•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SW EQ6-R Pro & Talent Cell battery

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SkippyMcSkipperson

SkippyMcSkipperson

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Troy, Illinois

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:26 PM

Has anyone used the TalentCell battery to power a Sky Watcher EQ6-R Pro?

https://www.amazon.c...97350297&sr=8-4

I assume one would use this cable (https://www.highpoin...sRoCd3EQAvD_BwE) and plug into the 12V port on the TalentCell, correct?

What kind of time are people getting out of them if they are using them?  I would only be running the mount, no computers or anything else.

#2 sc285

sc285

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeastern KS

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:46 PM

I'm using the TelentCell 8300mAH battery on a iOptron CEM40 which draws about .6ma on just tracking. Getting around 15 hrs before a total recharge. Depends on how much slewing I do to new targets. Slewing on the CEM40 uses about .9mA. Not using it for anything involved in imaging, only running the mount.

Check what the amp draw is on the SW mount and that should give you a good idea for time before recharge.

#3 rk2k2

rk2k2

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Cool, CA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:23 PM

Ditto the 8300- Not a EQ6-R but It powered my EXOS2 for10 hours until it had discharged by 50% - 75% (according to the status LEDs').  It now powers my GM811- last night for 5 hours almost all tracking, charge level LED's were still at 3 of 4 on.  Night before last was 6 hours with lots of GoTo's, 2 of 4 status LED's were still on   I found once it gets to below 50% discharge my EXOS2  started exhibiting 'weird' behavior  (50% as indicated by 2 LED's still on which probably means it's somewhere BETWEEN 25 and 50%).  As for the 811G, I recharge after each use.  The 8300 is now 2 1/2 years old and still working as it always has.

#4 AhBok

AhBok

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:11 PM

I have not tried that particular battery but will say my EQ6R Pro, while excellent, does very poorly when the voltage under load drops below 12v. Sure, it will track all night on 12v, but those steppers take a good bit of current when both are activated when slewing. I find my steppers even growl intermittently when using a 17Ah AGM. I know of several other EQ6R Pro with the same limitation. I never had issues with a 33Ah deep cycle battery. These days I use a 10A regulated supply since I no longer drag the mount into the field. You may have better luck, but I’m quite certain my mount would not slew very many times on a Talentcell battery, though I have used them very successfully on my Celestron mounts.

#5 Devonshire

Devonshire

Ranger 4

• Loc: S/W Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 August 2020 - 11:06 AM

rk2k2,

I found once it gets to below 50% discharge my EXOS2  started exhibiting 'weird' behavior  (50% as indicated by 2 LED's still on which probably means it's somewhere BETWEEN 25 and 50%).

Probably voltage drop.  I tried the next size up Talentcell on mine (PMC8 plus imaging, plus, plus...) and was surprised that I couldn't get more than a couple of hours out of it, even though it still showed charge and the consolidated power draw was only about 1A.. 

Fortunately, my Powerbox app reports voltage-in, and that told the tale.  Yes, the battery still had charge.  No, it wasn't at the voltage I needed.  Once I get close to 11.4v with my assorted gear, I need to call it a night.  Switched to a Celestron LiFePO4 and while still not regulated, it does hold voltage much better. 

#6 Cristofori

Cristofori

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:10 PM

My EQ6-R Pro draws about 1.7 amps when slewing, and around 1 amp when just tracking (22lb payload controlled via EQMOD, no hand controller connected). As mentioned above, the EQ6-R Pro behaves erratically when the voltage drops below 12v. I never tried my Tallentcell on the EQR-6 Pro as I use a large LiFePO4 battery to power the mount, cameras, hub, laptop, etc.

In general, Tallentcell batteries are great and I actually use the 11,000 ma/hr version for my CPC1100. I put a velcro strip on it and slap it on the side of the fork. It works for several hours on outreach night and I don't have to contend with wires.

As others have mentioned, the Tallentcell may be too anemic to reliably drive the EQ6-R Pro.

• AhBok likes this

#7 SkippyMcSkipperson

SkippyMcSkipperson

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Troy, Illinois

Posted 17 August 2020 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for the info everyone.  I was trying to find something on the smaller side to use with the EQ6-R Pro to save a few pounds since the mount itself is getting close to having its own gravitational pull.  I guess I will look for something else, right now the mount is only used at home and I have connection to house power, but I am getting my kit together to make it portable so I will need a non-AC power source for it soon.

#8 NatureKnyt

NatureKnyt

Lift Off

Posted 18 August 2020 - 01:22 PM

Any reason not to get a LiFePO4 version? It's a little smaller (and so is my mount), but I grabbed this Talent Cell: https://www.amazon.c...duct/B07YRZYLKV

#9 NatureKnyt

NatureKnyt

Lift Off

Any reason not to get a LiFePO4 version? It's a little smaller (and so is my mount), but I grabbed this Talent Cell: https://www.amazon.c...duct/B07YRZYLKV

#10 NatureKnyt

NatureKnyt

Lift Off

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics