•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#151 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:16 PM

My new Tasco 'Novice' 60mm. It was given to me.

I just love the color.

I'm not sure how old it is, these 60mm Tasco's are pretty timeless.

I'm very surprised to see it has a coated air-spaced objective and

3 spacers rather than a ring spacer.

You can see right now it's multi-coated ! and sadly I think I made a family of spiders homelessfrown.gif  

Robert

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

Edited by clamchip, 19 September 2020 - 03:18 PM.

• mattyfatz, oldmanastro, GreyDay and 2 others like this

#152 GreyDay

GreyDay

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:05 AM

My new Tasco 'Novice' 60mm. It was given to me.I just love the color.

I'm not sure how old it is, these 60mm Tasco's are pretty timeless.

I'm very surprised to see it has a coated air-spaced objective and 3 spacers rather than a ring spacer.

You can see right now it's multi-coated ! and sadly I think I made a family of spiders homelessfrown.gif

I have been given/bought a few modern Tasco scopes over the last 10 years or so, they're getting better all the time! the novice is fairly recent.

i've had the Galaxsee, Luminova, and Novice. The galaxsee is okay the latter pair are better(just) but still not at Japan standards. Free is the best price for any scope and thats what i charge when i pass them on.

They're a cheap multicoated achro, the Luminova takes 1.25" accessories, other than the "average" mounts they're not a bad starter scope. Great find.

Sad for the spiders though, they lost a planetarium smile.gif

Edited by GreyDay, 20 September 2020 - 06:56 AM.

• clamchip likes this

#153 John Rogers

John Rogers

Viking 1

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:56 PM

It took a long time to get here, but the wait was worth it.

I was fortunate to be the first to respond to a telescope giveaway from fell CN member Mountman back in early March.   Not living in the area, I arranged for my daughter to take possession of the circa 1964 ANRA/Optical Craftsman 6” f8 Newtonian.  I planned on picking it up from her within a few weeks and then the Covid-19 lockdown occurred.

After much delay, the telescope finally reached its new home a few weeks ago.  The instrument is outstanding in all respects.  The first-light visual observations of Jupiter revealed great contrast although the seeing was not too good.  Then the wildfires broke out and the skies had been covered in smoke.

Finally, last night the smoke cleared away sufficiently, that I was able to get these prime focus images of Jupiter and Saturn using a ZWO ASI224MC camera with average seeing.

Circa_1964_ANRA-Optical_Craftsmen_6-inch_f8.JPG

20200920_0440UTC_Jupiter_ANRA.jpg 20200920_0455UTC_Saturn_ANRA.jpg

• tim53, photiost, mattyfatz and 24 others like this

#154 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

Posted 27 September 2020 - 02:37 AM

Russia came thru... 80mm f/8 nicknamed "Kiev 3" for it's first postal update arrived. Box was travel worn, but the seller did a good job anticipating and the scope survived.

gallery_279828_11275_11076.jpg

It's heavy; don't have a weight yet, but it is heavy. Glass is quite quite good. Focuser is firm and slip free aannddd not 0.965". Not "within tolerances" bs close.  Have to find the good calipers but it's around 28mm - 0.965 diags / eps just flop around. I borrowed the SkyChief Jrs diag in the end, applied 5 layers of blue tape to the barrel and still had to shim to remove the slop. Oh well. It is centered & tight. I have a number of ~80mm focusers avail if needed - but the current config works. I'll dig out one of the nice diags Em sold me a while back and upsize it or something.

OTA is 96.5mm diameter - it is currently sitting in a set of guide/finder rings on a vixen rail and it seems happy enough. The finder peepsights are not installed yet.  I'll do those and a synta finder bracket shortly - there are a couple extra holes on the tube. Somewhere, I do have proper rings.

Removed finger smudge from center of objective with optical wipe. No clams or coating degradation. The tube is thick and heavy - repurposed electrical conduit would not surprise me.

I have smoke haze (I guess), clouds, the moon, Mars, ver few stars. I did manage a couple faint - ghostly faint - star tests. 20mm & barely discernable, but discernable 6 & 5mm. AD/rings look(s) good - no comets, no skews, etc. Concentric and as clean as tonights skies allow.  

5mm is the current limit with the SC Jr diag. Focus + ~1/4 turn in. A focuser replacement is in order, given the non-standard kinda 0.965 vb - which, btw, is very, very well made. 

Lunar @ 6mm, CA is low on the limb - a fine highlight, unnoticeable along the terminator. Skies probably help in that respect. Plenty of detail.

Mars - Any detail @ 6mm is blurred @ 5mm.  (~106x/128x). As expected, not a big nor bright image - but, +/- skies, clear & fair sharp. Really need a good night and proper star, test, but I am not unhappy at the moment. Better glass than I knowledgelessly expected.

$250 / $340 shpd. It's a Russian scope, it's an 80mm, f/8. I have longer & shorter 80s, but no Russians, so I found that enticing - how would one measure up? So, for me the price was okay = it was worth it. It's good I have a number of 80mm focuser 'upgrade' options - maybe get 10mm more 'in', maybe go 1.25 or larger - depends what fits, what works. I don't think this was designed with diagonals in mind. It isn't a Cadillac, but it isn't a Skoda either - it is "Kiev 3"!

Peace and Good Skies...  

p.s. the long bolts came with the rings and are tipped, but ugly, yes. It's also undermounted.

Edited by AstroKerr, 27 September 2020 - 02:49 AM.

• mattyfatz, clamchip, steve t and 10 others like this

#155 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:04 AM

Russia came thru... 80mm f/8 nicknamed "Kiev 3" for it's first postal update arrived. Box was travel worn, but the seller did a good job anticipating and the scope survived.”

Kiev Is in Ukraine which is not part of the Russian Federation and has been separate since the dissolution of the CCCP. There is an on and off shooting war that’s been going with Russia for several years.

#156 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 03 October 2020 - 07:00 PM

I bought a 20 inch f/5 today.

It's a oldie from around the early 1990's with the small side bearings and pole sockets

inside the mirror box.

It belonged to the sellers dad who now has dementia and can no longer use it.

He knew the maker but forgot, a well known Californian is all he can remember.

The EbonyStar needs to be reglued and I need to make one broken pole socket and

then I should be able to try it out.

Researching Morvac Optical Coating they had a excellent reputation, this one has held

up well. Too bad they are long gone.

Robert

IMG_0177.jpg

image2.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Edited by clamchip, 03 October 2020 - 07:07 PM.

• tim53, mattyfatz, steve t and 9 others like this

#157 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 03 October 2020 - 07:17 PM

Robert,

That 20" is a Tectron or a dead match copy.  Tom Clark was the founder and proprietor of Tectron. He has long since retired.

Check the mirror box for ventilation. Ventilation is the biggest drawback typical of design.  You can research my info for comparison to what you have.

Even if yours is a copy, you won't be disappointed in researching the source it was designed from.  I have one of his scopes.

Tectron was based in Florida.  Tom Clark moved to the high deserts of the South West when he retired.

Edited by apfever, 03 October 2020 - 07:21 PM.

• mattyfatz, clamchip, steve t and 1 other like this

#158 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 03 October 2020 - 08:07 PM

Thanks Neil.

It does have a Tectron focuser.

Robert

• mattyfatz and AstroKerr like this

#159 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 03 October 2020 - 08:32 PM

I bought a 20 inch f/5 today.

It's a oldie from around the early 1990's with the small side bearings and pole sockets

inside the mirror box.

It belonged to the sellers dad who now has dementia and can no longer use it.

He knew the maker but forgot, a well known Californian is all he can remember.

The EbonyStar needs to be reglued and I need to make one broken pole socket and

then I should be able to try it out.

Researching Morvac Optical Coating they had a excellent reputation, this one has held

up well. Too bad they are long gone.

Robert

attachicon.gifIMG_0177.jpg

attachicon.gifimage2.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage0.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage1.jpeg

You have many skills I have yet to acquire it seems at finding astronomy equipment. We live in the same general area and I have no idea where you find the stuff you do..bow.gif    

• mattyfatz, clamchip and AstroKerr like this

#160 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 03 October 2020 - 09:54 PM

This was a craigs list ad for a 8 inch dob for $40 dollars.

I recognized it as a very early Orion Deep Space Explorer made by Discovery Telescopes

in California and I knew this was a very good telescope.

The seller said it was spoken for but I have a 20 inch if your interested.

I said yes I think I'm interested.

So there I am a 20 inch telescope for a very reasonable amount of money.

There's a reason why it's in my family room, I have no more room!

Did I let that stop me from purchasing the scope? no way!

Robert

IMG_0177.jpg

• mattyfatz, steve t, Terra Nova and 5 others like this

#161 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 03 October 2020 - 11:57 PM

what’s the eyepiece height at zenith? 11ft?

#162 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 October 2020 - 12:24 AM

about 7ft.

#163 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 04 October 2020 - 07:25 AM

This was a craigs list ad for a 8 inch dob for $40 dollars.

I recognized it as a very early Orion Deep Space Explorer made by Discovery Telescopes

in California and I knew this was a very good telescope.

The seller said it was spoken for but I have a 20 inch if your interested.

I said yes I think I'm interested.

So there I am a 20 inch telescope for a very reasonable amount of money.

There's a reason why it's in my family room, I have no more room!

Did I let that stop me from purchasing the scope? no way!

Robert

attachicon.gifIMG_0177.jpg

I refrained from checking out that 8 inch because I've already drug in 3 scopes this year and the W O T H is getting a bit freaked out. She thinks I'm going to turn the house into a telescope warehouse. But if I had known about that 20 inch...

• clamchip likes this

#164 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

Posted 04 October 2020 - 07:33 AM

Russia came thru... 80mm f/8 nicknamed "Kiev 3" for it's first postal update arrived. Box was travel worn, but the seller did a good job anticipating and the scope survived.”

Kiev Is in Ukraine which is not part of the Russian Federation and has been separate since the dissolution of the CCCP. There is an on and off shooting war that’s been going with Russia for several years.

Ah! As always, you brighten my day!flowerred.gif

I said just what I meant to say.  "Russia came thru" was my reference to the optics being quite okay. It was listed as "Telescope 80/800 USSR Soviet Spyglas БШР" and to me, in my experience, Soviet/Russian are a bit interchangeable - or they were "back then". Whether Russia or any Russian actually had anything to do with it's design or fabrication, say handing off the Russian design for fabrication in one of the satellites - I don't know that I care - it's my "Russian" scope, Kiev 3, sold to me by a wonderful Ukranian soul who packaged it to survive it's journey from Ukraine. 

I wish things were moving as quickly for my lovely little Planet scope 20x telescope from Japan, which is still in transit. It left home Aug 1st, but due to Covid restrictions ended up on a freighter [que Wailing and Moaning]

gallery_279828_11275_9086.jpg

Uhhh! How shall I survive the wait?! I know, I'll come up with a nickname for it - perhaps based on some port it's ship has visited or passed close by! Maybe "Kawasaki 1" for Kawasaki Port, where it began it's international journey! Hmmm - no, no - that won't do - sounds 'motorcycley'... and there's that Kawasaki disease "mucocutaneous lymph node syndrome" blyech! think of something else...

Edited by AstroKerr, 04 October 2020 - 08:41 AM.

• clamchip, steve t, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#165 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:08 AM

Thanks Neil.

It does have a Tectron focuser.

Robert

Opinion on the focuser?  They are typically praised for an R&P, and quite smooth. All mine have been quite nice.

#166 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 04 October 2020 - 09:53 AM

Opinion on the focuser?  They are typically praised for an R&P, and quite smooth. All mine have been quite nice.

I need to clean it. I like that it rotates.

It is rack and pinion so maybe the telescope is older than I think.

You are right Neil, it must be a Tectron from what I'm finding.

I haven't assembled the scope yet, not sure of the eyepiece height

at zenith. I'm hoping to leave it on a cart which will add another

8 inches.

Robert

• steve t likes this

#167 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 04 October 2020 - 09:57 AM

I refrained from checking out that 8 inch because I've already drug in 3 scopes this year and the W O T H is getting a bit freaked out. She thinks I'm going to turn the house into a telescope warehouse. But if I had known about that 20 inch...

I looked at the ad for the 8 inch for a week, just stunned no one bought it for $40. Although the

ad did say 'needs work.' I finally cracked and sent up the white flag, and found out about the 20

inch.

Oh, clamchips? yes I'm afraid so. 

Robert

Edited by clamchip, 04 October 2020 - 10:07 AM.

• steve t, PawPaw and DouglasPaul like this

#168 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 04 October 2020 - 07:58 PM

I have Mr. Clark's book 'The Modern Dobsonian' and it's a Tectron for sure, from around

1992-93.

Mr. Clark stopped telescope manufacture in 1997 and retired in 1999. 

The secondary obstruction is 20%. The secondary mirror has a couple clamchips and fortunately

I have a new 4 inch doing nothing left over from my DS-16.

I fabricated the broken truss pole clamp today, what's left is to reglue a few of the EbonyStar bearings

and then it's time to see what it's got.

Robert

Scan0003.jpg

• tim53, DreamWeaver, steve t and 4 others like this

#169 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 07 October 2020 - 10:21 AM

I fabricated the broken truss pole clamp now I just need to reglue a few of the

EbonyStar bearings.

In the meantime, there's some talking going on in the family room...

Robert

IMG_0180.jpg

Edited by clamchip, 07 October 2020 - 10:22 AM.

• steve t, Marc-Andre, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#170 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 07 October 2020 - 10:30 AM

"What the h*ll is that? What the h*ll is that? What that dang thing doing here? How did that get here? What the h*ll is that?"

lol.gif 

• clamchip, steve t, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#171 DIYDarren

DIYDarren

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 October 2020 - 01:08 PM

A couple days ago I got a hold of an old Tasco 7TE-5 1000mm scope. Had to drive a couple hours to the middle of nowhere (I STARTED in the middle of nowhere too), but figured what the heck. Didn't want it ending in the trash or some snot-nosed kid getting it and then breaking it. 

Anyway, while not mint, the kit is basically complete. 3 nice quality volcano top Royal Astro eyepieces, sun filter, porro prism, weights, objective cap, etc. Only functional damage i have noted is the crosshairs are broken within the finderscope. Objective lens turned out to be in great condition despite some original fears that it was had some significant scratches. (Turned out to be just some junk on the surface). 

Not sure what I am going to do with it... as soon as the smoke clears I will do a shootout between it and my "Tasco 152x" which is also RAO but even older still.

I know not allowed to do "for sale" posting here but if anyone is doing a restoration and needs any parts, please PM me... I may not keep it all. Not sure.

20201007 100115

20201007 100135

20201007 100205

• Steve_M_M, photiost, steve t and 8 others like this

#172 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 07 October 2020 - 01:25 PM

I have Mr. Clark's book 'The Modern Dobsonian' and it's a Tectron for sure, from around

1992-93.

Mr. Clark stopped telescope manufacture in 1997 and retired in 1999. 

The secondary obstruction is 20%. The secondary mirror has a couple clamchips and fortunately

I have a new 4 inch doing nothing left over from my DS-16.

I fabricated the broken truss pole clamp today, what's left is to reglue a few of the EbonyStar bearings

and then it's time to see what it's got.

Robert

attachicon.gifScan0003.jpg

In our club there are two members who own 15in Tectrons

Tectrons are incredibly smooth on both axis ... the only difference is in the quality of the mirrors

Great instruments , congrats !!

Edit:  the secondary that Tectron used were quite good ... you may want to compare the views with the Tectron and the DS16 ...

Edited by photiost, 07 October 2020 - 03:00 PM.

• steve t likes this

#173 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:40 PM

In our club there are two members who own 15in Tectrons

Tectrons are incredibly smooth on both axis ... the only difference is in the quality of the mirrors

Great instruments , congrats !!

Edit:  the secondary that Tectron used were quite good ... you may want to compare the views with the Tectron and the DS16 ...

I can test the secondary and the spare secondary I have against a flat and see which is better. Sadly

though the Tectron secondary has a good size clamchip.

The primary has no identifying marks only a sticker from Morvac Optical Coating in California, probably the

original coatings, and because of the weight of the primary maybe it was made in California, even though

Tectron was in Florida.

The only other mark is 'SI' and the focal length. I haven't had much luck identifying SI.

Robert

Attached Thumbnails

• image0.jpeg
  • image1.jpeg

• steve t, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#174 Jaz5833

Jaz5833

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 07 October 2020 - 09:04 PM

I recently became interested in acquiring a telescope and came to CN to learn enough to make a wise choice. Thanks to the good information found here, I think I've found a good first example.

Initially,  I thought this scope was made in 1965 based the small publication that was included in the cabinet and Sears adverts. However, I found a date on the publication of 6/70, so any info on the production date, would be appreciated. 

I found this Discoverer 4 63333-A on Offer Up for $60, it's complete, minus the leg chains and manual.

Sears 2.jpg

20201007_142422_copy_600x337.jpg

20201007_142156_copy_600x337.jpg

• Steve_M_M, steve t, Marc-Andre and 9 others like this

#175 Jaz5833

Jaz5833

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 07 October 2020 - 09:31 PM

I recently became interested in acquiring a telescope and came to CN to learn enough to make a wise choice. Thanks to the good information found here, I think I've found a good first example.

Initially,  I thought this scope was made in 1965 based the small publication that was included in the cabinet and Sears adverts. However, I found a date on the publication of 6/70, so any info on the production date, would be appreciated. 

I found this Discoverer 4 6333-A on Offer Up for $60, it's complete, minus the leg chains and manual.

Sears 2.jpg

20201007_142422_copy_600x337.jpg

20201007_142156_copy_600x337.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201007_141722_copy_600x337.jpg

Edited by Jaz5833, 07 October 2020 - 09:33 PM.

• oldmanastro, Garyth64, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics