•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tripod head offset plate (?) available or needed for mounting a 3.5" Q?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alwilder

alwilder

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:19 PM

• I recently purchased a William Optics high latitude Vixen style base mount for support and polar alignment. As shown it is mounted on my tripod. Once I attach the Questar's fork mount base via a dovetail plate, the base and scope's center of gravity will be forward from the tripod center. Is it advisable to get a some sort of plate for the base of the William Optics mount that shifts the center of gravity of the assembly laterally a few inches over for better balance? The Questar base and scope will be tilted at 37 degree angle for polar alignment. Does such a plate even exist or will it have to be fabricated at a machine shop? I have it set up so the scope will be in direct line with a tripod leg which should assist in stability and prevent accidental tipping forward.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0813202216_copy_419x973.jpg

Edited by alwilder, 13 August 2020 - 09:54 PM.

#2 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Viking 1

• Loc: Sandhills of NC

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:18 PM

I do not know of any prefabricated plate available for purchase. However, many members of this forum have fabricated plates out of various materials. Look about two thirds of the way down the first page of topics in this forum for a thread with the topics "How is your Questar mounted?"  It shows several different designs you might consider. Cheers. 

#3 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Vanguard

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:39 PM

One option that is probably obvious is to use the leg length to center the scope's mass over the center of the tripod foot triangle. 

#4 alwilder

alwilder

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:29 PM

"One option that is probably obvious is to use the leg length to center the scope's mass over the center of the tripod foot triangle."

If you mean have one of the legs directly in line with the scope's forward displaced center of gravity, I've done that as pictured. For simplicity sake I think it's the best option. The base is certainly strong enough for solid support.

#5 Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, NZ

Posted 14 August 2020 - 04:17 PM

IMG_1280.jpg

My latitide is just under 37 degrees albeit in the Southern hemisphere.

I used an astrotrac wedge. Fashioning a wooden base plate(from 15 mm Marine Ply)

It works as intended, you will see from the photo I am pretty close to having the scopes centre of mass above the tripod.

• Terra Nova likes this

#6 alwilder

alwilder

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2020 - 03:59 PM

Unfortunately I can't show the actual scope mounted to the wedge as I'm still waiting for the Vixen plate to arrive in the mail. I will show a picture of the setup once it arrives in a few days. The plate is 7" long and will be attached and centered on the Questar base. If I slide the assembly to the far left on the dovetail clamp, it will effectively move the center of gravity to the left and center a little better over the tripod. The only drawback is that it won't be centered over the middle of the clamp making it a little less stable.

#7 alwilder

alwilder

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2020 - 07:52 PM

Finally got the plate for William Optics adjustable base. Works like a charm and quite solid. Also added stops to either end of the plate to eliminate accidental slippage off the platform when the clamp is loosened.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0822201732a_copy_732x1556.jpg
  • 0822201759_copy_920x1377.jpg
  • 0822201907_copy_1423x927.jpg

Edited by alwilder, 22 August 2020 - 07:58 PM.

• NC Startrekker and SGPPV like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics