•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars through C9.25, 2020-04-14 17:41 UT

astrophotography Celestron planet
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Visit-the-Moon

Visit-the-Moon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:27 PM

A spell of reasonable seeing early morning, though the dew was pretty heavy, gave a good view of Hellas, Syrtis Major & the Southern Polar cap. The detail will be awesome at opposition.

CPC 9.25, f/16, Astronomik filters 2c, ASI290MM, FireCapture  (R: 2.3ms, G=53%, 287 FPS, ~13k frames; G: 3.0ms, G=55%, 287 FPS, ~13k frames; B: 3.1ms, G=68%, 287 FPS, ~13k frames). Processed AS!3 40% Resample x2, Registax 6, Astra Image

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020-08-14-1741_RGB-2_Mars_AS_P40_l4_ap7_Resample20.jpg

• Sunspot, jim kuhns, Pete Gorczynski and 14 others like this

#2 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:35 PM

Excellent image - was this from this morning in Melbourne? My weather apps told me that it was poor viewing, cloud cover etc, don't bother foreheadslap.gif . I've been trying to get a good image of Mars for a while now, you have grabbed a great one there, well done.

Andrew

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:40 PM

Very nice outcome! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif Over here in South Oz we were set up but a small pocket of rain dumped nearly 5mm of rain in about half an hour while we were asleep...woke up during the rain & had to provide some more cover even though I has a large "water-proofed" sun umbrella protecting the scope etc. Pity, the other conditions looked promising - & you obviously had some decent seeing! :)

#4 Visit-the-Moon

Visit-the-Moon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:44 PM

Thx Andrew, yes Melbourne, went out between 3:30-4:30am. It was clear. Steady for maybe 30 min. Ran off three RGB captures, this was the first one. As you know the weather changes so quickly here, I use the look out-the-window technique smile.gif . Nine-times out of ten its no good. My gear is in a roll off observatory so all equilibrated & up & running within 3 minutes so I can capture these brief moments if I notice them. The only thing I carry outside is a gamer laptop. - Andrew

• Tulloch likes this

#5 Visit-the-Moon

Visit-the-Moon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:51 PM

Kokatha, there have been many times I've looked out early morning (when I do most of my imaging) & by the time I've put on my "astronomy clothes" (including snow boots - I hate cold feet) & just opening up the observatory, the clouds roll in or it suddenly becomes misty or the stars start twinkling. It is hit & miss!

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:54 PM

<"It is hit & miss!">

After so many years I think we've got that one down bro..! :lol:

• Visit-the-Moon likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, Celestron, planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics