•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Image from August 14, stacked, Photoshop curves and color

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chemman

chemman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 17 August 2020 - 11:17 AM

So I have been working my way thorough Marty's excellent tutorial and after a few hours I had to resort to freehanding in Photoshop. 

Got a decent stack of top 50 from 1000 images using Meade SONY IMX178 CMOS Image Sensor sitting on a 2.25x Baader Hyperion.  Top 50 images from Autostakkert 3, simple curve adjustment in photoshop and changed color palette. 

Looks Ok to me.  Kind of like all the detail it revealed.  

https://imgur.com/ShPDghq

ShPDghq.jpg

Edited by chemman, 17 August 2020 - 11:26 AM.

• BYoesle, philmor56, rigel123 and 8 others like this

#2 bigdob24

bigdob24

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 17 August 2020 - 11:27 AM

Looks interesting, lots of detail in there 

#3 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Washington USA

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:34 PM

Hi Chemman. That's a good image, but I think your scope and camera can do much better. If you don't mind I have some observations and suggestions.

Before jumping into colorization, you might want to stick with greyscale to get the details right.

Not sure you're tuned to be exactly on band. Otherwise this might be due excessive processing and too high a contrast - all the subtle detail is missing in the active region. You should be able to capture both disc detail and limb detail. Your limb seems to go to extinction. Even without prominences you should see at least spicules and the like at the limb. I have found the key is to not overexpose your initial capture while keeping gain and gamma to a minimum, and to be judicious with additional contrast enhancement and sharpening:

Chameleon image.jpg

Once you get that down, then you can colorize as much as you want without significant loss of detail:

Chameleon image 2.jpg

These were also made with a double stacked 90 mm scope and a PGR Chameleon (ICX445) using FireCapture and RegiStax6, with additional processing in PaintShop Pro.

• Paul Hyndman, philmor56, chemman and 6 others like this

#4 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 17 August 2020 - 01:08 PM

Looks nice, good suggestions from Bob!  

• chemman likes this

#5 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Viera Florida

Posted 17 August 2020 - 01:44 PM

Very nice effort. I always listen to Bob, Marty and Warren, they are the three wise men! 

• philmor56, chemman, Bob3137 and 1 other like this

#6 chemman

chemman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:35 AM

Hi Chemman. That's a good image, but I think your scope and camera can do much better. If you don't mind I have some observations and suggestions.

Before jumping into colorization, you might want to stick with greyscale to get the details right.

Not sure you're tuned to be exactly on band. Otherwise this might be due excessive processing and too high a contrast - all the subtle detail is missing in the active region. You should be able to capture both disc detail and limb detail. Your limb seems to go to extinction. Even without prominences you should see at least spicules and the like at the limb. I have found the key is to not overexpose your initial capture while keeping gain and gamma to a minimum, and to be judicious with additional contrast enhancement and sharpening:

Once you get that down, then you can colorize as much as you want without significant loss of detail:

These were also made with a double stacked 90 mm scope and a PGR Chameleon (ICX445) using FireCapture and RegiStax6, with additional processing in PaintShop Pro.

This was actually my first image I work through any of the processing that needs to be done.  I got part way through and had spent a number of hours and ended up with worse than I started wit.  lol.  I had essentially resorted to pulling a rabbit out of the hat to get this, extremely minimal but pretty harsh processing.  Now that I am at least slightly familiar with the way to not get to a final image I can go back and try again.  I was quite happy to have something besides the mottled gret image I started with, Lol. 

I will go back to the original stacked image I gave up on and work my through your suggestions Bob.   I am still trying to figure out how to get FireCapture to read the camera the way I want it to.  Dam (literally) Day Job!  Now we have a wildfire 5 miles from my communications site, I need to go have a word with the Forest Service, I will be right back...

• BYoesle likes this

#7 chemman

chemman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2020 - 09:59 AM

So the fire is 3% contained with 195 firefighters and 6,600 acres of mostly beetle kill forest 10 miles to the south-east of me, hopefully the prevailing winds maintain their prevailing direction.  So back to figuring out where to take this stuff. 

So I went back to the original image and tried some of Marty's magic in photoshop.  I started in IMPPG but could not seem to figure out what I was doing so resorted to PS.  Go figure. 

With mostly duplicating, applying varying degrees of level adjustments and such ended up with this.  Any suggestions, kind of don't know where I am headed now. 

Attached Thumbnails

• !.jpg
  • me-test1-end-2.jpg

Edited by chemman, 19 August 2020 - 10:00 AM.

• Great Attractor and torsinadoc like this

#8 Great Attractor

Great Attractor

Vendor - ImPPG Imaging Software

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Poland/Germany

Posted 19 August 2020 - 12:04 PM

Doing fine!

It seems to me the image is slightly off-band (the etalon was not precisely tuned to Hα); you can tell by the fact the mottles (the "furry" detail) are relatively sparse among flat-looking background. When you're on-band, it's furry everywhere. Generally, when tuning the etalon, you're there when the image is the darkest (at least in my single-stack case).

• PhotonJohn likes this

#9 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Viera Florida

Posted 19 August 2020 - 12:21 PM

Doing fine!

It seems to me the image is slightly off-band (the etalon was not precisely tuned to Hα); you can tell by the fact the mottles (the "furry" detail) are relatively sparse among flat-looking background. When you're on-band, it's furry everywhere. Generally, when tuning the etalon, you're there when the image is the darkest (at least in my single-stack case).

G A, can you post one of your (furry) on band captures?

#10 Great Attractor

Great Attractor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 19 August 2020 - 02:12 PM

G A, can you post one of your (furry) on band captures?

Eh, I had just the thing — a time lapse showing the tuning process, but I lost it somewhere. So just a still image:

furry.jpg

• BYoesle, PhotonJohn, hopskipson and 1 other like this

#11 chemman

chemman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:51 PM

Eh, I had just the thing — a time lapse showing the tuning process, but I lost it somewhere. So just a still image:

Great example Great Attractor and I will be looking for that.  Just got clouded out a few minutes ago so I will be waiting for tomorrow morning most likely.  I need to spend more time with ImPPG, I see you use it for more than just simple post-processing.  

I can do everything remotely from my computer except tune the pressure tuners on the double stack.  I am thinking I will add a couple low pressure regulators attached to an old microwave waveguide air compressor I have laying around.    Need to do some pressure calculations and come up with a connector for the pressure tuner knob screw adapter thingy.  

Found it! The green is 17.19 psi.

Attached Thumbnails

• Lunt Etalon Pressure-vs-wavelength.jpg

Edited by chemman, 19 August 2020 - 08:06 PM.

#12 hopskipson

hopskipson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 19 August 2020 - 06:21 PM

attachicon.giffurry.jpg

G.A., is that single or double stacked?  Nice image BTW!

#13 Great Attractor

Great Attractor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 August 2020 - 01:29 AM

Single stack, pressure-tuned.

• hopskipson likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics