•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Portable POWER and compromises... a 30X70

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 03:26 PM

It's my understanding that the Trawler Captain uses 30X70 binoculars to identify every individual Herring before ordering the deck hands to capture it with a dip net.

So they must be very high quality I say, say.

Proud to associate with you all!

You guys are a scream.

In my days as a commercial fisherman, we inspected the fish ultrasonically from a distance and then if they seemed suitable, we lowered a line with somewhere between 50 and 100 baited hooks.

At the bottom of the line, was a note kindly informing the fish that they had been rated as number 1 quality and asked them to please bite the hook. We did this even for number 2 quality fish as we figured that would prop up their egos and they'd feel better about themselves.

This wasn't the most successful technique. I went on to other things. My partner had more brains and persistence and spent his life on wandering the Pacific Ocean from Alaska to New Zealand.

I did ask him about binoculars and he said that he'd tried the 30x70 Selsi's as well as the 30x80 Helios and found them both to be 30.75x and that was just too much magnification. Had they been 29.8x, they would have been acceptable.

Lacking 29.8x binos, he said he much preferred having an airplane spot the fish.

This story is more or less true with certain liberties taken to make it applicable to this thread.

These days his boat sets a line of hooks about 50 miles long.

07391.jpg

Jon

• KennyJ, hallelujah and WALL.E like this

#27 Mike G.

Mike G.

Vanguard

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:11 PM

Eric,

Whilst I've long considered a 20x80 perfectly adequate for haddock, for Herring, I think 30x is too low to reveal the all important details of whether or not one is worth catching.

Size estimation is also imperative from a distance, as some of them are too big to fit into those tins.

For those reasons, I would always recommend a Fujinon 40x150 for herring, especially now all the schools are back.

Any smaller an exit - pupil can lead to major disappointment at dusk or dawn.

The long discontinued Tasco Trout 6 x 50 was a great glass for riverside fishing at dusk, and back in the 1950s.,seldom were local anglers in Lancashire spotted without a venerable Canon Carp 5.5 x 35.5 poking out of one top pocket of their khaki gilets, with a 20 packet of senior service sticking out of the other.

Kenny

OMG!  All these years I thought mentions of the 6x50 Tasco were just rumors and half-truths!  now I know they're real.  Now I have to have one!!

• WALL.E likes this

#28 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 21 October 2020 - 02:23 AM

attachicon.gif003_opt(5).jpg

Hi Wall.E

Nice... very nice cabinet....  it deserves a thread: "show us your bino cabinet/vitrine" !

With your permission, I will show your cabinet to my family to justify that what i have is far to be enough grin.gif 

Clear skies and dust free bino cabinets!laugh.gif

Carlos 

• WALL.E likes this

#29 WALL.E

WALL.E

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Grand Rapids Mi.

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:13 AM

My dear associates,

I stand before the CN Tribunal humbly, with awe and appreciation.

We not only share a common interest, exchange information and viewpoints, we can also have some FUN here and express a little personal "humanity" at times.

My respect for all of you in this "virtual" community is greatly magnified by the civility, passion, honesty, and good information demonstrated at all levels of interest.

This is obviously totally off topic, I'm just seizing this moment to say what I feel.

Nearer "topic";

Carlos, of course you may show "the cabinet" as you see fit!

The "cabinet" in itself is very, very dear to me.

It is one of the relics I claimed from my Sainted Grandmother's estate when she died at 99 years old.

The CABINET came to my Grandparents when they were young, second hand from the Rutherford family (no relation) in New York State.

The best estimated age of origin is from 1880-1890. (Possibly older, but can not substantiate further).

It was a fixture in the expansive dining room of my Grandparents Victorian home for 63 years.

There were other heavy pieces which would not possibly fit in my home.

It once contained fine china, now, well you can see, "Part" of my accumulation.

But amazingly, hardly a particle of dust is able to enter!!!

Kenny, I don't know where the Cherry Wood for the cabinet was harvested from, I'm leaning towards Sherwood Forest.

I haven't had it carbon dated yet.

But if you reverse the 30X70 and use it as a magnifier, you can see deeper into the grain.

Strength and Honor,

Eric

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#30 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:01 AM

Kenny, I don't know where the Cherry Wood for the cabinet was harvested from, I'm leaning towards Sherwood Forest.

I haven't had it carbon dated yet.

But if you reverse the 30X70 and use it as a magnifier, you can see deeper into the grain.

Eric:

I'm skeptical, Sherwood Forest doesn't make sense, too far away.

I'm thinking another legend.  I don't know about Grand Rapids but I do know that Door County, Wisconsin, not far away, is famous for its cherries.  I'm thinking the Great Paul Bunyon stopped by, cut down a cherry tree just for your case.

Now that does make sense.. :)

Jon

• WALL.E likes this

#31 dries1

dries1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Northwest Delaware

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:37 AM

That was a great thread, proving once again I learn something new each day.

Andy W.

• Jon Isaacs and WALL.E like this

#32 ov1vas

ov1vas

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Country: Venezuela - City: Caracas

Posted 12 November 2020 - 04:40 PM

Hello everyone, my best wishes that you are in good health.

I love using my binoculars for daytime long-distance terrestrial views, (I'm not a fan of astronomy) I have a Celestron 15x70 but I feel like I still want more scope power.

I am interested in buying a used 30x70 binocular, my use would mainly be to visualize landscapes, mountains, the city with daylight, I live in a tropical country, so there is excellent weather with sun and blue skies throughout the year.

My question for this forum, for people with experience using a 30x70, would you recommend this binocular?:
UNISCOPE 30x70 Field 2 * (Made in Japan between the year 1958 - 1963)

https://articulo.mer...e4-a97b71a25e16

I feel that there would not be a great improvement in long distance observation in daylight, seeing from 15x70 to buy a 20x80, so I would like to buy a 30x70. What do you think?

As I already mentioned, the use would be during the day, to see mountains, meadows and the city from a long distance.

I already have a good tripod and a metal tripod adapter.

Thank you in advance for any recommendation
Oscar.

Edited by ov1vas, 12 November 2020 - 04:43 PM.

#33 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 12 November 2020 - 06:03 PM

ov1vas,

You might? do better with something brand new.

https://www.barska.c...raced-in-tripod

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,192&sr=8-3

I've owned a Barska 30x80 X-Trail since 12-2006.

I have had a lot of fun with it for daytime use.

There is also 25x70.

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,195&sr=8-3

Where do you live?

Stan

Edited by hallelujah, 12 November 2020 - 07:00 PM.

• WALL.E likes this

#34 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 12 November 2020 - 06:18 PM

Dear Oscar,

Speaking as one of few frequenting this forum who absolutely shares your favourite use of binoculars, I feel I ought to be able to advise you with far more encouragement than I can.

I've never even heard of a Uniscope 30x70 binocular, let alone looked through one, and I doubt very much if many, if any other members have done either.

A 30x70 combination works very well for spotting scopes in daylight, but the reasons I've never personally enjoyed looking through 30x binoculars is because the very few I've looked through were not truly collimated, had barely any eye-relief, which made the true field of view appear closer to 1.5 degrees than 2 degrees, presented "dull" images with the only memorable "brighter points" being results of excessive chromatic aberration and were frustratingly difficult, if not impossible to obtain "perfect / snapped focus" with.

I agree that any "gains" to be enjoyed between a 15x70 and 20x80 ( of equal optical quality ) is probably sufficently tempered by the narrower true field of view ( typically reduced from around 4 degrees to 3 degrees ) that more of the pleasure of viewing "landscapes" is lost than is generally recognised or reported.

Reducing that further to 2 degrees is a compromise easily underestimated.

That, I suppose, is the main reason why even when I had my ( straight through ) 85mm Zeiss Diascope with 20 - 60x magnification capability, I tended to end up spending around 80% of my viewing time with the magnification set at 20x, and even then, always felt a distinct "sigh of relief" when reverting back to looking at the same view through 10x42 or even 7x50 binoculars.

Kenny

• WALL.E likes this

#35 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

Posted 12 November 2020 - 06:50 PM

I've never even heard of a Uniscope 30x70 binocular, let alone looked through one, and I doubt very much if many, if any other members have done either.

Kenny

Kenny,

Here's a listing from your neck of the woods.

https://www.worthpoi...ptics-463966869

Stan

#36 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 12 November 2020 - 08:15 PM

Terra,

You have been away far too long!

It's all right there waiting for you.

Not much changes up there. At least not very fast.

The entire area is just so rugged and beautiful to behold. So much history there.

Odawa, French, English, and American influences have all left their mark.

European presence beginning in the 1600's

The archeological sites are fascinating.

attachicon.gif059_opt.jpg

The binocular hanging from my neck is an awesome original Celestron Ultima 8X32.

The Whitefish is still the best in the world.

Do you still have the Herter's 8X40?  It was / is a respectable brand.

Eric

Hi Eric, yes I definitely must get back up there. It’s definitely beautiful country worthy of a re-visit. As far as the Herters 8x40 binoculars, unfortunately I lost them during a move around fifteen years ago. I feel bad about that because they were a gift to me from my parents when I first got interested in Astronomy as a teenager. They were very good optical performers. However a year or so ago I had the good fortune to find a pair of Sears Tower 8x40s that seem like they came off the same assembly line. They are identical in look and feel as best I can remember, and they too are quite nice optically as well. As far as high-power binoculars, I have a good old pair of Manon 16x50s and a twenty-five year old pair of Japanese-made (I think Vixen) Orion 20x80s that I enjoy using.

Edited by Terra Nova, 12 November 2020 - 08:19 PM.

• WALL.E likes this

#37 WALL.E

WALL.E

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 13 November 2020 - 11:32 AM

Friend Oscar,

As strange as it may be coming from me, (as I originally posted), I am going to agree with the wise insights of Kenny and the suggestions of Stan 100%.

For me, the 30X70 is exclusively a special purpose binocular. And I received probably a "rare" one that functions properly.

And I was willing to "gamble" the money on the one I purchased.

"Special purpose" even to the point of a certain location.

This being to see funnel markings, flags, and hull names on cargo ships over miles of water.

I wanted something much smaller and lighter than perhaps a 25X100....

This is where the COMPROMISE part of my topic title comes in.

They ARE somewhat difficult to use, even a good one.

You say that you have a tripod and adapter. Are you absolutely certain that the UNISCOPE 30X70 has the mounting thread for the adapter? (I cannot tell from the picture). I do not know this binocular.

This magnification cannot be hand held effectively for any practical purpose. A jittery nightmare.

- Anyone who says they can easily hand hold such an instrument is probably.... An extra terrestrial being, SILLY, or is likely looking through the wrong end of the binocular.

(Special apologies to SMark for claims he made in youthful years). I don't doubt you but, could you do it now?

I get the idea you are looking for leisurely, pleasant views at very distant objects. I think Kenny was keen on that too.

For comfortable viewing you should consider a 20X80, 25X100, maybe a 30X80. (Quality control is suspect here).

You might be surprised that the 20X80 is indeed a step up from 15X70.

And also a nice comfortable view with a decent binocular. You might even be tempted to point it at the night sky sometime!

For what you describe, perhaps even an Orion Short Tube 80 refracting telescope might provide the type of viewing you desire at a very modest price. The tube assembly and extra eyepieces would be less *expensive than a quality binocular and still give you very good quality viewing. And it would mount easily on your tripod.

*I have no idea of how import duties/ taxes would affect things.

I repeat here, do not get too crazy and power hungry with magnification for terrestrial observing.

Again I state, high magnification for viewing things at hundreds of meters, is far different than trying to view things several kilometers distant. Low level atmosphere disturbance at high magnification is not very forgiving to anyone or any instrument no matter how "high quality" it is.

Oscar, I would not recommend the 30X70 for what I think your desires are. Be patient and look around more.

I think there are better options.

(Unless you just want to gamble some $$$ also). I understand that.

Please post back as to what your thoughts or decisions are.

Good will and good luck,

Eric

• KennyJ likes this

#38 WALL.E

WALL.E

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 13 November 2020 - 12:09 PM

Hiya Terra!

Hey, Manon is not to be underestimated.

Manon made some very average binoculars, they also made some really good ones!

I have a splendid Manon 7X50 that more than holds it's own compared to a Fujica Meibo and Nikon of the same vintage.

It's color and clarity are exquisite. I'm tossing in a photo. Some Manon's are very, very good.

Too bad photos can be so harsh with dust and such. This binocular is near mint.

I will usually unscrew the ridiculously deep hard eyecups when I use them, (which is too seldom).

Martin Pond had some good information on the model I have.

004_opt (7).jpg

Enjoy your 16X50's! Are they marked "Deluxe Lens" on both sides of the prism housings?

I wonder if there was ever a 30X70 released under the Manon label?

Is your old Orion 20X80 from the "Megaview" series?

If memory serves, those were some pretty nice binoculars.

Regards,

Eric

#39 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 13 November 2020 - 04:48 PM

First of all, thanks for providing your customary "link" Stan.

Long ago I came to become very suspicious of any post allegedly offered forth by yourself which did NOT include a "link.lol.gif

Alas, the main reason I hadn't seen that ad was probably because I don't have any kind of "auto prompt" linked to my PC that pops up whenever a 30x binocular appears for sale somewhere in the world!

Although I could very easily forgive Eric for thinking otherwise, this is by no means the first time I've ever agreed with him about anything relating to binoculars! lol.gif

The simple truth is that with probably 80% of binoculars boasting 30x magnification, a better quality overall view at the same magnification can be obtained through almost any kind of scope.

The main reason for this is that for binoculars to produce very good images at 30x and more, they need to be perfectly aligned, robust and of a certain optical quality.

Unfortunately, every one I've seen from the sub £200 price bracket have had none of the above properties.

As Eric says, looking at the trees rather than the woods, from 500 yards distance is one thing, but from 5 miles away is a completely different challenge.

But as I did try to explain in my previous offering, I think the simple beauty of a distant scene seen through naked eye, as nature intended, as it were, can in fact be somewhat ruined by attempts to "zoom in".

No matter how good the scope or binoculars, such a scene seen at 100x magnification from 5 miles away never looks anything like (or at least provides the same emotional experience as would) literally standing 100 yards away from the scene, and certainly won't provide as much detail.

What it does do, though, when conditions are favourable, is project a kind of "fantasy world", where objects which in reality may be a mile distant from each other, (one almost directly behind the other in the same general direction in which you are looking) appear much closer to each other, and sometimes I really enjoy the effect that has.

Good luck, Oscar, and keep in touch with us lot here!

Kenny

• hallelujah and WALL.E like this

#40 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

Posted 13 November 2020 - 06:40 PM

First of all, thanks for providing your customary "link" Stan.

Long ago I came to become very suspicious of any post allegedly offered forth by yourself which did NOT include a "link. lol.gif

The simple truth is that with probably 80% of binoculars boasting 30x magnification, a better quality overall view at the same magnification can be obtained through almost any kind of scope.

Kenny

Kenny,

Yeah, BUT, I just hate walking around with a scope, attached to a tripod, hanging around my neck.

Kinda' takes the joy out of daytime viewing. bawling.gif

Stan

https://twitter.com/...610083254558721

• WALL.E likes this

#41 Mike G.

Mike G.

Vanguard

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:54 PM

I think the 20x80 is probably one of the best options for tripod-mounted binocular viewing out there. My APMs obviously outshine the vixens I own but for quick, throw-them-on-a-lightweight-tripod and view option, the 20x80s are in a class by themselves. Perfect in so many ways!  When you want to step up from handheld, the BEST step up is 20x80. 

• WALL.E likes this

#42 ov1vas

ov1vas

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Country: Venezuela - City: Caracas

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:02 PM

Hello everyone,
I am very grateful for all the information that you gave me,
I am very grateful for your time in explaining me in such important details.
According to your important explanations and experiences, I am going to make a change in my search, I will look for a Celestron or Barska 20x80

In my country the market for Binoculars is very marginalized, there is no import, I have to look for second-hand Binoculars but what I have bought have been chosen according to what I read and learned in this wonderful cloudynights web.

I am from Venezuela - Caracas City, the views in my city at this time of year are beautiful, very blue skies and few polluted, with average temperatures of 23 * C

The city is Caracas and the mountain in the background is called "Avila" from all my windows I have panoramic views 364 days a year, this view is the reason for a Binocular with greater power
Thank you so much for your excellent advice and recommendations.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171029_065958.jpg

Edited by ov1vas, 16 November 2020 - 11:07 PM.

#43 WALL.E

WALL.E

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 17 November 2020 - 08:54 AM

Hola Oscar, y de nada!

Your Country is beautiful.

I think you are making a very good decision to look for a 20X80.

You will enjoy the "comfort" of those much, much more than a 30X70.

You certainly have been given good advice by good, honest people.

Of course there are always other options.

What ever you choose, please let us know your experience and feelings.

Eric

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics