•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

William Optics Rotolock visual back -- won't unlock.

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Poe

Poe

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:15 PM

Anybody got a better idea? confused1.gif

Hey there friends, I hamfisted my William Optics rotolock down too tight in a panic after a kiddo tried to use the diagonal as the top rung of the stepladder. Yes, a C-14 on a CGE Pro is tall, but they are not jungle-gyms kids!

I didn't realize that it was the tiny set screw (1.5mm allen) at the joint came not full tightened, so what was actually spinning was not the diagonal in the lock the but join on the visual back itself. Anyway, like a dummy, I over-tightened the rotolock mechanism around the diagonal instead. Somehow I managed to get the diagonal back out, but I still can't get the Rotolock to release, even when using all the extra force of having 2 guys, turn soft-mouth clamps in the opposite direction!

I also pulled out the allen set screw on the top of the gold colored ring (you can see it there perched on the end of the allen wrench) and found a spring and a ball bearing underneath. Regardless of having that in or out of the device, or even at different tightness, I still can get the lock to release under an amazing amount of force -- the amount of force you would expect would break pretty much anything made of aluminum.

So, I'm curious if anybody has made this mistake and figure out how to fix it?

In the meantime I might try the Baader clicklock visual back, but I do like color of the William's Optics rotolock as it's pretty close the Celestron orange that I love so much.

Attached Thumbnails

• rotolock stuck.jpg
  • rotolock stuck2.jpg

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:30 PM

OK, since you asked, how about this:

Place it in the freezer for 1 hour then take it out and then direct heat from a hair dryer to the gold color ring?

• Poe likes this

#3 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:31 PM

Or get some PB Blaster from Home Depot and soak it*...

* = probably will stink to high heaven after doing this...confused1.gif

Edited by Xeroid, 15 August 2020 - 02:48 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics