•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mt tablets CPU is not capable of handling SynScan pro :(

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CN_102NE

CN_102NE

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:05 PM

Well - first night out kind of a flop.

Installed SynScan Pro ap onto my Amazon Kindle tablet.

It seemed to work without a hitch at home in the living room.

Made the mount go in directions that appeared to be correct with no problems.

But out in the field at night it was another matter.

The tablet kept hanging up - like it was straining to keep up with the program.

When I got to a star to do the star alignment routine, the arrow pads would not work until the tablet could catch its breath for a while.

After a minute or two it would start working again.

But sometimes when I would press a button to center a star the tablet would hang up after having commanded the mount to move.

And the mount would keep on moving towards the opposite point in the sky - until the tablet came back to life again.

Not good!

I'm wondering how much CPU power is needed for the SynScan app?

#2 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:41 AM

Barely any. Syncscan Pro is a very simple app. It’s barely needs any processing power. I use it on a Kindle Fire 8. It’s more likely a memory management issue. 

I’d try clearing other apps running in the background. They might be hogging up memory. 

Edited by Cometeer, 14 August 2020 - 01:11 AM.

#3 CN_102NE

CN_102NE

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:13 AM

Thank you Cometeer

One thing I noticed on the 3 star alignment.

I wanted to choose 3 stars that were in different cardinal points in the sky.

One west, one south, one east.

So out of the list of stars to choose from - I choose one in the west as the first star.

Then I noticed it significantly reduced the 2nd star list to about 6 choices - all of them in the west!

But I already choose my first star in the west - why would it limit me that way?

Isn't that counter productive?

I also run EQMOD with a laptop, and that system allows me to choose stars from 3 different cardinal points - which according to the EQMOD literature, gives one a more accurate alignment.

Any idea what's going on there?

Do you find the star alignment process accurate?

Any hints you can provide on what issues may cause a poor alignment would be highly appreciated

Thanks!

#4 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:42 AM

My Synscan appear to take almost nothing, so it could be other apps running, maybe the management of apps by a kindle.

Is a Kindle the best, they were or started out as a reader more then a tablet.

Suppose you could check the wifi connection. As you started it out inside the house it may have somehow gone through the house wifi somehow. And just wondering if it is attempting to maintain the same routing.

The star selection could be history. When they first came out you had to select a quarter of the sky for alignment and so select stars in that quarter of the sky, and I keep reading of people being limited to the same idea even though the scope doesn't state it as such.

Unfortunately to change it would likely mean a fairly substantial rewrite of the software and that would mean starting out with "new" software and spending a year or two removing bugs and problems. So the old approach is likely left in, maybe somewhat less obvious. As in it determines where your first star is and then offers only similar quarter of the sky options.

As far as they are concerned it works, is "proven", and your only complaint is that you do not get the expect set of alignment stars offered.

#5 CN_102NE

CN_102NE

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:01 AM

Thanks Cosmos!

When you say the star selection is limited to a quarter of the sky - that seems to be what I experienced.

It sounds like the developers designed it so that a user is limited to one quarter of the sky at a time?

Do a star alignment in one quarter of the sky - limiting your visual observations to that section of the sky. 

When you are done with that quarter of the sky - you can initiate another 3 star alignment in another quarter of the sky.

And again limit your observations to that section of sky.

Is that what you mean?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics