•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questions about my new (old) Meade MTS-SC8 w/LX3 drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 friolator

friolator

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2020 - 01:05 PM

Yesterday I bought a used MTS-SC8 from someone locally. He said the LX3 quartz drive didn't work, and that when he pulled the front plate off he saw that some wires were disconnected, and went no further. I've now pulled that plate off and see no obviously missing connections.

I'm thinking if it's ok, I'll start this thread as a running log of what I'm doing (and questions for those who know these), in case it's useful to anyone else. First off, the mount is not the same in the manuals I've found online. Those show the scope with a tripod. This one is a steel pier mount with three legs at the bottom. It seems quite stable. I do have a manual for that mount, but for a different Meade scope. 

So my first question is about the specs for the LX Quartz drive power supply. I see it uses a locking 5.5 x 2.5mm connector, and I know it's 12V. I have a schematic and it looks like the plug is tip-positive. Can anyone with an LX3 Quartz drive tell me how many mAh are required to drive this? At work I have a bunch of 12V power supplies I can hack up, so I'll just pick up the right size connector and use one of those. But I don't want to under power it. 

Attached is a photo of the scope and mount.

Attached Thumbnails

• 50237736581_3fc6b27e8b_c.jpg

• Chris WM., DSOGabe and WThesing like this

#2 slipstrm

slipstrm

Lift Off

• Loc: Grapevine, TX

Posted 18 August 2020 - 01:45 PM

You need 1-2 amps 12V tip positive.  There should be a switch in the lower left corner of the control box (internal/external) set the switch to internal.. The red LED should illuminate when the power switch is turned on and the power is correct.  The synchronous motor is very very quiet.  The mount moves at sidereal rate.  One revolution per 24 hours.

Good luck. 

#3 friolator

friolator

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2020 - 01:50 PM

Perfect. Thanks. Pretty sure I've got at least a couple 1-2A wall warts I can hack up for this. Probably some connectors too ...somewhere.

#4 friolator

friolator

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2020 - 08:34 PM

Well, no power LED when I plug it in. So there’s that. More digging to do I guess.

Edited by friolator, 19 August 2020 - 08:37 PM.

#5 friolator

friolator

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2020 - 07:09 AM

I think this my be part of the problem.

https://flic.kr/p/2jyEMvr

#6 Mikedromo

Mikedromo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 August 2020 - 05:54 PM

Hopefully wires just need soldered back in place. Happens when someone pulls on things too hard. The motor can be so slow and quiet it can be hard to tell it’s turning. Just an FYI. I’ve had others that I repaired that I thought I had an issue with because the rotation is so slow and hardly noticeable.
  • Chris WM. likes this

#7 Chris WM.

Chris WM.

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:13 PM

Friolater-

You say you have a schematic for the LX3?

I have one that has two disconnected wires and don't know where they go.

Any chance I could get a copy?

#8 dkiter

dkiter

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 April 2021 - 12:23 AM

Hi Chris,

search about „2080“ and you will find schematic. But my lx3 looks like another.

#9 WThesing

WThesing

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Mid Atlantic USA

Posted 13 September 2021 - 07:39 AM

Just happened to stumble across this thread while doing a Google search.

I bought the identical scope around 1988. I still have it, in almost flawless condition. I put the tube on a new AVX mount about 2 1/2 years ago, added a StarSense, since my skies regressed from Bortle 4 to Bortle 8. And then went down the rabbit hole of EAA and Astrophotography. No looking back, as my home skies only offer the brightest targets for using an eyepiece.

The pier mount is very stable. I drilled each leg and added screw type leveling feet shortly after buying the scope. I Deremeled out the 3 holes at the top of the pier tube and got 3 of the winged knobs from Meade that are normally used on the fork declination. That way you will have a few degrees of azimuth adjustment, good enough for visual polar alignment.

My LX 3 drive has one wire disconnected. It broke off so clean, I can't tell which pin it was soldered to. Brown wire, not sure where it goes on one of the 6 pin jacks. I would like to at least solder it back on so that the mothballed drive is again functional, should I decide to sell it, or reassemble the scope back to stock, and retire it after getting another OTA. Any help on this minor difficulty would be appreciated. Will be following!

#10 kg74

kg74

Explorer 1

Posted 15 September 2021 - 03:50 PM

Can you post a picture of your front plate to help identify exactly what you have?  If it matches one of the two I have I can pull the panel and help out. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics