•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How Do You Polar Align When You Just Have IOptron's IPolar (no regular polar scope)?

mount
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 power2be

power2be

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:21 PM

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I only have so much time to search the forums.

I am a newbie with my IOptron GEM45. Went to a dark site last night to set it up for the first time. I roughly aimed the tripod North at Polaris and leveled it. After I loaded and balanced the equipment on the tripod/mount, I attempted to run iPolar software and it seemed to be running fine. I did struggle to find a proper USB cable the night before since the original one didn't work (no camera detected message) before finally finding one that worked...uggh!..these cables lit up bright blue at their ends in the dark and had no tape to cover them with when the time came to use them.

I was trying to move the Alt/Az screws/adjustment wheel to line up the red star with the red cross. No luck because I ran out of adjustment movement to align the symbols together. Not to mention my fingers were hurting from using the adjuster and allen wrench. 

Looking back, setting up the QHY Polemaster on the Skywatcher EQ6R-Pro was a breeze because it had a built in polar scope you can place Polaris in the scope. Then I used the Polemaster to get to the NCP. I almost regret selling the mount because it was so easy to use. I miss the big adjustment knobs too! It was just to darn heavy to be bringing out to the dark site.

My question is this. How can I get the mount to get roughly polar aligned so that IPolar camera can get within the field of view for the polar alignment to work? What do you IPolar camera with no built-in polar scope users do? 

I appreciate all comments and suggestions!

#2 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:25 PM

Of course, when you run out of adjustment range, you can simply pick up the tripod, turn it a couple of degrees in the needed direction, and proceed.

The way I get started is that I find Polaris in the sky and point the RA axis at it.

A compass that corrects for magnetic deviation will help, but don't point straight at magnetic north, which is often quite a way away from true north.

• Dynan and limeyx like this

#3 nyairman

nyairman

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: new york

Posted 15 August 2020 - 11:57 AM

Agree with Michael. I image at the same location on my property but when I first began using ipolar, I had the same problem at first. I removed the scope from mount and physically moved the tripod and mount a few inches to line up with Polaris.

That's really all it should take to get Polaris centered in the ipolar fov.

#4 power2be

power2be

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2020 - 03:17 PM

I did try to do that later but I was so fixed on getting a perfect level of the mount in beginning that I didn't want to mess up the setup using a big bubble level I had used.  Then I had thought later on after I left of possibly using the finder scope to get to Polaris too. Working in the humidity/dew near a corn field is a big turnoff for me as everything was drenched, did some visual and left.

Thanks for the tip guys.

#5 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 15 August 2020 - 03:39 PM

Leveling is not necessary.  Polar alignment means pointing the polar axis toward the pole.  Whether anything below that axis is level is unimportant because nothing below the polar axis moves when the telescope is in use.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics