•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Moon’s Biggest Cold Spot Observation Thread

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Diomedes

Diomedes

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York City

Posted 22 August 2020 - 05:55 PM

Hey all, I was reading the September edition of Sky&Telescope. I came across a fascinating article by Charles Wood titled "The Moon’s Biggest Cold Spot" I'm planning on concentrating on this region while I observe the moon this moonth. If anyone is interested in observing the craters in the area, feel free to share your observations on this thread.

The are includes the crates Burg, Hercules, Atlas, and Chevallier

Edited by Diomedes, 22 August 2020 - 06:11 PM.

• payner, DRohrman and sunnyday like this

#2 DRohrman

DRohrman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 22 August 2020 - 06:50 PM

909772D7-EC40-4428-B550-A35D7C91D8B9.jpeg A quick shot...Very interesting area.

• payner, mikerepp and Diomedes like this

#3 Diomedes

Diomedes

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York City

Posted 22 August 2020 - 09:19 PM

attachicon.gif909772D7-EC40-4428-B550-A35D7C91D8B9.jpegA quick shot...Very interesting area.

awesome shot, there's so much going on in this area. I'm looking up some resources to understand Lunar geology a little better. 

#4 DRohrman

DRohrman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 22 August 2020 - 11:33 PM

Diomedes...Take a look at the LRO online interactive map, start with “Nomenclature” to get your orientation then go to the various overlays...Frigoris is an amazing place, with the Burg area alone worth a lot of nights viewing....also the unnamed valley to the west of Baily is a miniature Valle Alpes...

Doug

• BFaucett and Diomedes like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics