•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DIY Travel Case for Nexstar 8 & Evolution Mount

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DDegenhardt

DDegenhardt

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:54 PM

First post! 

I recently bought the Nexstar 8 Evolution, very happy with the purchase (although now finding myself wanting to do astrophotography...classic beginner move as I've come to learn lurking in these forums). However, I was getting tired lugging it around in boxes and I didn't want to pay a lot for a case. Instead, I bought a 30" hardshell suitcase, ripped out the innards, and cut up the shipping styrofoam to fit. Added a little bit of upholstery foam for extra protection, too. Total for the case and foam came in at around $90. Now I can take the scope, mount, and folding chair out in a single trip!

I'm looking forward to many years of astronomy with this setup!

***Well turns out I have no idea how to attach photos

****Fixed

Attached Thumbnails

• Nexstar Case.jpg

Edited by DDegenhardt, 15 August 2020 - 02:59 PM.

• Dave Mitsky, Oyster74, RobFresnoCA and 2 others like this

#2 Clippy

Clippy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 August 2022 - 09:19 PM

Awesome! I too had thought of doing pretty much that, but I was concerned about strength so I bought a hard case and foam from eBay and made a tough case for my telescope. It works great! Sadly it can't hold my nexstar mount or tripod, so I kinda regret not going down the 'suitcase' route. I'm considering getting a duffel type bag for the tripod, but that still doesn't cover the mount, and I don't want to have to lug around two hard cases and a bag, so that's something to figure out.

Full case

#3 rrpallechio

rrpallechio

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tumwater, WA, USA

Posted 06 August 2022 - 02:32 AM

Sadly, I didn't keep the packing foam. That suitcase is a great idea.

#4 bladerunner6

bladerunner6

Explorer 1

• Loc: Holland, Mi

Posted 06 August 2022 - 08:11 AM

I wonder if I could fit a 6SE, the tripod and eyepieces in a single suitcase? I will have to measure it and see.

Thanks for the awesome suggestion.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics