•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The arrival of a Questar 7

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#51 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: VA

Posted 18 August 2020 - 12:20 PM

That would mean it is a true 1/10 wave. About right for the one I used. Only issue is that it costs 20x as much.

But 20x the pleasure to use.

• Compressorguy, Terra Nova and bremms like this

#52 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2020 - 04:23 PM

Getting the scope shipped out tomorrow.   Do not know if I will get pictures of the optics before it gets shipped.  If I do not I will have to keep my fingers crossed when I take the lens cap off for first look at the optics.  

#53 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:03 PM

No way i would jump in on a used Q7 without knowing what shape it is in. Not sure what ya paid but i would guess around 2k.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#54 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:07 PM

No way i would jump in on a used Q7 without knowing what shape it is in. Not sure what ya paid but i would guess around 2k.

Some of us love adventure.   And as usual you guessed wrong. 

Edited by starman876, 18 August 2020 - 06:08 PM.

• Kunama likes this

#55 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:28 PM

I have not seen a picture of the optics.  Those will come this Wednesday.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  Even then having the optics recoated will not be that bad.   I love projects like this.   A real challenge. 

So... the corrector could be cracked?  Mirrors require a re-coat?  Q7 or not, I wouldn't give $2K for this one without seeing some kind of pix of the optics.  $500?  Maybe.  What would Cumberland charge for a serious restoration of the optics?

#56 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:35 PM

Some of us love adventure.   And as usual you guessed wrong. 

I enjoy a challenge, too.  Bought the Tinsley with no mirrors, no secondary assembly, & no mount -- but I got it cheap.

Good Luck!  I would think previous owner(s) would take care of a Questar.  If not, and you don't mind spending $$$$ with Cumberland, good for you -- and Congrats!

(No matter what the current condition, it would still be a beautiful Display.)

#57 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:49 PM

I enjoy a challenge, too.  Bought the Tinsley with no mirrors, no secondary assembly, & no mount -- but I got it cheap.

Good Luck!  I would think previous owner(s) would take care of a Questar.  If not, and you don't mind spending $$$$ with Cumberland, good for you -- and Congrats!

(No matter what the current condition, it would still be a beautiful Display.)

exactly.   How boring life would be without adventure and taking chances.  Sometimes you win and sometimes you loose.  However, it is so wonferful when you win.  

• Compressorguy, TerryWood, Kunama and 2 others like this

#58 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:54 PM

So... the corrector could be cracked?  Mirrors require a re-coat?  Q7 or not, I wouldn't give $2K for this one without seeing some kind of pix of the optics.  $500?  Maybe.  What would Cumberland charge for a serious restoration of the optics?

you sound like a wise man.  I would never pay $2K for any scope unless I could have some clue about the optics.   I know Cumberland has Q7 optics in stock.  The only thing I would have cumberland do is redo the spot on the meniscus lens. They have the paterns for the Q7.   I would have spectrun recoat the mirror.   Cumberland charged me $150 for recoating a 3.5 questar mirror which I thought was outrages.  But I figured they should be the experts on Q mirrors.  

Edited by starman876, 18 August 2020 - 06:55 PM.

#59 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:55 PM

I have had enough bad scopes to know better. You can take all the chances you want it is your money honey.  Won't be so fun if it came in bad shape and it cost 6k to get it right.

#60 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:58 PM

I have had enough bad scopes to know better. You can take all the chances you want it is your money honey.  Won't be so fun if it came in bad shape and it cost 6k to get it right.

You have had more bad scopes than anybody I know.   Must be some kind of karma.   If it comes in bad shape I will restore it.  All part of doing business.   However, I would never spend 6K to restore it.  Only a fool would spend that kind of money.  

#61 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• Loc: Paducah, KY USA

Posted 19 August 2020 - 07:43 AM

You have had more bad scopes than anybody I know.   Must be some kind of karma.   If it comes in bad shape I will restore it.  All part of doing business.   However, I would never spend 6K to restore it.  Only a fool would spend that kind of money.  

Yes, but to be fair, he's probably been through more scopes, period, than most people you know, lol. No matter what kind of luck one runs to, you're bound to go through a ton of stinkers, in that kind of buying run.

#62 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2020 - 07:58 AM

Yes, but to be fair, he's probably been through more scopes, period, than most people you know, lol. No matter what kind of luck one runs to, you're bound to go through a ton of stinkers, in that kind of buying run.

To be fair I have had well over a 150 scopes and still have about 40.  Most of the 40 are Unitrons.   Out of all those scopes I have had only a few that I would consider bad.    The stinkers, as you call them, out of this lot has been the bargain scopes that I thought I was getting a great deal on.  However, like I have found out these bargain scopes are being sold so cheaply for a reason.  Most of the time it is bad optics.   So I have stayed away from the bargain scopes and decided to look for good deals on scopes that have a good track record and that has paid off nicely.   Only problem is that now I have a ton of scopes I really like which makes it hard to sell them.  I hope the Q7 will be one of these scopes.  

#63 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 19 August 2020 - 08:49 AM

you sound like a wise man.  I would never pay $2K for any scope unless I could have some clue about the optics.   I know Cumberland has Q7 optics in stock.  The only thing I would have cumberland do is redo the spot on the meniscus lens. They have the paterns for the Q7.   I would have spectrun recoat the mirror.   Cumberland charged me $150 for recoating a 3.5 questar mirror which I thought was outrages.  But I figured they should be the experts on Q mirrors.  

Hopefully it doesn't have Broad Band coatings, if so you can't recoat them. I believe Cumberland wants around $5K for a new set of optics.  It was just posted in the Questar forum that Cumberland doesn't seem to be recoating optics for Questars any longer and want the owner to deal directly with Questar.  The optics in Q7 are good but it takes more skill and time to get them right. I would question 1/10 wave unless I see a DPAC to confirm that.  They also have a cooling issue. It takes them a looong time to cool down so you can get the most from the optics. 

Looking forward to seeing pictures when it arrives and hopefully you got a real bargain.

- Dave  

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#64 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2020 - 10:16 AM

Hopefully it doesn't have Broad Band coatings, if so you can't recoat them. I believe Cumberland wants around $5K for a new set of optics.  It was just posted in the Questar forum that Cumberland doesn't seem to be recoating optics for Questars any longer and want the owner to deal directly with Questar.  The optics in Q7 are good but it takes more skill and time to get them right. I would question 1/10 wave unless I see a DPAC to confirm that.  They also have a cooling issue. It takes them a looong time to cool down so you can get the most from the optics. 

Looking forward to seeing pictures when it arrives and hopefully you got a real bargain.

- Dave  

Well, I do not need Cumberland to recoat the optics.  There are enough recoaters.  Is there a big difference between the quality of the coaters out there?

#65 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

Posted 19 August 2020 - 11:26 AM

If it has Broad  Band coatings it is not that Cumberland won't do them it is you physically can't recoat them because you can't get the old ones off. They are bonded to the glass. If the primary has standard coatings then I have been using Majestic for years. Good prices, great quality and fast turn around. There is nothing special about the  mirrors in a Questar that they need to go back Cumberland to be recoated. The corrector are a  different story. If they have standard MgF2 coatings then Cumberland is the only coater that I know of that will strip the old MgF2, apply the new coating as also apply the aluminum spot for the secondary.  As I said someone just tried to get a corrector done and the new owners of Cumberland said they won't do it directly and it needs to go back to Questar. From what I understand Questar won't send them Cumberland but wants to just replace them with new optics Less problems for them and more profit for both Questar and Cumberland. Hopefully that isn't the case and Cumberland will work with Questar owners directly to recoat their optics. I was lucky that I was able to have the corrector in my 1961 Q redone by them before the past owners who were the sons of the original  owners sold the business to two of their employees.

Looking forward to how it all looks and works and as always happy to help if I can.

- Dave 

#66 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2020 - 11:35 AM

If it has Broad  Band coatings it is not that Cumberland won't do them it is you physically can't recoat them because you can't get the old ones off. They are bonded to the glass. If the primary has standard coatings then I have been using Majestic for years. Good prices, great quality and fast turn around. There is nothing special about the  mirrors in a Questar that they need to go back Cumberland to be recoated. The corrector are a  different story. If they have standard MgF2 coatings then Cumberland is the only coater that I know of that will strip the old MgF2, apply the new coating as also apply the aluminum spot for the secondary.  As I said someone just tried to get a corrector done and the new owners of Cumberland said they won't do it directly and it needs to go back to Questar. From what I understand Questar won't send them Cumberland but wants to just replace them with new optics Less problems for them and more profit for both Questar and Cumberland. Hopefully that isn't the case and Cumberland will work with Questar owners directly to recoat their optics. I was lucky that I was able to have the corrector in my 1961 Q redone by them before the past owners who were the sons of the original  owners sold the business to two of their employees.

Looking forward to how it all looks and works and as always happy to help if I can.

- Dave 

I will check with Cumberland later today.  They have done work for me before.  The one thing I do remember is that they want to deal only with the optics.  They will not take a scope apart for recoating the mirrors.   They let me take the scope apart at their facility last time I needed a mirror redone.  Maybe that is why they want to scope sent back to Questar.  

#67 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

Posted 19 August 2020 - 12:01 PM

I hope Cumberland will work with you, please let use know. By the way Majestic has moved to Virginia from New Jersey so they might be within driving  distance.  https://www.majestic-coatings.com/

- Dave 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#68 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2020 - 12:11 PM

I hope Cumberland will work with you, please let use know. By the way Majestic has moved to Virginia from New Jersey so they might be within driving  distance.  https://www.majestic-coatings.com/

- Dave 

they are within driving distance. thanks for the heads up smile.gif

#69 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 19 August 2020 - 06:11 PM

Some people think all scopes are perfect.

#70 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2020 - 07:02 AM

Scope should be going out today.   fingerscrossed.gif

• Bomber Bob likes this

#71 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2020 - 05:38 PM

packed up

qy packed.jpg

• tim53, Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#72 RichA

RichA

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 21 August 2020 - 01:18 AM

He must have been slow lol.gif

It was as 178mm, big scope even if short focal ratio.  Also, best view in an apo I've ever had.

#73 RichA

RichA

Vanguard

Posted 21 August 2020 - 01:21 AM

Congrats on a fabulous find. Once you get the optics sorted, you’re going to love the views through it. The Q7 is a beauty to behold and the best performing telescope I have ever looked through (once cooled properly). I believe the ota and fork mount weighed 55lbs combined. I’m sure the ota was a good half of that but 19lbs comes to mind. Not to hijack your thread but while your waiting here some pics of the one I used to own for size reference. 

You really cant appreciate the size until you see it next to a 3.5”

attachicon.gif575A49DC-CCF7-4D2E-AAAF-97E4816538A8.jpeg

or in front of you

attachicon.gif004C4DC4-2CD8-4FDC-861D-495243DD3C2D.jpeg

and with dewshield extended

attachicon.gifC0B37ED2-534A-412E-9FD0-725ED9211956.jpeg

The picture of you observing through the 7" really puts its size in perspective.  I had a kind of industrial 7" on a Celestron Ultima fork mount, but it was smaller than the Q's fork which is much better-suited to the 7" OTA.

#74 RichA

RichA

Vanguard

Posted 21 August 2020 - 01:24 AM

The 1200 I bought came out of FL.   A couple of months ago.   I have found some of the best deals in FL.

Estate sales?

wiki:

The proportion of Florida's population that is 60 and older is growing more rapidly than other components of the population. The U.S. Census Bureau estimates that 32.5 percent of Florida's population will be 60 and older by the year 2030, an increase of 34 percent from 2012.

#75 RichA

RichA

Vanguard

Posted 21 August 2020 - 01:28 AM

That would mean it is a true 1/10 wave. About right for the one I used. Only issue is that it costs 20x as much.

I don't think Questar ever guaranteed better than 1/6th wave (not to say they're aren't any) for the 7."

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics