•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The arrival of a Questar 7

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#226 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:31 PM

The Edmund & Mogey both had the chalkboard black, the Dakin had whatever black was originally applied.  Dakin & Edmund have aluminum tubes, Mogey has brass.  None of the interior paint layers were affected by the powder-coat, but I have no idea what Questar used...

#227 Wisconsin Steve

Wisconsin Steve

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:48 AM

Having someone else do it takes all the self satisfaction away.  Last resort.   Interesting while I was checking out powder coating they sell an aliminum paste to fill imperfections.  Aluminum still allows for power coating.   The one thing that worries me is the interior velvet black paint.  I have to see if it can take the heat from having to bake the powder coat after it is applied to the OTA.  I would hate to have to clean that interior paint if the heat makes it bubble up.  

The Unitron 150 OTA I had powder coated did not impact/damage the interior black surfaces.

#228 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: VA

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:46 AM

Guess the next step is to measure the oven and see if it will take the OTA.  If it does then I will be ordering a powder coat outfit.  

#229 Wisconsin Steve

Wisconsin Steve

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:50 AM

Guess the next step is to measure the oven and see if it will take the OTA.  If it does then I will be ordering a powder coat outfit.  

I know you want the joy of doing yourself, but I really liked the place I dropped it off for the powder coating I did and the guy seemed really interested in the scope and project. Sometimes it is best to just hire some stuff done - my 2 cents. He even stripped it first for me.

#230 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:54 AM

I'm sure Johann has more talent with rattle-can paint then Ol' BB.  And, he knows about the interior paint Questar used.  AND, it's his Q7...

JD got me hooked on powder-coating these old scopes.  I recently finished re-painting my Tinsley, and it's one of my best paint jobs -- very smooth & even -- BUT, it's delicate compared with powder-coat.  I've already put 2 long thin scratches in it messing with the tube rings.  I got a set of ultra-fine touch-up brushes, and I'll attempt fixes, but long term, the Tinsley will get the P-C treatment, too.  Much more resilient. 

#231 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:24 AM

I'm sure Johann has more talent with rattle-can paint then Ol' BB.  And, he knows about the interior paint Questar used.  AND, it's his Q7...

JD got me hooked on powder-coating these old scopes.  I recently finished re-painting my Tinsley, and it's one of my best paint jobs -- very smooth & even -- BUT, it's delicate compared with powder-coat.  I've already put 2 long thin scratches in it messing with the tube rings.  I got a set of ultra-fine touch-up brushes, and I'll attempt fixes, but long term, the Tinsley will get the P-C treatment, too.  Much more resilient. 

That is one thing I have noticed about the spray can paint I am using.  This stuff scratches easily.   I painted the tube once already and did not like the results.  While I had the tube laying on some cardboard that had some dirt on it I scratched the paint just rotating the tube on the cardboard.   That is why I am looking at the powder coating.  Hopefully this Q7 will come out great and have great optics and will be used a lot so I need durable paint. 

Edited by starman876, 20 September 2020 - 08:25 AM.

#232 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:32 AM

I'm interested to see how your powder-coat D-I-Y kit works, and I hope it turns out.

In talking with JD, I get the idea that the colors were limited when he first started.  But now, he can use a computer to mix & match almost as easily as with traditional paint -- but, my picks have been fairly simple -- the racing green is the wildest so far, until I get him to replicate the Tinsley's cranberry satin...

• Terra Nova likes this

#233 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:18 AM

I'm interested to see how your powder-coat D-I-Y kit works, and I hope it turns out.

In talking with JD, I get the idea that the colors were limited when he first started.  But now, he can use a computer to mix & match almost as easily as with traditional paint -- but, my picks have been fairly simple -- the racing green is the wildest so far, until I get him to replicate the Tinsley's cranberry satin...

I love the evenness and durability of powder-coating.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#234 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 20 September 2020 - 12:16 PM

I love the evenness and durability of powder-coating.

[Knock On Wood]  So far, not one of my P-C scopes has gotten scratched.  I sold my Edmund 4" F15 -- the first one JD did -- and it was mint.  And that scope got used a lot, and on a variety of mounts (lots of opportunities for scrapes).  My green Dakin 4 is my workhorse now, and the finish still looks perfect.  Y'all, when I wax & buff it, it shines like a new penny.

Johann, you know we're gonna want extensive pix of your Powder-Coat Project... just sayin'

• Terra Nova likes this

#235 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 12:31 PM

[Knock On Wood]  So far, not one of my P-C scopes has gotten scratched.  I sold my Edmund 4" F15 -- the first one JD did -- and it was mint.  And that scope got used a lot, and on a variety of mounts (lots of opportunities for scrapes).  My green Dakin 4 is my workhorse now, and the finish still looks perfect.  Y'all, when I wax & buff it, it shines like a new penny.

Johann, you know we're gonna want extensive pix of your Powder-Coat Project... just sayin'

I will  do my best JW.  Right now I am laying sod and taking a lunch break.   I walk by the Q7 each time I come in from outside.  It is crying for me to finish this project. 

• tim53, Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#236 RichA

RichA

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:45 PM

well, I sanded the tube again and now it is in primer ready for paint.  Was to cold to paint today, but tomorrow will be warmer.  I have seen these new powder coat guns for sale anyone use one yet?  

https://www.amazon.c...00552563&sr=8-8

also for sale direct from eastwood for $50 less

https://www.eastwood...powder-gun.html

Plus, a microwave you'll never use for food.

#237 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:08 AM

Plus, a microwave you'll never use for food.

you need either a real oven large enough or infrared lamps.  I bet you were joking about the microwave or you did not know any better .

• Terra Nova likes this

#238 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:52 AM

you need either a real oven large enough or infrared lamps.  I bet you were joking about the microwave or you did not know any better .

It would have created quite a mini-electrical storm in the microwave!

Attached Thumbnails

• B573F5C5-044D-405F-B511-D1F7F77FA81B.jpeg

• starman876, SandyHouTex, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#239 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:12 AM

It would have created quite a mini-electrical storm in the microwave!

It would short out the microwave beam and blow up the magnetron.   Also, I am not sure where I would find a microwave big enough to accept a tube of that size just to see the sparks.  Tesla would be proud of me for this experinment. 

#240 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:23 PM

A friend bought a DIY kit and uses a second hand electric oven in his garage for baking the parts. I can't recall how hot it needed to be for baking.

Not sure if it's still the case, but when I had some parts professionally done, I believe they said they were baked at 400°.

#241 RichA

RichA

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:54 AM

IR lamps wouldn't work on regular powder coating.  But the reality is, conventional paint left to properly air-dry is superior in the long-run, the only reason they use ovens (for conventional spray-on paint) is speed, like car paint shops.

#242 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:46 AM

IR lamps wouldn't work on regular powder coating.  But the reality is, conventional paint left to properly air-dry is superior in the long-run, the only reason they use ovens (for conventional spray-on paint) is speed, like car paint shops.

They sell IR lamps specifically for powder coating applications.  

#243 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 03:43 PM

I ordered a kit from this company to paint the tube

https://www.cerakote...kBoCjA8QAvD_BwE

it is a ceramic paint and air dries.    Will mix the deep purple and then clearcoat it.   

Will require me to remove the primer I have already coated the tube with.    Was told by the compamy to roughen up the ota with scotchbright pads before coating.   Sounds like fun.  The coating will be really durable.  

#244 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 08:06 PM

spent some time removing all the paint and primer I have put on the tube.  Truly amazing through all the paint remover amd acetone that original  anodized paint is still intact.   Good thing I did not powder coat the tube.  The heat from the curing would have loosened up the glue that holds the aluminum skin to the OTA.   That would have been bad.   The main tube of the OTA is made on a CNC machine and then they anodize the aluminum skin that they wrap around the CNC tube.  

Edited by starman876, Yesterday, 08:06 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#245 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted Yesterday, 09:08 PM

The reason the original anodizing held up so good is because it is not paint. It's done in a bath like chrome  plating, but it's a electrochemical process of controled oxidation. It makes the aluminum surface much harder than it otherwise is so it's a real pain to completely sand it off.

• tim53 likes this

#246 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted Today, 06:14 AM

The reason the original anodizing held up so good is because it is not paint. It's done in a bath like chrome  plating, but it's a electrochemical process of controled oxidation. It makes the aluminum surface much harder than it otherwise is so it's a real pain to completely sand it off.

I know it is not paint and more like electro plating.  I was tired and just put down whatever sounded close.  grin.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics