Last night I had my CGX out to do a little auto guiding and get some photos of m57. For a few minutes the autoguiding was working okay. Then I started to get some huge fluctuations
in the graph and PHD2 would lose the guide star. I tried different guide stars, adustments of exposure, aggressiveness, and a few other things. After getting nowhere with guiding I
decided to do some videos of Jupiter and Saturn. When I slewed my mount around to the south there was a loud squealing noise and a few other mechanical noises that aren’t good.
I recycled and tried one more time. This time I got “no response 16” and “no response 17” messages. Then the mount refused to respond to any inputs at all.
I hadn’t used my CGX Mount for 9 months until last night. It is about 3 years old and has never given me problems before.
I am starting to wonder about my Celestron mounts lately. I had a CG5 and a CGEM for a long time, and they never gave me any problems. When I first got my CGX-L, the declination was so stiff I could barely move it, but Celestron was very good about replacing the mount. Now it looks like I have some electrical issues on my CGX, which has never been left outside for long and probably hasn’t been used more than two dozen times in three years.
Edited by Jeffmar, 13 August 2020 - 03:48 PM.