•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for an suitable 18mm EP that is parfocal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tropobob

Tropobob

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cairns Australia

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:28 PM

I have a B collection of parfocal eyepieces for quick, casual viewing.  There are Vixen NPLs, unbranded Plossls, an old Meade WA and a few Tak & Fujiyama orthos for when the session becomes more intense.   (I have mainly quality refractors around F7).  

I find the Vixen 15mm & the unbranded 20mm to be the weak links in the collection, so would like to replace them with an 18mm EP.  From what people are saying, an 18mm Paradigm may be a very useful addition.  However, I only want it if it is parfocal with the other Eps.  

Can anybody advise me if the Paradigms Eps are parfocal with the Eps in my B collection or any suggestions regarding EPs, which will be parfocal?  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG20200814084452-small.jpg

#2 cst4

cst4

Viking 1

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:11 PM

I have an 18mm Paradigm. It’s a pretty good eyepiece but there is some field curvature happening. A better fit in my opinion would be another ortho or plossl to match the feel of the rest. Plus the 18mm Paradigm is probably bigger than that 30mm NPL. I love my 18mm Baader Classic Ortho... that’s the one I would want to put in that spot with your lineup there.  But of course if all the Fujiyama HD orthos are parfocal then you know the 18mm one would be a solution. 

Edited by cst4, 13 August 2020 - 07:14 PM.

• eros312 and Tropobob like this

#3 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:31 PM

I think that the 18mm Paradigm would only be parfocal with the other Paradigms in that series.  And I doubt that different brands of eyepieces would be parfocal to each other.

My Meade 4000 series were fairly parfocal to each other.  My Meade HD60 were also parfocal to each other.  And my ES eyepieces are parfocal to each other.

Each brand was not parfocal to the other brands.

• eros312 likes this

#4 Tropobob

Tropobob

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cairns Australia

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:00 AM

Thanks guys. I ordered a Takahashi Starbase 18mm Ortho Eyepiece from Astronomics.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics