•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CGEM need help finding threaded power cord

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nemesis_318

Nemesis_318

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:39 PM

I am powering my CGEM mount from a Pegasus Pocket Power Box.  The 12V power cords are not threaded but the power plug receptacle on the CGEM mount will take a threaded plug.  (I snagged the cord and pulled it out of the mount the other night powering it down.)  I bought the mount used so I do not have any original power cords with it.  It looks like Celestron sells the power supply for the CGEM with the threaded end but it's about $70 and I can't use it with the Pegasus anyways.  That seems an outrageous price for a 12v power adaptor/plug.    Is there a reasonably priced option out there or I can wire it myself but I'm not sure where to buy the threaded plug end. 

#2 Xentex

Xentex

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2020 - 10:28 PM

I was recently looking for those when making my own connectors.  Best reasonably priced things I could find were at Digikey, see this link for several threaded barrel connector options.

In the end I didn't buy a threaded one, since I was making cables for camera, focuser, PC, dew heater, and USB hub also, and all of those were the same 2.1 x 5.5 connectors and I figured I'd try the same with the mount first and only bother with the threaded one if I had issues.  So far no issues, so I haven't bothered trying to figure out if any of those threaded ones would fit the CGEM.

#3 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 16 August 2020 - 06:41 AM

I have a factory Celestron 12v power cord with the car adapter plug that I can let you have.

Stan

#4 shark-bait

shark-bait

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Port Richey, FL USA

Posted 16 August 2020 - 07:28 AM

I found myself in the same situation a few months ago. Funny thing is, I contacted Celestron and was told that they don’t offer the threaded one any more because they want it to pull out of you snag it at night. That made me chuckle.

I ended up spending too much money on one because I like it threaded on.

#5 Waldemar

Waldemar

Viking 1

• Loc: Netherlands

Posted 16 August 2020 - 11:44 AM

Plusses and minusses on threaded connectors... pull it out and loose power or thread it on and loose the mount...

I like to have them threaded on and stay out of the way, though

Edited by Waldemar, 16 August 2020 - 11:46 AM.

#6 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:54 PM

I am powering my CGEM mount from a Pegasus Pocket Power Box.  The 12V power cords are not threaded but the power plug receptacle on the CGEM mount will take a threaded plug.  (I snagged the cord and pulled it out of the mount the other night powering it down.)  I bought the mount used so I do not have any original power cords with it.  It looks like Celestron sells the power supply for the CGEM with the threaded end but it's about $70 and I can't use it with the Pegasus anyways.  That seems an outrageous price for a 12v power adaptor/plug.    Is there a reasonably priced option out there or I can wire it myself but I'm not sure where to buy the threaded plug end. 

Did you find the power cord that you wanted?

Stan

#7 Xentex

Xentex

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 August 2020 - 06:17 PM

I happened to come across this one on Amazon.  I had been using one of these for years, but recently switched to making all my own power pole power connectors and I didn't bother with a threaded connector for the CGEM.

#8 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 19 August 2020 - 04:57 PM

Astro-Physics has been using those types of connectors for years. However they did not put them on the early AP400 mounts. I called A-P about getting a couple of connectors to update my 400 mounts to be the same as my 600 and 900 mounts and they said you can get the sockets from either Digikey or Newark.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics