•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars (08-09-20)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The_8_Bit_Zombie

The_8_Bit_Zombie

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:45 AM

Going through some of my backlogged data - been a lot of clear nights here lately! I can't decide on the processing for this one, so I figured I'd ask you all. The one on the left was sharpened using dyadic wavelets, and the one on the right was sharpened normally. I'm torn on which one I like better - the dyadic sharpening brought out some more detail but it also seems a bit over-processed to me. Perhaps somewhere between the two? Opinions welcome!

Lif3yaA.png

I also tried Kokatha Man's process to reduce the rind around the edge - worked quite well!

• Deven Matlick, eros312, Billytk and 6 others like this

#2 The_8_Bit_Zombie

The_8_Bit_Zombie

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:48 AM

Also I can't quite pin down why but something about both images seems a bit...blurry (?) to me. Curious if anyone else sees this. Maybe I've just been staring at it for too long lol.gif

#3 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:29 AM

The first one look great to me, the second one does not look out of focus to me, but like it's hazy...very nice images!!

• The_8_Bit_Zombie likes this

#4 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:42 AM

They're both very good, but I agree - something between the two might be best.  They don't look blurry, but they are quite dark.  Perhaps stretch the histogram a bit in Registax (or the levels in Photoshop).

#5 Cpk133

Cpk133

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 14 August 2020 - 10:40 AM

The one on the right is more natural looking, maybe 1/4 towards the left smile.gif

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:51 PM

Nice images again Zombie! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif  I think they are fine btw...when you get uber-crisp fine details etc, you probably should've bought a lottery ticket instead of gone out imaging! ;)

#7 The_8_Bit_Zombie

The_8_Bit_Zombie

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2020 - 05:23 AM

Thanks for the replies and opinions everyone!

Here's a middle ground version, a blend between the two:

zT4DzPR.png

And here's a blend that leans more towards the less sharpened side:

I1I6IEv.png

I brightened them both up as well - thanks for the tip KiwiRay! Didn't notice they were a bit dark.

Nice images again Zombie! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif  I think they are fine btw...when you get uber-crisp fine details etc, you probably should've bought a lottery ticket instead of gone out imaging! wink.gif

Thanks. Still hoping for an uber-crisp fine detail day! Though this may be the best I can do, at least with Mars' current apparent size. The seeing was quite excellent last week so I'm not sure if I can pull out much more detail than this. I feel like it should be possible to bring out some more detail with a C11 though

• KiwiRay likes this

#8 troyt

troyt

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:29 AM

Good images waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics