•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CGX, No response 16 and 17?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: salt lake city, utah

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:33 PM

Last night I had my CGX out to do a little auto guiding and get some photos of m57. For a few minutes the autoguiding was working okay. Then I started to get some huge fluctuations

in the graph and PHD2 would lose the guide star. I tried different guide stars, adustments of exposure, aggressiveness, and a few other things. After getting nowhere with guiding I

decided to do some videos of Jupiter and Saturn. When I slewed my mount around to the south there was a loud squealing noise and a few other mechanical noises that aren’t good. 

I recycled and tried one more time. This time I got  “no response 16” and “no response 17” messages. Then the mount refused to respond to any inputs at all. 

I hadn’t used my CGX Mount for 9 months until last night. It is about 3 years old and has never given me problems before.

I am starting to wonder about my Celestron mounts lately. I had a CG5 and a CGEM for a long time, and they never gave me any problems. When I first got my CGX-L, the declination was so stiff I could barely move it, but Celestron was very good about replacing the mount. Now it looks like I have some electrical issues on my CGX, which has never been left outside for long and probably hasn’t been used more than two dozen times in three years. 

Edited by Jeffmar, 13 August 2020 - 03:48 PM.

#2 SonnyE

SonnyE

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:03 AM

Sorry Jeff.

The dreaded No Response 16 and No Response 17 are the death knells for Celestron's Electrons.

There is a 2 year warranty.

Now you know why I've sworn off Celestron, and all Synta Corp products.

When my AVX died (same codes) for it's third time in 4 years I went looking elsewhere.

China has a business model, never give your money back. Just replace the bad parts.

Trouble is, the parts are the same as the ones that failed. I was not about to roll those dice again.

Monetarily, my AVX cost me $200 a year. And 14 months of that, I was working and not really using my mount.

So I really did not get a good deal on mine.

You can see where I spent my money for my replacement down below in my signature. And I couldn't be happier.

• Jeffmar likes this

#3 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:00 PM

Glance over this page for information....

https://www.celestro...-update-history

And then check your version numbers... You might have an answer.

• Jeffmar likes this

#4 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:00 PM

Sorry Jeff.

The dreaded No Response 16 and No Response 17 are the death knells for Celestron's Electrons.

There is a 2 year warranty.

Now you know why I've sworn off Celestron, and all Synta Corp products.

When my AVX died (same codes) for it's third time in 4 years I went looking elsewhere.

China has a business model, never give your money back. Just replace the bad parts.

Trouble is, the parts are the same as the ones that failed. I was not about to roll those dice again.

Monetarily, my AVX cost me $200 a year. And 14 months of that, I was working and not really using my mount.

So I really did not get a good deal on mine.

You can see where I spent my money for my replacement down below in my signature. And I couldn't be happier.

I have a Losmandy C11T coming Monday. My CGX is likely to be easier to move because the tripod only weighs 17 pounds. The mount weighs around 50 pounds but has handles, which makes it way easier to move around. I was going to sell my CGX-L, but I am going to keep it as a backup mount since my CGX isn’t working. It seems like Celestron optics have been getting more consistent and better, while their mounts might be getting worse. I don’t know that for a fact, since I am a sample size of one.

#5 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:01 PM

Glance over this page for information....

https://www.celestro...-update-history

And then check your version numbers... You might have an answer.

Thanks for the information, David!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics