•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tele Vue Blog: Rodger W. Gordon’s Thoughts on the Tele Vue-85 and Questar 3.5″

eyepieces equipment Maksutov refractor filters moon optics observing imaging
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stars4jon

Stars4jon

Vendor (TeleVue)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Orange Co., NY

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:18 PM

Rodger W. Gordon has been an amateur astronomer since 1952 and has written over 300 articles for various amateur astronomy publications. Having owned hundreds of eyepieces, he has been known as the “Eyepiece King” of the hobby. In his long career, he has worked for Edmund Scientific, Vernonscope, Optical Techniques, and has consulted for Questar.

In this week’s blog, he views lunar craters in a Questar 3.5″ and Tele Vue-85 and gives us his comparison results. Read and share this blog using the shortened link:

Rodger W. Gordon’s Thoughts on the Tele Vue-85 and Questar 3.5″

Caption for the photo below: Al Nagler (“Dr. Dioptrx”) with his Tele Vue-85 and Questar 3.5″.

Attached Thumbnails

• HatonOn.jpg

• TerryWood and rcwolpert like this

#2 trainsktg

trainsktg

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oregon and Ohio

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:45 PM

Huh, well this is neat. I didn’t think spending a little casual scope time with Dad would wind up on a Televue blog or I’d at least have taken some pictures 😆. 

Keith

• ianatcn and mtr1 like this

#3 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:15 PM

100x and 110x are too low to bring out all the detail either scope is capable of showing.

Both of mine handle 200x easy on the Moon.

Dave

• Terra Nova likes this

#4 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 15 August 2020 - 09:31 AM

I find the views with my Questar Standard B/B compares very nicely with my views using my Takahashi FC-76 F8 when looking at Jupiter and Saturn at around 200X. In fact just about a week ago I had first one and then the other out on two consecutive nights of similar seeing. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 3263D5D0-BF25-4217-8EA9-FEC10B86DB83.jpeg
  • EA390CA1-37BF-4FAF-8A4A-45D716980677.jpeg

• davidmcgo, Kevin Barker, ianatcn and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyepieces, equipment, Maksutov, refractor, filters, moon, optics, observing, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics