that we could possibly use.

Flip 'em and save up for an NV setup with an H-alpha filter (~$6k). Best thing I've ever seen for outreach and you can do it from any level of light pollution.

#1285 rweisberg

rweisberg

Explorer 1

• Loc: Gold Canyon, Arizona

Posted 08 October 2021 - 07:04 PM

70643A7B-D2CF-4CDB-A82F-BBA48027AA62.jpeg Just picked up a Unitron model 114 complete. Well, I need the dust cover for the objective. Beautiful telescope Can't wait to try it out!

Edited by rweisberg, 08 October 2021 - 07:06 PM.

• photiost, Jim Curry, jim kuhns and 6 others like this

#1286 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 08 October 2021 - 07:22 PM

Flip 'em and save up for an NV setup with an H-alpha filter (~$6k). Best thing I've ever seen for outreach and you can do it from any level of light pollution.

Being nonprofits, many clubs are forced to keep donated scopes for a period of time before selling. Often years.

#1287 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 08 October 2021 - 07:43 PM

Wished i could go on a spree and take em all home.

#1288 jragsdale

jragsdale

Viking 1

Posted 08 October 2021 - 09:01 PM

Being nonprofits, many clubs are forced to keep donated scopes for a period of time before selling. Often years.

Ahh, bummer, didn't know that. 

#1289 rweisberg

rweisberg

Explorer 1

• Loc: Gold Canyon, Arizona

Posted 10 October 2021 - 08:56 AM

attachicon.gif70643A7B-D2CF-4CDB-A82F-BBA48027AA62.jpegJust picked up a Unitron model 114 complete. Well, I need the dust cover for the objective. Beautiful telescope Can't wait to try it out!

Took the Unitron 114 out for a quick look last night. After reading all the alarming articles in CN forums about bad Unitrons, I was hoping mine would not be in that number. I first used the Unihex with .965 eyepieces and noted the dim images (I am used to more aperture). My neighbor had his plant lights on and so it was not as dark as my back yard can be (I can see the Milky Way when his lights are off). Thankfully though, the quality of the images was encouraging. Then I went to some 1.25 eyepieces and was struck with the clear images! Jupiter with a 9mm ep looked amazing for a 60mm telescope. Saturn also looked good, and I could barely make out a cloud band and hints of the Cassini division. Did not do a star test yet, but I was very encouraged by the quality optics in this old little scope. Also, it looks great in my office.  :)

• photiost, jim kuhns, steve t and 8 others like this

#1290 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 10 October 2021 - 03:58 PM

I'm on a roll lately! Pierre Schwaar's sister apparently still has some of his stuff and I am picking it up Wednesday.

• jim kuhns, steve t, mdowns and 4 others like this

#1291 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 11 October 2021 - 04:48 PM

Yes, I'm down-sizing.  Yes, I bought another old scope -- BUT, not a Mizar...

Kenko GO-SCOPE 540:

Kenko GS-540 AS01.jpg

I posted the ad link for it a while back.  It didn't sell.  Ad popped up again, so I nabbed it - cheap.

- A test for me of Kenko optics;

- At F9, an uncommon Focal Ratio for a 60mm;

- At 540mm, almost the same Focal Length as my Mizar GT-80S F7;

- Interesting comparisons with my Excellent Yamamoto 60mm F7;

- I missed out on that RARE Kenko 60mm fluorite APO.

The Lens needs work:  It pigged-out at the Andromeda Strain Buffet, then went back for seconds!  Will probably take days of peroxide soaking to kill all the growths...  

• photiost, jim kuhns, steve t and 8 others like this

#1292 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

Posted 15 October 2021 - 05:15 PM

Guido's post about Carton optics is par for the course:  Your experience with the Unitron vs Carton lenses is just like mine. When comparing observations with the 60mm f/15 Unitron lens (mounted on my 6305 Towa refractor) and the 60mm f/17 Carton refractor. It's very difficult to tell them apart. Both objective lenses deliver excellent performance.  LINK:  https://www.cloudyni...#entry11430133 

So... What about that really bad Carton 60B (60x800) that I gave away??  It's an example of Quality Lens in a poor quality OTA.  New Owner is gonna ATM it:  Build a decent OTA around the lens, and enjoy their first Classic 60 -- like with Guido's N-S lens in a Sears (T) 6305 OTA.  (No surprise that an N-S 60 F15 is an improvement over a Towa!)

• oldmanastro likes this

#1293 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

Posted Today, 07:54 PM

UPS dropped it off at 1940L....  Kenko G-Scope 540:

Kenko GS-540 Delivery S01.jpg Kenko GS-540 Delivery S02.jpg Kenko GS-540 Delivery S03.jpg Kenko GS-540 Delivery S04.jpg

The Lens doesn't look as bad as the ZEN photo -- the growths appear to be on the eye side of the flint (R4).

Solid!  Tube feels like an aluminum baseball bat...

Got the lens out of the cell.  Crown is perfect.  Flint had a couple of small spots on the sky face, and a bunch on the eye face.  Already have it soaking in a Peroxide Bath...

Edited by Bomber Bob, Today, 08:14 PM.

• clamchip likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics