•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Want to pick up used device for synscan pro application

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CN_102NE

CN_102NE

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2020 - 12:07 AM

Hello,

I'd like to have a device dedicated to the synscan pro application for controlling my mount. 

I will be looking on Ebay for a used device.

Would anyone be willing to share what device you are successfully using with synscan pro?

That would be a great resource - since I'd have an assurance there should be no unforseen problems with that device.

Sincere thanks in advance

dw

Edited by CN_102NE, 15 August 2020 - 12:08 AM.

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:39 AM

I have a Nexus 7, Android, old, now very old.

Android is I gather the best/easiest, you can run another application like Skysafari at the same time. I guess the one pushed to the background still runs so you have the (say) Synscan and Skysafari running together which you need. The iOS units seem to run one or the other but not both.

You need WiFi, GPS, Compass and Accelerometer on the device. Data gets fed from tablet/phone to mount.

Next aspect is that you need a good battery on whatever. They have to remain running, the screen likely therefore has to remain on and you could be out there for a few hours. Also remember that if you are using the system and even if at home you leave the tablet/phone with the mount if you head in for coffee, biscuits, comfort. The wifi connection has to be maintained, otherwise you do the realignment all over again.

If a phone would do then I bought a Xaiomi Redme7 phone. Nice size, good display and inexpensive - think mine was $64 at the time. However I use the Nexus for mount control as it is bigger and I prefer the tablet for the mount and the phone for phone use. But a Redme7 dedicated to a mount and nothing else would not be a bad idea. Just dig out the specification regards memory and battery.

#3 CN_102NE

CN_102NE

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2020 - 03:28 PM

Thank you Cosmos!

Here is a used Nexus 7, Android on Ebay.

This one comes with 8 gig in storage - which I would think is fine.

And the rest of the parameters I should think are common to every Nexus 7

Does this appear to be the same model as you have?

https://www.ebay.com...5afe4dfc18e1e9d

#4 CN_102NE

CN_102NE

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2020 - 04:14 PM

Hey Cosmos

There is a youtube video made by Orion - in which they demo the SynScan Pro app.

And he does an alignment.

And on the video it shows the display of the app - showing 4 alignment options

1-Star Alignment
Brightest Star Alignment
North-Level Alignment
3-Star Alignment

The one he chooses is the North-Level Alignment

I wanted to try that alignment today - but discovered my Synscan Pro app doesn't have it.

But my Synscan pro app doesn't have that option.

My version is 1.17.0

I wondering if its because at connection to the mount, the software recognizes the mount as an EQ mount and does not provide that option?

Does your Synscan Pro ap provide the North-Level Alignment option?

#5 johnpd

johnpd

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Green Valley, AZ

Posted 15 August 2020 - 04:53 PM

I can use either my iPad Mini or my iPhone, but I prefer the Mini since it has a little bigger screen.

North-Level alignment is the two-star alignment option for Alt-Az mounts where you initially point the scope north (0 degrees Az) and have it level (0 degrees Alt). So if you initially set the app to Equatorial mode when you start it, you will not see the North/Level alignment option. I don't know if the app knows what mode your scope is set. I have an AZ-EQ6 which can go either way.

I also use Luminos to run the scope once I have it aligned. Be aware that you need to set the Synscan Pro app to not let the device sleep otherwise tracking pauses at least that is what I encountered with my iPad.

The only thing I don't like about the app is the alignment star screen. The font being used is tiny and it is difficult for these old eyes to read.

JohnD

#6 CN_102NE

CN_102NE

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2020 - 05:43 PM

Thank you John,

I'll check to see where the tracking option is - to prevent the app from going into sleep mode.

Thank you for mentioning that!

You mentioned that you use Luminous to run the scope once it is aligned.
What is Luminous?

#7 CN_102NE

CN_102NE

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2020 - 06:58 PM

I just did a google search for Luminous and found it.

Its called an Astronomy Companion app - and from I understand - its for doing object tours.

Are you able to join this with SynScan Pro - by selecting it as a 3rd party application from within SynScan Pro?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics