•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Veil Nebula

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:43 PM

I agree with you on the astro aspects.  LR just doesn't seem like the right tool.  For bright objects I could probably get by, but for these dim DSOs, StarTools worked a lot better.  I'm very familiar with LR and wish it did work better for astro.  I actually have Photoshop, too, as part of my Adobe package, but I never really bothered to learn it.  I did mess with it a bit with this Veil image, but I'm finding I like StarTools better.  It seems PS needs a lot of plugins to work well for astro.  I'm sure it can be done manually, but I'm no PS guru.

#27 starblue

starblue

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: St. George, Utah, USA

Posted 16 August 2020 - 09:09 PM

LOL, don't even get me started about the DPR forums.  I've gotten into quite a few "lively" arguments over there.  Those forums can turn into a real circus lol.gif

I've found the DPR Astro forum generally supportive of beginning astrophotographers. They're less likely to get sliced-n-diced there than here, particularly true when one is using nonstandard equipment (i.e. not Canon or Nikon). Also, I like nightscape photography, which gets more attention there.

As for your Veil photo, I think it's remarkable you got such a good image of it from the city. Just exposing longer should get you closer to your goal.

• ET_PhoneHome likes this

#28 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2020 - 10:57 PM

I've found the DPR Astro forum generally supportive of beginning astrophotographers. They're less likely to get sliced-n-diced there than here, particularly true when one is using nonstandard equipment (i.e. not Canon or Nikon). Also, I like nightscape photography, which gets more attention there.

As for your Veil photo, I think it's remarkable you got such a good image of it from the city. Just exposing longer should get you closer to your goal.

Thanks.  Yeah, I think certain sections of the forums over on DPR are more civil than others =)

I will try longer integration times and see how it goes, but I'll probably practice on easier targets to get my feet wet.  Not knowing a lot about AP, I think I was expecting too much from such a short total exposure.  Plus, I didn't realize that so much work went into post-processing.  I would say I'm a competent amateur photog, and am good at editing in LR to get pleasing results, but man, this AP stuff is a whole new world.

I shot Cassiopeia the other night (20s x 40) and here's what I got with StarTools.  I added the star spikes with a PS plugin, which I suppose was "cheating", but without them, it's very difficult to tell what the image is.

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

#29 starblue

starblue

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: St. George, Utah, USA

Posted 16 August 2020 - 11:34 PM

I'd call your Cassiopeia quite respectable. Did you do it from in town? In town using regular (unmodified) camera equipment I find star clusters easier than nebulae or galaxies and reserve the latter two for dark skies.

• ET_PhoneHome likes this

#30 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2020 - 11:43 PM

Thanks!  Yep, just from my backyard.  I'm in a Cleveland, OH suburb, so the skies are pretty light.  I can't see the Milky Way at all, but I did notice the Pleiades last night, and I could count all seven "sisters" with the naked eye, but just barely.  On top of the regular light pollution, I have a neighbor in the house behind me that has the most obnoxious backyard light I've seen.  It lights up the whole back of his house in a bright bluish/white light, and even lights up the houses next to him.  He seems to have it on at random times.  It's ridiculous.  I'm going to take a picture and post it next time I notice it on tongue2.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics