•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturn's spokes - reflector

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 k.s.min

k.s.min

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:30 AM

This  summer  in  my  location  ( South  Korea)  with  a  lifetime  long  Monsoon  comming & make  me  hard , 50-60days contininuously  rainning  with  hummiditymeter  indicating  80-90% moisture  everyday...destroying  cloths, papers,woods,irons.....

l  see  some  someones's  experiences  on  the  web  the  Saturn's  many  type  spokes....with  refractors,  but  not  with  reflectors.

Are  there  anyone  who  saw  spoke  with  reflectors ?  (...........or  with  catadiopptrics)

l  have  another  question

My  telescope  is  not  a  pure  refracor.....it  has  a  big  18" mirror (out  of  the  optical  tube),  and  then  this  is  a   [ refl-refractor ]? 

l  don't  know  how  this  combined  optical  train  act  mostly........catadiopptric?

However  l  see spokes  almost  every  good  seeing  session  with  this  one.

==========================================

atlasm20200815_145107.jpg

• payner, Astrojensen and mikeDnight like this

#2 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Wild Wild West - North West England

Posted 15 August 2020 - 06:10 AM

I'm pretty confident that reflectors are equally as capable of showing the dusky spokes on Saturn's rings as refractors. If a well figured reflector is thermally stable it can reveal everything a refractor can with regard to planetary detail, so I can't think of a reason why the spokes would be any different. 

#3 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 15 August 2020 - 03:32 PM

Absolutely!  Back in 1990 or 1991 at Stellafane I saw them vary clearly with a 12.5” f6 dobsonian that tied for the optical competition that year. 

I also have some recollections with a friend’s 15” Techron and also a Lightspeed 12.5”

Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics