•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars and the moon

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Frisky

Frisky

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, Minnesota

Posted 14 August 2020 - 04:20 AM

I went out tonight, just after 2AM and saw quite a view! The crescent moon was low in the NE sky, while Mars was fairly high in the SE sky. I decided to take my scope back outside and view them. The moon was terrific, at 250X, and I sketched one region of interest. I then swung over to Mars, and it's about 88% illuminated. I saw some extremely faint detail. It should get better, as we head toward fall, if we don't get a dust storm like in 2018. That time, I got a detailed look at it for 1 night. Went out the next night and it was a featureless, peach ball. Anyway, if you didn't get a view of Mars and the moon tonight, you missed a good one!

Joe

• SabiaJD, ascii and jiblet65 like this

#2 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5ºN,81.5ºW

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:38 AM

I went out to get the newspaper from the driveway in the morning twilight.  Venus, the Moon, Capella, and Mars made a nice addition to my morning routine.  It was a bit late to get a scope out.  I would also have had to spend time preheating it with a hair dryer to avoid instant heavy condensation.  The high dew points we have in Orlando this time of year are a beast.  I can't even see out my windows for all of the condensation.

• Frisky likes this

#3 spereira

spereira

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:33 AM

Moving to Solar System Observing ...

smp

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics