•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#151 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:16 PM

My new Tasco 'Novice' 60mm. It was given to me.

I just love the color.

I'm not sure how old it is, these 60mm Tasco's are pretty timeless.

I'm very surprised to see it has a coated air-spaced objective and

3 spacers rather than a ring spacer.

You can see right now it's multi-coated ! and sadly I think I made a family of spiders homelessfrown.gif  

Robert

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

Edited by clamchip, 19 September 2020 - 03:18 PM.

• mattyfatz, GreyDay and AstroKerr like this

#152 GreyDay

GreyDay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:05 AM

My new Tasco 'Novice' 60mm. It was given to me.I just love the color.

I'm not sure how old it is, these 60mm Tasco's are pretty timeless.

I'm very surprised to see it has a coated air-spaced objective and 3 spacers rather than a ring spacer.

You can see right now it's multi-coated ! and sadly I think I made a family of spiders homelessfrown.gif

I have been given/bought a few modern Tasco scopes over the last 10 years or so, they're getting better all the time! the novice is fairly recent.

i've had the Galaxsee, Luminova, and Novice. The galaxsee is okay the latter pair are better(just) but still not at Japan standards. Free is the best price for any scope and thats what i charge when i pass them on.

They're a cheap multicoated achro, the Luminova takes 1.25" accessories, other than the "average" mounts they're not a bad starter scope. Great find.

Sad for the spiders though, they lost a planetarium smile.gif

Edited by GreyDay, 20 September 2020 - 06:56 AM.

• clamchip likes this

#153 John Rogers

John Rogers

Viking 1

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:56 PM

It took a long time to get here, but the wait was worth it.

I was fortunate to be the first to respond to a telescope giveaway from fell CN member Mountman back in early March.   Not living in the area, I arranged for my daughter to take possession of the circa 1964 ANRA/Optical Craftsman 6” f8 Newtonian.  I planned on picking it up from her within a few weeks and then the Covid-19 lockdown occurred.

After much delay, the telescope finally reached its new home a few weeks ago.  The instrument is outstanding in all respects.  The first-light visual observations of Jupiter revealed great contrast although the seeing was not too good.  Then the wildfires broke out and the skies had been covered in smoke.

Finally, last night the smoke cleared away sufficiently, that I was able to get these prime focus images of Jupiter and Saturn using a ZWO ASI224MC camera with average seeing.

Circa_1964_ANRA-Optical_Craftsmen_6-inch_f8.JPG

20200920_0440UTC_Jupiter_ANRA.jpg 20200920_0455UTC_Saturn_ANRA.jpg

• clamchip, DreamWeaver, steve t and 15 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics