•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
1782 replies to this topic

#1726 kit.kenneth

kit.kenneth

Lift Off

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 08 January 2022 - 02:04 AM

I recently got a Cometron CO-60E on a Polaris mount.  The seller said that he lost the wire to this unit... just wondering what this might be?  Maybe a clock drive?  Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• _DSF2451.JPG

• jim kuhns, steve t, Star.Monger and 4 others like this

#1727 luxo II

luxo II

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 08 January 2022 - 06:44 AM

That's a DIN plug (used for audio gear back in the 1970's) and its a stepping motor with integral gearbox. Probably a bipolar one. You'll need a multimeter to figure out the motor connections.

You'll need a driver chip or module for a stepper, see for example www.pololu.com

Edited by luxo II, 08 January 2022 - 06:46 AM.

• steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#1728 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 08 January 2022 - 12:05 PM

The last of my DEC 2021 ZEN buys -- Mizar MMD-QZ (Quartz) S-A Drive:

Mizar MMD-QZ AT01 - Complete Kit.jpg

This will go on the Mizar Comet.  It's smaller & simpler than the MMD-III drives that I have on my other EQs.

• Steve_M_M, Deven Matlick, jim kuhns and 6 others like this

#1729 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Viking 1

Posted 10 January 2022 - 12:10 PM

Amazingly, Starbase in Tokyo still has Teegul mount parts. Unfortunately they’re out of stock on the part that converts the Teegul 60 tube clamp to the standard Takahashi bolt pattern. A couple of days ago one popped up on Zen, along with a Tak V size dovetail saddle for the small Teegul. I took that as a sign I needed to go ahead and do the full upgrade. So I’ve ordered the parts to convert the mount to the full TG-SM plus a saddle, Tak compatible dovetail, and a 1/4-20 adapter so I can put the mount on a heavier tripod.

• Bomber Bob and 39cross like this

#1730 jkmccarthy

jkmccarthy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Posted 10 January 2022 - 01:52 PM

I recently got a Cometron CO-60E on a Polaris mount.  The seller said that he lost the wire to this unit... just wondering what this might be?  Maybe a clock drive?  Thanks!

That's a DIN plug (used for audio gear back in the 1970's) and its a stepping motor with integral gearbox. Probably a bipolar one. You'll need a multimeter to figure out the motor connections.

You'll need a driver chip or module for a stepper, see for example www.pololu.com

While I don't mean to discourage kit.kenneth from using a multimeter to figure out [or at least confirm] the motor connections, I suspect the task of getting his clock drive working may not be as daunting given the motor's resemblance to the drives sold by Orion for their EQ-1 and/or EQ-3 mounts.

Adapted to the Vixen Polaris, apparently one is faced with a mismatch in the number of worm gear teeth (the Orions have 130 teeth, the Vixen 144, so the Orion motor runs too slow by the factor 130/144 ~ 10:11).  As discussed on CN here:

https://www.cloudyni...ount/?p=5564159

... one has the choice of changing a crystal oscillator in the Orion hand controller to speed it up, adding a pair of spur gears with a 10:11 ratio, or [for visual use] simply using the Orion motor as is -- compensating for 91% of the earth's rotation is better than nothing, and the hand controller guide buttons can be used occasionally to have the telescope catch-up with the drift of the object(s) in the eyepiece.

Other possibly helpful links:

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B0000XMWBW

https://www.highpoin...al-mounts-07829

(Located under "Product Attachments" on the High Point page is a link to the Orion instruction manual, fwiw.)

Hope this helps,

-- Jim

Edited by jkmccarthy, 10 January 2022 - 01:53 PM.

• ScopeJunkie and kit.kenneth like this

#1731 barbie

barbie

Vanguard

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 11 January 2022 - 09:12 PM

I found an excellent condition Sears 6333A refractor complete with all original accessories here in the CN classifieds. I got the shipping notice this evening!!

• mdowns, John Higbee, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#1732 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

Posted 11 January 2022 - 10:34 PM

Casual Project:  Motorizing my Kenko NES EQ.  Good News, a standard Vixen SP clutch-gear fits the RA slo-mo rod.  Looks like an old Vixen MT-1 motor assembly is near 100% identical to the original under-the-casting motor housing.  These popup on ZEN often.  But... I gotta have a Vixen / 3rd Party Hand Controller -- unless the NOS Bushnell that I have is compatible with the Vixen electronics.  (The Bushnell is also 6-pin.  But, do the pin-outs match?)

It's not Priority #1, but I am exploring all the options...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 11 January 2022 - 10:35 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#1733 jragsdale

jragsdale

Apollo

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 11 January 2022 - 11:04 PM

Just picked up a 1964 Questar (#4-QTZ-1916) on FB marketplace. An even $1k including shipping. Very nice shape, only one eyepiece, but that's easy enough to find and smooth motions on all the knobs and switches. It was purchased and owned by General Dynamics in California for 56 years as a field instrument until they closed and an employee took it home for a few years before selling it to me.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20220111_195046.jpg

• deSitter, Peter B, jim kuhns and 18 others like this

#1734 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 11:11 PM

Welcome to the Questar club! That's a great price, and might make it worth returning to Questar for a full service if it needs cleaning or collimation. You could even have it upgraded to PowerGuide while it's there, so it can be driven without needing to be on AC. I believe the S/N is indicating that it has one of the Quartz mirrors, which pretty much eliminates cool-down time.

Chip W. 

• jragsdale, Defenderslideguitar, ScopeJunkie and 1 other like this

#1735 jragsdale

jragsdale

Apollo

Posted 11 January 2022 - 11:21 PM

Welcome to the Questar club! That's a great price, and might make it worth returning to Questar for a full service if it needs cleaning or collimation.

I had almost planned on it, but it's pretty clean (the mirror is perfect, corrector is excellent aside from a small amount of dried condensation around the very edge and a single small fingerprint), it's very well collimated (just did a star test on it in a gap in the clouds) and all the knobs turns smoothly and the control box is very smooth and snappy. Even the outside just needs a damp wipedown and aluminum polish on the base. I don't think there's much that NEEDS done. At least, it could wait another 20 years until it really NEEDS it, but I've had a Questar before that was great and this is every bit as good, or even a hair better.

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#1736 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

Posted 11 January 2022 - 11:32 PM

Congrats on your Q!!  $1000?  That's gotta be the lowest price I've seen so far on an EQ Model w/ case.

• Kasmos and jragsdale like this

#1737 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 11 January 2022 - 11:33 PM

foreheadslap.gif And he laughed when I called him "Mr. Lucky".  

• Terra Nova and jragsdale like this

#1738 jragsdale

jragsdale

Apollo

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:50 AM

foreheadslap.gif And he laughed when I called him "Mr. Lucky".  

Haha, I KNEW I'd hear that moniker again after this one.

But that base, it's so shiny... 🔥 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20220111_224053.jpg

• jim kuhns, Bomber Bob, Kasmos and 3 others like this

#1739 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:33 PM

Very nice Questar ! Great price and welcome to the club. Minor correction when it comes to Quartz optics in a Questar or any other optical system.  They do not decrease cool down time.  Heat in  the optics warms the air that is what is distorting the image. Quartz optics and other low expansion material have about the same emissivity so they cool at  the same rate    The reason for very low expansion glass is they do not change shape when with the change in temperature  but again the heat needs to go somewhere before the image will stabilize. In a Maksutov the corrector is made from usually BK-7 or some other optical glass which  has a higher  thermal expansion then Pyrex and much higher then Quartz. So the corrector is changing  shape as it cools. The corrector and having  the air in the tube stabilize is the limiting factor in the cool down time require to obtain a stable image in the eyepiece.   Another note on the cooling of cassegrain systems like a Mak or Schmidt is the light travels up and down the tube three time before it reaches the eyepiece so air currents in the tube are much more disruptive to the wavefront then say a refractor which  has a single pass of the light down the tube.

- Dave  

Edited by DAVIDG, 12 January 2022 - 09:04 PM.

• mdowns, Terra Nova, Bonco2 and 5 others like this

#1740 RichA

RichA

Aurora

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 12 January 2022 - 07:56 PM

Congrats on your Q!!  $1000?  That's gotta be the lowest price I've seen so far on an EQ Model w/ case.

Friend got one for about $600 U.S.  With BB coatings.  Two years ago.

Edited by RichA, 12 January 2022 - 07:56 PM.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and jragsdale like this

#1741 jragsdale

jragsdale

Apollo

Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:24 PM

That's a bona-fide steal!

#1742 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

Posted 12 January 2022 - 09:53 PM

That's about 1/3 what I paid for mine, and I was happy to get such a good deal back then.

#1743 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 12 January 2022 - 09:58 PM

That's a bona-fide steal!

Yes, but someone who used to frequent this site bought a Q7 OTA for $305

Questar 7 auc.jpg

Like I always say, if there isn't a photo, it didn't happen! grin.gif

• jim kuhns, RichA, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#1744 RichA

RichA

Aurora

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:14 PM

attachicon.gifQuestar 7 auc.jpg

I got a couple Q7's for really good prices, but not THAT good!

#1745 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 13 January 2022 - 02:41 PM

attachicon.gifQuestar 7 auc.jpg

Holy c**p!!! $50 per inch of aperture! That's good for a department store scope!

-drl

#1746 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 48° 16′ 8.4″ N, 225° 59′ 24″ W

Posted 15 January 2022 - 02:09 AM

Pulsar 102M & Kenko Achro 90 arrive:

gallery_279828_11275_26424.jpg  gallery_279828_11275_54544.jpg     gallery_279828_11275_22784.jpg gallery_279828_11275_44487.jpg  gallery_279828_11275_16121.jpg  gallery_279828_11275_1493.jpg

The pix might bite, but the Pulsar certainly does not, chubby bugger. Finder needs an o-ring. Objective is fine, fine, fine. Misplaced barrel for the diagonal was in the focuser and not stripped or damaged;  all hardware present. Diagonal and EPs  in good shape, cleaned perhaps, or infrequently used. Mount is a marvel - really like the bastid, despite ~1/16th turn play in azimuth, set that straight when I'm done viewing. Other than that, things are smooth and tight and it's a joy to use - handles the scope very well and if you are calm and gentle it all settles immediately, even with the long slo-mos. I thought to replace them with shorts, but a couple hours use convinced me otherwise - just danged convenient.

Tripod legs are fat and solid and as such, non-adjustable. The tray arms are angled and non-adjustable, held to the legs with bolts and wings - tightens everything down nicely. End result is one spread width / diameter, so one height - fine by me. Triangular tupper-tray lid has a crack and a half on one side, oh well - I'll print one shortly. Green tupper-bucket fits the triangular base well and is supported nicely by the angle iron frame. Hub has those blasted slots for the leg bolts - despise'em, I'll do the fix nicely. The 6mm leg bolts fit the slots with barely a gap - I like that. The U portion of the leg has a relief slot to aid clamping action and I like that as well 

Let's see - double trunnions with wingnuts port and starboard to keep the OTA secured to the mount. They work - I gave the underside of the OTA a few hard raps and nothing moved, but the OTA may have growled at me, so enough of that. The straight thru finder is nice, crosshairs intact and all, but a 90° would suit me better - a multi--ret on a tallish stalk would be okay.

I have no actual complaints - all there, all works, works well. Sweet deal, keeper scope, fab mount. I really like this scope - it's fraggin' cool. It needs a case!

KENKO:

The Kenko objective has fungimilmoldidew -  2 Zeiss wipes on the sky surface appears to have gotten it clean, but the other 3 surfaces still have blyech. Disassembly and full cleaning shortly. The sky surface coating appears not to have been affected by the growthses - I have faith. and peroxide.

The OTA is a scratched mess; yay, I get to paint. 1 Cell collimation pusher screw taped inside dew shield. Those screws have annoyingly narrow single slots - meh. Focuser drawtube has ~1mm play and I think it's a shim I hear skittering about inside. Other than that, the focuser seems to be in fine shape - no hanging, dragging, slipping, missing teeth, burring yaddablah. 

No pix yet - no time tonight - not mounted. I did prop it in the Pulsar's mount earlier with a cushion of bubblewrap and did some street lights - it focuses and the glass really is filthy. If the coatings/glass aren't etched, it'll be okay - it is a nice build, despite it's current appearance. At least it's HERE - The StellaMira is STILL in Phoenix - since the 23rd. DHL is unbelievable (literally). 5 times in the last 12 days  "We're handing it off by COB today for final delivery. You'll have it in 2~3 days." yeah? oh man. If it doesn't move by Monday, time to cancel. It has been an excellent exercise in patience. Almost fun.

Edited by AstroKerr, 15 January 2022 - 04:46 AM.

• photiost, jim kuhns, clamchip and 12 others like this

#1747 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Viking 1

Posted 15 January 2022 - 02:55 AM

That Pulsar was a nice one.

• AstroKerr likes this

#1748 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 48° 16′ 8.4″ N, 225° 59′ 24″ W

Posted 15 January 2022 - 04:56 AM

That Pulsar was a nice one.

Lucky. It rides the mount very nicely - love it to pieces already. Managed to grab that Eikow mount tonight - might work for the H-45, but perhaps not.

#1749 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

Posted 15 January 2022 - 10:59 AM

Congrats!  An F13 Vixen... can we say virtually false-color-free?   I knew we could.

#1750 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 15 January 2022 - 11:22 AM

Congrats!  An F13 Vixen... can we say virtually false-color-free?   I knew we could.

“I don’t think so Tim.” lol.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• D0AAAAB1-F5D7-4CBA-AE65-AEAE9AC89A75.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 15 January 2022 - 11:24 AM.

• jim kuhns, strdst, steve t and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics