•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dove Tail plate

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nzch

nzch

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:30 AM

Hi All,

Stupid question i know ha.

What are the slots on the dove plate for? Will these fit 90mm Tube rings somehow? I don't think the William optics 90mm rings have the correct spacing for the threaded holes.

I'm tying to make the two work (see images).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jake

Attached Thumbnails

• img_3257.png
  • 51P1vHgd9HL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:46 AM

Some manufacturers of Tube Rings have a single screw that attaches to the dovetail plate, like this 90mm Orion Tube Ring set.   smile.gif

#3 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 14 August 2020 - 10:45 AM

You can't thread a bolt through the dovetail AND into the rings. The threads would not be aligned right.

You put two bolts through two holes at one end of the dovetail and into a ring.  Then (typically, depending on your scope) at the other end of the dovetail you put two bolts through 2 slots in the dovetail and into the other ring.  Having one ring mounted on a slot lets you adjust the ring spacing.

That is an unusually thick dovetail you have shown. What is with that?

Edited by t-ara-fan, 14 August 2020 - 10:46 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics