•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Online or In person

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JMacd62

JMacd62

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:50 PM

I have been looking around on line for a while, even have a scope on order, which may be a while in coming. Last I heard won’t be until September. 
Being a bit old fashioned I like to talk to people and ask questions. In particular I like to try things out. 

I was actually contemplating a mount possibly equatorial.

So I found a local optical store, went to do some window shopping.

Nice friendly and helpful the obvious advice was by a Dobson.

My particular requirements includes easy and portable. Using my spotting scope has been interesting.
I wasn’t really considering a refractor. My feeling was if I upgrade my spotting scope it would be a better quality spotting scope.  
I was looking for was the ability to see objects at higher altitudes, My spotting scope interferes with the regular tripod when I try and look higher. 

Choice is limited at the moment, although I could have picked up a dob. 
They had a Meade 102 refractor. On a very simple Azz Alt mount.
Or something quite interesting, an 80m Antares on an equatorial mount specialty for observing plants.  

So I was able to try the scopes looking at at a couple of objects in the distance. 

I left with the Meade and three Antares plossl 12.5 25 and 32. 

possibly paid a bit extra over internet prices. But I wouldn’t have been able to see the difference in eyepiece quality from the ones in the box and the ones I got with it. 

I was very tempted by the longer Antares scope, probably would have chosen it if I didn’t have a mak on order. 
I thought they would have similar attribute being good for planets, 

So I chose the bigger aperture of the Meade, which is also much more portable rather like my spotting scope. 

And I will be able to spot some higher stuff between now and September. Or when other options become available. 

Now I just wait for it to get dark, then go see what I can see. 

I wasn’t considering a Meade until I went and saw it in person. 

Edited by JMacd62, 13 August 2020 - 09:52 PM.

• Starman27 likes this

#2 Echolight

Echolight

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:58 PM

There's no place around here that stocks new telescopes that I know of.

Only used stuff on craigslist. And not much of it.

Had a chance to buy a used 10 inch dob after I already had two scopes. I was amazed. And intrigued. It was a much larger contraption than my C6R and tripod.

I just couldn't convince myself that I was ready to deal with the size and maintenance of it right now. I'm trying to get the most I can out of what I already got. Although I believe, some day, I will get one at least that big.

• clusterbuster likes this

#3 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Apollo

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:37 PM

There's no place around here that stocks new telescopes that I know of.

Only used stuff on craigslist. And not much of it.

Had a chance to buy a used 10 inch dob after I already had two scopes. I was amazed. And intrigued. It was a much larger contraption than my C6R and tripod.

I just couldn't convince myself that I was ready to deal with the size and maintenance of it right now. I'm trying to get the most I can out of what I already got. Although I believe, some day, I will get one at least that big.

Your YARD CANNON is a great Telescope !

Mark

• jiblet65 and Echolight like this

#4 physik

physik

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: San Antonio, Texas

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:01 AM

I wasn’t considering a Meade until I went and saw it in person. 

THIS is why I'm glad there aren't many in-person selection options for telescopes (that I know of) where I live. I'd come home with a different scope all the time I'm sure. smirk.gif

• clusterbuster, Barlowbill and RobFresnoCA like this

#5 phillip

phillip

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Illinois

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:02 AM

So much on selectionary, it's what fits your choice, tuff without hands on experience. 

If any local star party great place to see all of these out there.

I've changed thru scopes and fell on the ever popular dob scopes. Simplistic but workable mount and can afford great aperture as so reasonable in cost.

My all time favorite  has been the XT8i, but since the Mars encounter now lumber out the XT10.

Abit ugh,  but hey if a 76 yr old with touch of arthritic knee can handle, it's likely in the range of many.

The views are rather decent. 

As you get older quickly learn a few easy does its. Mines dropped only few feet in a parking lot or farmers field entry.

Viewing in just over 2 min, Instant! My tube always thermal ready in a Toyota Corolla car trunk. TERRIFIC! 

XT10

Adore planets

Pentax 7.5mm usual winner average sky

Takahashi orthos 6mm, 5mm - orthos, careful pinhole look but great performers

10mm, 30mm Baader 

• physik likes this

#6 JMacd62

JMacd62

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 05:30 AM

So far tonight. 

I had a look at the double Star Mizar in the plough cause it was easy to find, A star I’ve seen as long as I can remember is actually two stars. Interesting. 

had a look at what think was Vega more or less at my zenith just to see if I could. Requires some awkward controrsions but yep I can look straight up.

Tried out the various eye pieces on Jupiter and Saturn both low in the sky from here at 50 ish North took me a while to figure out the Barlow requires a big change in focus before you can see anything.

Not sure what the focal length is. Certainly getting more magnification and clearer than with the spotting scope. 
Was able to spot some of the bands on Jupiter not the red spot. Using the barrow with the 12.5 ws just wiblley And harder to keep in view.

Bit better view of Saturn and its rings, I think I could see 1 of Saturn’s moons at about 2 o’clock. Occasional though I could see another closer in but not quite.
Had a look at Mars as well. Could not see any detail. 

A bit later now it’s higher up so I found the Andromeda galaxy with my binoculars. The red dot was pretty much useless, ussing the 32 m possl I found it by just scanning the area. Then used the 25 and the 12.5 

Well I could see a kind of fuzzy Ovalish white glow. 

So Pleiades becomes a significantly less recognizable when you can see more than just the 7 sisters.

And I’m still convinced my planisphere is **** backwards. 

Edited by JMacd62, 14 August 2020 - 05:55 AM.

• jiblet65 likes this

#7 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Apollo

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 14 August 2020 - 05:52 AM

....And I’m still convinced my planisphere is **** backwards.....

....had a look at what think was Vega more or less at my zenith just to see if I could. Requires some awkward controrsions but yep I can look straight up.... 

Great to hear your enthusiam as I read! smile.gif 

Regarding the planisphere, a couple of things: You say you're at 50°N. Is the planisphere labeled for your latitude? If so, set the date and time. Then (as an example), hold the planisphere with West at the bottom and face west. Hold the planisphere over your head so you're looking under it at the western sky. Bring your gaze up from the horizon and you should see matches to the star shapes in that area of the planisphere.

As far as observing at the absolute zenith itself, I tend to avoid it with some of my mounts. Wait an hour or a month, and those same targets will be off the zenith and a bit easier to aim at. Don't forget: Ours is a year-round game.

Edited by JOEinCO, 14 August 2020 - 05:54 AM.

#8 jiblet65

jiblet65

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: la Florida

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:07 AM

So far tonight. 

I had a look at the double Star Mizar in the plough cause it was easy to find, A star I’ve seen as long as I can remember is actually two stars. Interesting. 

had a look at what think was Vega more or less at my zenith just to see if I could. Requires some awkward controrsions but yep I can look straight up.

Tried out the various eye pieces on Jupiter and Saturn both low in the sky from here at 50 ish North took me a while to figure out the Barlow requires a big change in focus before you can see anything.

Not sure what the focal length is. Certainly getting more magnification and clearer than with the spotting scope. 
Was able to spot some of the bands on Jupiter not the red spot. Using the barrow with the 12.5 ws just wiblley And harder to keep in view.

Bit better view of Saturn and its rings, I think I could see 1 of Saturn’s moons at about 2 o’clock. Occasional though I could see another closer in but not quite.
Had a look at Mars as well. Could not see any detail. 

A bit later now it’s higher up so I found the Andromeda galaxy with my binoculars. The red dot was pretty much useless, ussing the 32 m possl I found it by just scanning the area. Then used the 25 and the 12.5 

Well I could see a kind of fuzzy Ovalish white glow. 

So Pleiades becomes a significantly less recognizable when you can see more than just the 7 sisters.

And I’m still convinced my planisphere is **** backwards. 

You probably saw Titan. Wednesday night was supposed to be when it was visible with at least a 3" aperture. I viewed it last night before the cloud dome closed down my viewing session. I could detect the separation of the rings from the planet but couldn't see Titan.

#9 Voyageur

Voyageur

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:57 AM

For the planisphere, do as JOEinCO says, and be sure to hold the planisphere directly over your head so that its surface is parallel with the ground, then tilt your head back to look up at it.

Not straight out in front of you, or up with your arms at an angle, or flat on a table in front of you like a road map! You don't need to lie on the ground. Just stand up straight and hold it directly overhead like you were using it to keep rain off your head. The planisphere is then kind of like a mini sky hovering over your head, just like a road map is like a mini Earth beneath your feet.

Trust me, your planisphere is not backwards or defective. Once you get the idea, you will be able to hold it at a more comfortable angle and it will make sense to you.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics