•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Keep rodents out of obsy?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Rydeen 98

Rydeen 98

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:35 AM

What do people usually do to keep rodents out of their compact domes/pods? I just found two dead mice in one of the cases I use to store gear in my 6 foot pod. So gross. I'm thinking of trying one of those high frequency ultrasonic devices or a strobe light (strobe worked fairly well in my house crawl space). Any better solutions? I don't think it's possible to seal the entry ways effectively on something like this with a rotating dome and small gap around the pier. TIA.

Edited by Rydeen 98, 14 August 2020 - 01:43 AM.

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:56 AM

I put sticks of Rat Poison around the edges. Make sure kids and pets can't get at it. The mice will go to the nest and die there. After a month or so the incursions should diminish to almost nothing. The old saw, "I smell a rat" is based on that approach to pest control. Nothing like the distinctive odor or road kill wafting around adding romantic ambience to a night in the dome, under the stars!   Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 83 mice.jpg

#3 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:36 AM

Use poison as a last resort though...humane traps are better. You'll end up killing all sorts of wildlife with poison, including anything that eats the dead mice.

• Joe Bergeron, ChancesFate, torsinadoc and 3 others like this

#4 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Otisco lake. Marietta NY 13110

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:57 AM

SEE THE THREAD ... HOW TO PREVENT DAMAGE FROM MICE....    a few lines down........

they come in during the fall, and leave in the spring, .. 

Stevegeo. 

• Rydeen 98 likes this

#5 Rydeen 98

Rydeen 98

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:05 AM

I stopped using warfarin based poison a long time ago. I know that stuff is transferable to other beneficial animals that eat the mice. I stopped using it after my dog was playing with a dead rat and I thought I poisoned her. She got sick and I had to take her to the vet for it and everything.

Edited by Rydeen 98, 14 August 2020 - 08:07 AM.

• Joe Bergeron, ChancesFate and DSOGabe like this

#6 Ron in Michigan

Ron in Michigan

Ranger 4

• Loc: W. Michigan

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:27 PM

mine is REALLY in the wild - never had anything but a tree frog in there.   NO FOOD inside is a good idea. 

• ChancesFate and JMKarian like this

#7 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:30 PM

I'm wondering how the mice got into the OP's storage case. Was it open for an extended period? I keep some stuff on the back patio, but make sure my cases are closed up in case something tries to get in.

• ChancesFate likes this

#8 Greg Mueller

Greg Mueller

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Datil. NM

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:23 AM

Keep rodents out?

Impossible.

If you live in a very arid climate rodents are always looking for water.

I have found that a 5 gallon bucket (or even smaller) half full of water (optimist) is an excellent trap.

You can lean a stick up against it to act as a ladder, but trust me, they can easily jump that high.

They go up the ladder and jump in to get a drink and can't get out.

We use a pasta strainer to fish them out of the bucket and take them out to a specific spot. That trains the ravens to know where there is a food supply.

The problem with poison is the rodents will go to a place to hide and die. Sometimes this is a place that humans can't get to, then you have stink.

The other problem is that if anything eats the poisoned rodent they get poisoned too.

You'll get a bunch of them at first and also in the fall when it starts to get cold out and they decide to come indoors.

• brave_ulysses and Scott123 like this

#9 vsteblina

vsteblina

Vanguard

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:04 PM

The other problem is that if anything eats the poisoned rodent they get poisoned too.

My dog has probably been poisoned a couple of times, but he was a big dog and survived.

My friends three German Shorthairs came out of "intensive" care at Washington State University Vet School and still show the effects.

Don't use poisons.

• ChancesFate likes this

#10 JTank70

JTank70

Explorer 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:40 PM

After finding a nest the mice built in my Skyshed Pod, I pick up a battery powered ultrasonic rodent repeller on amazon.  So far, so good.

https://www.amazon.c...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by JTank70, 21 October 2020 - 07:40 PM.

#11 JMKarian

JMKarian

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northwest Pennsylvania

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:00 PM

Was away from my POD for about 2 weeks - 2 years ago.  When I returned home, I fired up the mount and it went crazy - Lo and behold, a field mouse had started a family, and had chewed and short circuited the RA and DEC cables.   Took a while to clean out the mess, and once a new cable was purchased, worked fine.   I did not ‘dispatch’ the mouse - simply grabbed it with some large forceps, and flung it into the woods.  Only thing worse was the summer I entered the darkened POD with my dim red headlight, and instinctively reached into a bay to plug in the mount when I grabbed a black snake, which must have entered through the warped hatch. 

Attached Thumbnails

• F7D6E810-2AA5-42F5-BBA4-B7C950534290.jpeg
  • AC90AD7D-2E8C-4C70-84F7-0B9305DC434C.jpeg
  • 58E15877-5BBA-4C59-B662-2660CF52005A.jpeg
  • F4C43C14-17A4-477B-A210-87A2645E3345.jpeg

• happylimpet likes this

#12 Dynan

Dynan

Aurora

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:44 PM

If entry ways aren't too large, stuff them tightly with stainless steel wool. Works like a charm.

• Ron in Michigan, brave_ulysses and ChancesFate like this

#13 Benschop

Benschop

Sputnik

• Loc: Eastern Ontario

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:01 PM

I use simple traps with peanut butter as bait, in my boat. Can't imagine a POD would be much different. Usually whack around 5 as the weather gets cold... then the trap remains set and no more come until spring, when it repeats. If you have a bird feeder anywhere near your observatory - get rid of it, that's a big draw for mice to the area. 

• Ron in Michigan and Greg Mueller like this

#14 Rydeen 98

Rydeen 98

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:00 AM

Hi all. I ended up trying a solution that I read about that said to put up some of those Little Trees air freshener, specifically the black ice scent (smells like underarm deodorant 😆). I stuck three of them in my dome and in the storage bins and haven't seen another mouse since. They lose their scent pretty quickly but are cheap anyway. Who knows if they made the difference. I'll continue using them until I see another mouse lol.

#15 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Otisco lake. Marietta NY 13110

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:24 AM

Yes I have mentioned this before about the tree air freshener. Black ice new car works best . stevegeo

#16 bob b

bob b

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: upstate NY

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:51 AM

a Bag of Moth Balls --

• JMKarian and Dynan like this

#17 glatiak

glatiak

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: 44 38' 24" N, 76 19' 12" W, Amherst Island, ON

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:39 PM

I have tried to keep field mice from getting into my raised Skyshed POD but to no avail. I have plugged all the holes I could find, had a flexible membrane blocking the pier hole in the floor, all cables are either in conduit or some sort of sheath -- either the plastic auto cable covers or a woven polyester. The closed cases are not a problem -- but storage drawers are. What I ended up doing is fabricating a close fitting drawer cover, hinged at the rear, that sealed each drawer. A bit of a pain but has proved to be very effective.

No snakes here in eastern Ontario that invade the dome, but spiders are a major headache. I keep my OTAs plugged when not in use... but it is sadly not unusual to open up for a nights imaging and discovering that some (*expletives deleted*) spider has built an extensive web inside the tube of my RC.

With regards to the ultrasonic mouse shields -- had them and found them ineffective. We have a cat now... he leaves the bodies (well, most of them) at the foot of the stairs. But I don't let him in my dome...

greg latiak 

• MHamburg and ChancesFate like this

#18 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 23 October 2020 - 04:08 PM

The Pods must be more "open" than ExploraDomes.  I've never had anything get in my ExploraDome bigger than a wasp in 11 years.   I have the round building kit with a doubled treated plywood floor on a treated 2x6 frame.  It sits about a foot off the ground on concrete blocks with adjusters.  The pier hole is sealed with a 1/4 inch thick rubber ring about two inches wide, stretched over the round concrete pier.  The round metal building is closed around the bottom and top with the ordinary foam closure strips.  The metal door in an aluminium frame has normal exterior door weatherstripping.  Why can't the Pod be sealed in the same manner?  

Edited by John Fitzgerald, 23 October 2020 - 04:09 PM.

#19 ChancesFate

ChancesFate

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hobbs nm

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:11 PM

Yuck.    All I have had was some scorpions and black widows.    Cedarcide spray took care of it.   Safe for people pets, inside. Be careful with plants indoor one is not good for them but the outside version is safe.    I use it on me and my cats and dogs.

#20 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:21 PM

Hi all. I ended up trying a solution that I read about that said to put up some of those Little Trees air freshener, specifically the black ice scent (smells like underarm deodorant ). I stuck three of them in my dome and in the storage bins and haven't seen another mouse since. They lose their scent pretty quickly but are cheap anyway. Who knows if they made the difference. I'll continue using them until I see another mouse lol.

I had no idea that would work. Very interesting.

#21 Rydeen 98

Rydeen 98

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:29 PM

I had no idea that would work. Very interesting.

It could just be happenstance but I haven't seen a mouse since.  I had also never had a mouse in there prior to the two I mentioned in the original post.  They were definitely in there to nest, not feed as they chewed up my foam packing material.  I never keep food in there and would only have a sealed bottled water in there at most.  So "maybe" these air fresheners are doing the trick.  Can't say for sure.

#22 Ron in Michigan

Ron in Michigan

Ranger 4

• Loc: W. Michigan

Posted 30 October 2020 - 11:15 AM

WOW better safe than sorry I will put some deterrents in there. 

Was away from my POD for about 2 weeks - 2 years ago.  When I returned home, I fired up the mount and it went crazy - Lo and behold, a field mouse had started a family, and had chewed and short circuited the RA and DEC cables.   Took a while to clean out the mess, and once a new cable was purchased, worked fine.   I did not ‘dispatch’ the mouse - simply grabbed it with some large forceps, and flung it into the woods.  Only thing worse was the summer I entered the darkened POD with my dim red headlight, and instinctively reached into a bay to plug in the mount when I grabbed a black snake, which must have entered through the warped hatch. 

#23 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 30 October 2020 - 11:36 AM

Those pods must not seal up well against mice.  I would put in a better door.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics