•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help me replace Birder Binos with Astronomical

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OIC

OIC

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Suburbs of Denver, USA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:26 PM

My present binos, Nikon Prostaff 7s 10x42, don't really work well for stargazing because of that color fringing. I'd like to get an astronomical pair with more light gathering ability and maybe up to 15x. With a budget of $300 or so, what would you recommend.

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:47 PM

More magnification will counter the light gather, the extra magnification also necessitates the use of a tripod, or monopod at least.

To me Astronomical binoculars have 45 degree set eyepieces, or 90 sometimes. Unfortunately they also cost a few thousand $$'s. But they are not just what amounts to a scalled up big set birding or nature binoculars with "astronomy" written in front.

#3 Cestus

Cestus

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:06 PM

15x70 is a good choice. Oberwerk Deluxe are good mounted on a tripod or monopod.

#4 OIC

OIC

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:22 PM

Yes, I do have a tripod.

#5 Dinosour23

Dinosour23

Messenger

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:22 PM

I tried viewing the sky with mounted straight through binoculars and I just don't get people, it is extremely uncomfortable and makes we want to head back home after 5 minutes.  What happens when you want to look straight up ?  Neck surgery.

For me, the only way is hand held, on a chair for up to 45 degrees or on back for straight up and around. 

Some people use the parallel mounts to solve that exact issue, or as others have said, 45/90 degree eyepieces. 

Edited by Dinosour23, 13 August 2020 - 04:22 PM.

#6 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:44 PM

OIC,

I think this may be the first time I've read about "colour fringing" ruining a stargazing experience.

I have some binoculars that show shocking amounts of "colour fringing" in the daytime but not when aimed at the night sky, so long as I steer away from the moon.

Could you please expand upon this a little?

Kenny

• Jon Isaacs, Alan French, fjnlsa11 and 1 other like this

#7 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:53 PM

OIC, what astronomical objects does the color fringing of your 10x42s  bother you on?  Sure, perhaps brightest objects like Moon or planets will show a fringe but 10x isn't best for observing them anyhow.  I've always found 10x42s to be generally pretty immune to CA due to the low magnification.   

If you already have a tall tripod appropriate for binos, in your price range the above mentioned Oberwerk 15x70 Dlx is a good buy and is popular here in the Binos forum.  It's more robustly built than the more delicate LW binos and worth the extra money, IMO.

To me, 15/16x70 is a huge step up from hand held 8-10x binos in how deep they reach. The view becomes more telescopic but with the binocular vision advantage. It's a great step up in magnification while still maintaining a relatively bright exit pupil and wide field of 4°+.  I find ED color correction in binos, even at higher mags, isn't that important to me for 90+% of the sky that I look at.  It's more of a daytime thing for me.  You have a color-free telescope for those brightest astro objects.  wink.gif

Rich

• Jon Isaacs and drt3d like this

#8 tmichaelbanks

tmichaelbanks

Ranger 4

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:13 PM

Hi OIC,

The Oberwerk Deluxe 15x70 is a very good choice, and many on this forum have had good things to say about them.  An added plus is that Kevin Busarow at Oberwerk will take the time with you via phone or email to talk through your requirements and provide sound advice.  I have the OB 15x70 Ultras and they are an excellent astro binocular, but at 5.5 lbs. they really require a decent mount to get the most out of them.  They are also priced at about $400, and so a little over your budget.

Another alternative is the Vortex Diamondback 15x56, which can be purchased at sportoptics.com for right around $300.  You get the 15x magnification, which is a significant and satisfying step up from 10x.  They have adequate eye relief if you wear eyeglasses and I've found the images comparable to the OB 15x70 Ultra, except a little dimmer with the smaller aperture.  But for me the saving grace is that at 34 ounces, their weight makes them much easier to handhold for longer periods, especially if you're lounging in a zero-gravity chair, and easier to grab-and-go if observing time is short or the clouds are closing in.

I wrote a short review recently, which is at https://www.cloudyni...hl= new vortex

Best of luck with your decision,

Mike

#9 OIC

OIC

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:35 PM

I guess it was Jupiter I was looking at and got fed up with the CA. 

Oberwerk seem like a great company with wonderful products. Looking at the 10x50 Ultra or the 15x70 Delux

#10 OIC

OIC

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:56 PM

If a 10x42 is, as Rich V.  says, pretty immune to CA then why do I find it so distracting? If I go to an Ober 15x70 Dlx will the CA be worse or better and by how much?

#11 Cestus

Cestus

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:58 PM

I have the Obie 20x80 Deluxe and don't notice much. Of course I am color blind, so that may affect my experience.

• Foss likes this

#12 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:52 PM

If a 10x42 is, as Rich V.  says, pretty immune to CA then why do I find it so distracting? If I go to an Ober 15x70 Dlx will the CA be worse or better and by how much?

Perhaps you're really sensitive to CA. There's always a chance the Prostaff has color problems that other 10x binos don't have.  shrug.gif   You might want to compare them to other 10x binos on the same targets to see.  I know my non-ED Pentax 10x43 DCF SP roofs show little false color and the other 10x Porro binos I have show little as well.  Higher mags will always show any fringes as larger and more obvious, though, by their sheer angular size increase.

Jupiter is a tough target in 15/16x binos and is best viewed in a scope with a smaller exit pupil/higher mag, anyhow.  My Fujinon 16x70FMTs showed a lot of CA compared to the newer design APM ED 16x70s I'm currently using.  The longer focal ratio WO 22x70EDs show even less CA even though the mag is higher.  A $300. budget won't get you into a higher quality ED bino, though.

Rich

#13 OIC

OIC

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:57 PM

From what I've read lately an ED bino is what I need. It's too bad I can't afford one. I think I'll hold off for now and try to see if I can get used to my present pair.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Hoping for smoke free skies.

#14 SStoffer

SStoffer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:56 PM

Orion Telescope sells both a 16x and 20x80 GiantView ED binoculars for $300.00. 

#15 OIC

OIC

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 10:21 PM

That's something I'll look at, the Orion ED.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics