•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can you track and image off a single cam

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fastfiveoh

fastfiveoh

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:45 PM

Hey Guys,

Again getting super impatient with the backorders.  My mount is here Monday along with my ASI120mm.  However, my Scope and a few other doo dads are still on backorder.  So for the sake of practicing, is is possible to use PHD2/SharpCap or NINA to do polar alignment, guiding and imagine from the ASI120mm with 60mm scoope?  This is purely just to practice the hardware/software but maybe snag an image here and there.

Thanks,

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:50 PM

You can do PA and you can either image or guide. You need two cameras to guide that mount. You may want to search around here for a thread about this where a guy in Las Vegas was taking very short images and using them for both purposes, but the general answer is guide or image. Maybe you have a DSLR you could use while you wait for your main camera. Bear in mind that with excellent PA, you can probably get 2 minute unguided exposures through your guide scope. 

Rgrds-Ross

• fastfiveoh likes this

#3 fastfiveoh

fastfiveoh

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:53 PM

You can do PA and you can either image or guide. You need two cameras to guide that mount. You may want to search around here for a thread about this where a guy in Las Vegas was taking very short images and using them for both purposes, but the general answer is guide or image. Maybe you have a DSLR you could use while you wait for your main camera. Bear in mind that with excellent PA, you can probably get 2 minute unguided exposures through your guide scope. 

Rgrds-Ross

Ya I might just go for unguided to learn polar alignment.  I need to be able to do it with and without Polaris in the mix, and want to learn plate solving and all that.  My 300mm Canon lens is at Canon right now so I am stuck with ultra wide and short focal lengths.  Man 2020 is the pits.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics