•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Custom hard case opinion needed

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 28 August 2020 - 05:11 PM

Told you I'd get back to ya,   sorry about your luck.

The Neewer I ordered arrived, the foam from my hard case went right in, couldn't ask for a better fit.

I removed the bottom & side form from my case, it was loose, no glue to deal with.

The bag comes with three padded sections to compartmentalize the inside of the bag, velcro at one end to attach to the padded wall of the case.

It's seems easier to move around, better fore & aft balance at the lift handle makes a big difference. 

In the photo you can see that I used the three sections to cover the top of the scope.

Another benefit, I can move the scope through the house and not worry too much about bumping it a few times, where as the hard case was similar to carrying a small battering ram past the already antiqued furniture.

Attached Thumbnails

• thumbnail_processed.jpg

• SteveG, epee and Chris K like this

#27 epee

epee

Skylab

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 29 August 2020 - 08:16 AM

I have that same bag and use it with my smaller scopes; 102mm refractors and a C5. There is room for the tripods as well as the scopes, well isolated in yoga mat. And with a partition installed I can get a small eyepiece bag as well as the iOptron mount in with the C5.

It's a very versatile bag.

#28 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 29 August 2020 - 12:40 PM

I just stumbled across a Neewer 41"  of exactly the same build.

https://www.amazon.c...ronics&sr=1-32 

#29 Chris K

Chris K

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, Earth

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:46 PM

I make my own wood cases for my telescopes so I'm familiar with this whole concept.  I'd say that if you want to have the scope ready-to-go right out of your storage case, then the longer case is the way to go.  I know that is what I'd do because that is indeed what I do.  

For me, these wood cases are for safe storage at the house that looks good and not for portable, carry-with-you transportation.  These cases are not necessarily meant for transport, although, the case would provide protection during transport in a car or on a trailer.  These cases are more about having a very safe place to keep my gear without having the area look like a big mess.  It is about organizing my space.

Patrick

EDIT:  I do have to say that if I regularly had to pack up my car to head to dark sky sites, I would probably also have soft-sided carry cases specifically for this purpose.  Storage in my home would still be in the wood cases. 

The total weight with packing from Europe is driving up the cost. I'm looking at $460 for the custom built case, CNC foam, and shipping. The shipping is almost half the cost. The scope was $1100. Is this getting stupid?

#30 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vermont, US

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:46 AM

The total weight with packing from Europe is driving up the cost. I'm looking at $460 for the custom built case, CNC foam, and shipping. The shipping is almost half the cost. The scope was $1100. Is this getting stupid?

Whether that price is getting stupid is completely up to you.  It depends on how badly you want this particular case.  I suspect some telescope cases cost far more than that.  As we've seen in this thread, some cost far less than that too.  Have you seen current pricing on custom cabinetry?  I'm not complaining...  carpentry is one of my skills and I understand and respect what goes into good custom cabinetry.  This is one reason why some people prefer to build their own cases.  In the end, though, what is worth the cost is up to nobody else but you.  

I just skimmed back through this thread and I still have no idea what it is that will cost you $460 so I couldn't even tell you whether this would be worth it for me or not.  To me, the cost of the scope is irrelevant.  To me, that is like asking if the cost of a mount is worth it if it costs more than the telescope it is holding.

Patrick

• Chris K likes this

#31 MirkoV69

MirkoV69

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:27 AM

Have a look at HPRC cases 

I suppose the 6500 model may fit the size of the 6"

https://www.hprc.it/...s-6000-series/ 

But then It really depends on the abuse you want the case to take and your personal budget

my 2 cents...

Mirko

Edited by MirkoV69, 14 September 2020 - 11:31 AM.

• Chris K and mtminnesota like this

#32 Chris K

Chris K

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:32 PM

Whether that price is getting stupid is completely up to you.  It depends on how badly you want this particular case.  I suspect some telescope cases cost far more than that.  As we've seen in this thread, some cost far less than that too.  Have you seen current pricing on custom cabinetry?  I'm not complaining...  carpentry is one of my skills and I understand and respect what goes into good custom cabinetry.  This is one reason why some people prefer to build their own cases.  In the end, though, what is worth the cost is up to nobody else but you.  

I just skimmed back through this thread and I still have no idea what it is that will cost you $460 so I couldn't even tell you whether this would be worth it for me or not.  To me, the cost of the scope is irrelevant.  To me, that is like asking if the cost of a mount is worth it if it costs more than the telescope it is holding.

Patrick

Here's the 3D rendering of the case they'll make.

208euros for the case

188euros shipping

I can save $80 by having them ship the lid and base separately and then riveting on the lid myself.

hardCase

#33 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vermont, US

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:57 PM

The price of the case seems reasonable but the shipping costs seems quite high.  I know that TS and FLO ship whole telescopes in cases that large to the US for far less.  And then, what about tariffs and fees?  

Patrick

#34 Chris K

Chris K

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:59 PM

They're in Slovakia, which is driving up shipping. Same weight from Germany would be far less.

#35 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:40 PM

You can pack the dovetail and rings separately.  They are completely replaceable.  

The entire lens cell can come off.  The Astro-physics GT130 is actually designed to travel this way. 

They provide a nice lid for the rear of the lens cell.  But you can make one.  Take a piece of good quality cardboard and make a long 1 inch strip an half an inch or so longer than your OTA.  Coat the strip with a thick layer of duct tape.  Bend it around and join it to make a circle.  Now take a nice piece of box cardboard (thicker and with a bit of substance to it) and cut out a circle equal to the size of your objective, and coat it in several layers of duct tape.  Then, using more duct tape, join it to the circular strip.  You will find that as you've put maybe half a dozen layers down you're getting a very strong cover with cushion type effect.  More than enough to protect the open side of the refractor.  You can make one for the OTA too if you want to. 

You might even make if for both sides of the tube so you can remove the focuser.  

The FS128 is a big long scope.  However, I was able to get the focuser and the lens cell into a Lowes tool box and then put the whole tool box into another box for shipping.  Or you could carry focuser and optics on to a plane.  Your tube might be small enough to be packed with these other two components.  Notice that the focuser is wrapped in closed cell foam (sleeping bag pad) so that it won't damage the lens cell.  The hard metal cover is facing the focuser.  There is a cap on the other side that I fashioned for this shipping.  

The tube can at your choice be packed separately or carried on board if you can contrive it--either in the same package with the rest of next to them.

Because, believe me, the tube is A LOT shorter when you remove the lens cell & dew shield on one end and the focuser on the other.  

Everything reassembles pretty easily.  The focuser end has a flange that takes the focuser the flange stays on the tube nothing to worry about there.  The lens cell screws on to the tube.    Astro-physics followed this same basic idea but they made it more elegant and put it all in a Pelican case, which is what I would recommend for you.    I would not let the luggage people have the refractor but I would consider shipping it for pickup to my destination with adequate insurance.   A scope in a Pelican case could go in the overhead.  It would be protected against the usual process of stuffing things in. I mention it because "under the seat" is a tough criterion.

I haven't really inquired but in the worst case situaton, if you checked your tube and it did not arrive or the whole suitcase got lost, I think most OEMs would be able to replace your tube.  It's the optics that are the most precious element.  However, some tubes are more nicely manufactured than others so prices may vary.  When I inquired with TNR their FS128 tubes were cheap, as in, if I remember, less than $150.

I don't think that would be true of CFF or Astro-Physics.  I think their tubes would cost more.

Greg N

tak travel package2.JPG

Should we:

a) design it with the dew shield extended, which would allow me to leave the mounting rings/rail in position to be readily balanced on my mount? This'll increase storage space required and cost/weight. (scope is 20lbs, extended it would make the case about 48"

b) design it with the dew shield retracted, which would make the case much shorter, make the case less expensive and lighter, but would require the mounting rings/rail to be slid back. This means I'd have to make the adjustments each time I balance the scope on my mount. I did a couple "practice runs" and it did not take much to reposition the mounting rings/rail. (retracted would make the case about 40")

Chris

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics