•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tele Vue NP101

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#26 Codbear

Codbear

Apollo

• Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 23 August 2020 - 05:52 PM

I have a TV Genesis SDF, which immediately preceded the TV101 and has basically the same dimensions (F5.4) and I absolutely love it! It’s a visual and ergonomic dream and I love using it on it’s TV Gibralter alt-az mount. Of my dozen or so scopes, if I could keep only two it would be that one and my Questar. They are perfect complements of one another. Just truly fine scopes.

Terra,

I agree whole-heartedly. I bought a new Genesis sdf in 1993, but it didn't see much action since I had stepped back from regular observing...wife, kids, dogs, travel teams, etc. When I got back into observing a lot more 6 years ago, I sold the sdf, naively thinking it must have been out-dated. I did get an NP127 though and the views through that were right there with my AP130 GT they were so good (I sold both after my TEC180 came due to lack of use).

I really missed the 4" wide-field view though so purchased a new NP101is about the same time as Dick and absolutely love it. I do think the views are somewhat better than through the sdf...or is my brain working overtime trying to justify my actions?!? grin.gif

Depending upon what the seeing and/or transparency is like and what I'll be observing, I will either pair the 101is with the Q3.5 or the Q Astro 7. There are nights that my 24" can't split the double-double, either due to seeing or my not giving it enough time to cool, but the 101is and my Q's have never failed to split them.

If I had to thin the herd down to two scopes, one of them would not be the Q3.5... they would be the 101is and the Astro 7, because there is some sentimentality attached to the 7 with Jim R. at the Mother Ship.

Sam

• Erik Bakker, Terra Nova and havasman like this

#27 Junoscope

Junoscope

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Portsmouth, NH 03801

Posted 23 August 2020 - 07:25 PM

I bought a TV101 used, but in flawless condition. The views were excellent, from its widest fields to planetary viewing. I sold it to partially fund a 130mm refractor when I was surprised (it had been a while) to find out I had come up on a waiting list. Ideally, I’d have both scopes. The TV was lighter and I miss the widest fields.

#28 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 23 August 2020 - 07:27 PM

I have the TV NP101.   Got it back in 2007 and since then added the 2-speed focuser that Tele Vue sells as an upgrade item.

If I could only keep one scope it is this one.

You mentioned about alt-az mounts.  The two that I like the most for grab and go are the Skywatcher AZ4 Pro and the Stellarvue M2C.

The AZ4 is no longer sold but you can get the Orion VersaGo II.  Same head but with the aluminum legs instead of the steel legs.  What is nice about this mount is that it has a built in AZ setting circle and alt markings so you could use it to manually find objects.   The price is great for $179.  The VersaGo II mount head has less vibrations than the Vixen Porta II, and much better than the Explore Scientific Twilight I mount. What the Vixen has over the Orion is the slow motion cables 

The other mount I like is the Stellarvue M2C mount but that is more than 2x in price,  but is more solid in terms of movement and vibration dampening 

I have all the above mentioned mounts and have used my NP101 on all of them.

Another mount to mentioned but I don't have is the newer AZ5 mount

https://www.bhphotov...7oaAr8WEALw_wcB

Thus will also handle the NP101 

Edited by tony_spina, 23 August 2020 - 07:30 PM.

• jimandlaura26, turtle86 and sojourneyer like this

#29 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 23 August 2020 - 08:01 PM

I am considering a purchase of said scope and wonder what people think of it, particularly those who have owned one.

What are the pros and cons?  I wish to mount on it an alt-az side arm mount and also wonder if there is a way to attach a vixen dovetail to  the clam ring

I will be using for visual 100%.

Thanks

I have one and love it.  I actually find myself using it more than my AP 130 GT, because it’s so easy to set up and has that nice wide flat field.  It takes mag pretty well and can be used for planets, but rich field viewing with something like a 31mm Nagler is where it really shines—it’ll take in all of the Veil, and with an OII the view is jaw dropping.  I’ve spent many a happy night panning the Milky Way with it.   It’s a great complement to my Dobs.  The only downside is the price, but the scope is well worth it in my humble opinion.   Definitely one of my best ever astro purchases.

Edited by turtle86, 23 August 2020 - 08:02 PM.

• doctordub and havasman like this

#30 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 23 August 2020 - 08:11 PM

I have the TV NP101.   Got it back in 2007 and since then added the 2-speed focuser that Tele Vue sells as an upgrade item.

You mentioned about alt-az mounts.  The two that I like the most for grab and go are the Skywatcher AZ4 Pro and the Stellarvue M2C.

The AZ4 is no longer sold but you can get the Orion VersaGo II.  Same head but with the aluminum legs instead of the steel legs.  What is nice about this mount is that it has a built in AZ setting circle and alt markings so you could use it to manually find objects.   The price is great for $179.  The VersaGo II mount head has less vibrations than the Vixen Porta II, and much better than the Explore Scientific Twilight I mount. What the Vixen has over the Orion is the slow motion cables 

The other mount I like is the Stellarvue M2C mount but that is more than 2x in price,  but is more solid in terms of movement and vibration dampening 

Get the Gibraltar HD5!

5.jpg

• jimandlaura26, doctordub, niteskystargazer and 3 others like this

#31 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cal Neva

Posted 23 August 2020 - 08:13 PM

I bought a TV101 used, but in flawless condition. The views were excellent, from its widest fields to planetary viewing. I sold it to partially fund a 130mm refractor when I was surprised (it had been a while) to find out I had come up on a waiting list. Ideally, I’d have both scopes. The TV was lighter and I miss the widest fields.

were you able in the end to get the 130mm refractor or were your pockets empty?

#32 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 August 2020 - 08:14 PM

Tony I was going to use it on a Twilight 1. I too like slo motion controls.

Could the Twilight handle it?

#33 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 23 August 2020 - 10:12 PM

I have Twilight 1. I was hoping I could use it for the NP-101.  It just couldn't handle it, it never settled down.

I use mine with 2 mounts:

- A Portamount with wooden legs. It's usable but not ideal, I love the ergonomics. It manages high magnifications if there's not much wind.

- StellarVue MG-2. This is a solid mount, solid with my 120 Eon

It's a single sided version of the Sky Tee mount. It's no longer made.

6213871-NP-101 with SV MG-2.jpg

Jon

• jimandlaura26 likes this

#34 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

Posted 23 August 2020 - 10:51 PM

No the Twilight I couldn't handle the TV NP101.  Too much shaking even at lower magnification 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#35 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

Posted 23 August 2020 - 10:57 PM

the Twlight II on the other hand will handle it easily.   I will dual mount the NP101 and my other scopes when I want a wide field and high power view at the same time

#36 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 24 August 2020 - 07:02 AM

Ken

Good to hear from you. Yes, I read that O'Meara did his sketching using a NP101 or similar Tele Vue version

Do you know of a place that would sell a vixen dovetail to affix to the clamshell?

From what I read this is a classy 4 inch scope. 

Thanks for your input

I suggest a Losmandy D 3" dovetail. They are plump fairly heavy OTAs. 2 clamshells for better holding as well.

TV's Gibraltar 4 or 5 mounts are made for these scopes, strong fork yoke on sturdy wooden tripods.

• Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#37 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:48 AM

while this flurry of informational activity was going on the scope was sold.  C'est la vie

#38 gwlee

gwlee

Vanguard

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 24 August 2020 - 02:44 PM

I am considering a purchase of said scope and wonder what people think of it, particularly those who have owned one.

What are the pros and cons?  I wish to mount on it an alt-az side arm mount and also wonder if there is a way to attach a vixen dovetail to  the clam ring

I will be using for visual 100%.

Thanks

I used an NP101 for several years that was mounted on a DM6 with a Losmandy D plate. I am sure there’s a way to mount a vixen plate to an NP101 clamp ring, but I wouldn’t want to use a vixen rail with any four inch or larger scope. Many people do though. 

I liked my NP101 very much. It’s the only scope that I regret selling. The Petzval design provides a wide, flat field that’s great for low-power viewing of star fields. It seems to work as any 4” refractor for high power viewing. Nitpicking, I think the OTA is a bit long in length for such a short focal length. 

• turtle86 and 25585 like this

#39 gwlee

gwlee

Vanguard

Posted 24 August 2020 - 02:48 PM

I suggest a Losmandy D 3" dovetail. They are plump fairly heavy OTAs. 2 clamshells for better holding as well.

TV's Gibraltar 4 or 5 mounts are made for these scopes, strong fork yoke on sturdy wooden tripods.

Agree with the D plate. 

I also had a Gibraltar 4 that I used with my NP101. I though it was fine for low power scanning, but wasn’t sturdy enough to satisfy me for high power. 

Edited by gwlee, 24 August 2020 - 02:50 PM.

• 25585 likes this

#40 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 24 August 2020 - 04:58 PM

I used an NP101 for several years that was mounted on a DM6 with a Losmandy D plate. I am sure there’s a way to mount a vixen plate to an NP101 clamp ring, but I wouldn’t want to use a vixen rail with any four inch or larger scope. Many people do though. 

I liked my NP101 very much. It’s the only scope that I regret selling. The Petzval design provides a wide, flat field that’s great for low-power viewing of star fields. It seems to work as any 4” refractor for high power viewing. Nitpicking, I think the OTA is a bit long in length for such a short focal length. 

A proper Vixen Dovetail works fine with a relatively lightweight scope like the NP-101. I'm not sure what one would be concerned about..

As far as physical length versus focal length. that's inherent the design. A slower doublet front with a reducer/corrector/flattener in the rear makes for a longer scope.

Jon

• Allan Wade and havasman like this

#41 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 24 August 2020 - 05:10 PM

A proper Vixen Dovetail works fine with a relatively lightweight scope like the NP-101. I'm not sure what one would be concerned about..

As far as physical length versus focal length. that's inherent the design. A slower doublet front with a reducer/corrector/flattener in the rear makes for a longer scope.

Jon

Vixen dovetails were designed for lightweight Vixen refractors. Fine for TV-85s & 76s, but not the Genesis Petzval & its successors. 

• turtle86 likes this

#42 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 24 August 2020 - 05:33 PM

Vixen dovetails were designed for lightweight Vixen refractors. Fine for TV-85s & 76s, but not the Genesis Petzval & its successors. 

I'm a mechanical engineer/materials science researcher.  The TeleVue Vixen Dovetail adapter is plenty strong, plenty rigid for a scope weighing 12 pounds ready to go. 

https://www.astronom...ial-mounts.html

There's three 1/4-20 Allen bolts holding the dovetail to the scope. The proof load of the cheapest grade 2 1/4-20 is 1750lbs. 

I've never seen any evidence at the eyepiece or otherwise indicating that the Vixen dovetail is inadequate for the NP-101 or for seven heavier, longer scopes.

Jonj

• doctordub, SteveG, eros312 and 5 others like this

#43 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 August 2020 - 05:34 PM

If you want to get a Losmandy D plate, that’s fine.

But the Vixen plate is fine with a 4” refractor.  

One needs to adopt a “helicopter maintenance” approach when mounting and unmounting a telescope, whatever plate you use.  There needs to be zero room for error.  Take your time, have adequate light, double check everything, make sure it is tight.  If you do this, the smaller Vixen style plate will never fail.

• Jon Isaacs, havasman, Mattimac and 2 others like this

#44 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 24 August 2020 - 05:42 PM

Agree with the D plate. 

I also had a Gibraltar 4 that I used with my NP101. I though it was fine for low power scanning, but wasn’t sturdy enough to satisfy me for high power. 

The Gibraltar HD5 is only a little more money but has MUCH larger bearings (The HD4 is a telepod head) and is absolutely solid with my longer TV102! Look, I've been using Gibraltars for years and the HD5 is in a class by itself. If you rap on the focuser it dampens out in less than one second. This is a mount that will go with me to the grave! (same with the TV102)

Edited by Mike W, 24 August 2020 - 05:44 PM.

• Defenderslideguitar and 25585 like this

#45 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 24 August 2020 - 05:57 PM

I find the Gibralter works very well with my pair of Parallax and a large, flat mounting plate. It also makes my Genesis SDF extremely easy to attach to the Gibraltar’s yoke. I just drop it on and through the mounting holes and then attach the bakelite wing-nuts. The handle across the top of the tube rings makes it easy to hold the OTA securely while attaching it to the yoke. One of the photos below shows the difference in size between this mounting system and the scope’s standard TV clamshell with it’s TV V-style mounting rail that I use when mounting the scope on a GEM.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3E535061-08B5-4E5B-A7C7-9D943C72C786.jpeg

• Mike W, TerryWood, BFaucett and 3 others like this

#46 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 24 August 2020 - 07:27 PM

I love my NP 101. There is just something about those wide flat field TV scopes with their quality build and feel . I was looking for the Genesis SDF or TV 101  but this sweet NP 101 needed a new home just one county over.  They are all good at what they do.

I already had the Gibraltar and it rides so well  on it. I   agree with Terra that it is easy and solid with those good looking wingnuts.  I got it used  and it also came with the heavy duty ATM Losmandy style plate and these really great rings   so it also does great  tracking on the Losmandy G8..

One thing I am still learning about was mentioned above  that Eyepiece selection is very important. For me it is still an education...Just starting to acquire  several Nagler eyepieces that do well in my telescopes.. Looking to add the Nagler 31 as recommended. Someone mentioned Type 5  or is Type 6  similar  I am unclear?

Bottom line   you will really like it   and if for some reason you decide to let it go  it sells very quickly so it could be kind of a no lose situation.

next to the Oracle for scale

Attached Thumbnails

• TV'S3IMG_4570.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 24 August 2020 - 07:58 PM.

• SteveG, Terra Nova and 25585 like this

#47 gwlee

gwlee

Vanguard

Posted 24 August 2020 - 07:38 PM

Jon

Many very experienced hobbyists are satisfied, or even prefer using Vixen plates with scopes larger than 3 inches. I am not saying they are wrong, but after trying it, I am not comfortable doing it, so I am not comfortable recommending it.

The D plate is strongly recommended for 4” refractors by the designer and manufacturer of the DM6. I was skeptical, but ultimately took Tom’s advice and used the D plate with the NP101 after trying it. 

When I got the DM4, I thought the Vixen plate worked fine with with my 72mm f6 scope, so that’s what I use with this scope and mount, and use with the same scope on another mount.

When got my 92mm f6.7 scope, which the manufacturer supplies with a Vixen plate, and put it on the DM4, I found that the connection didn’t feel sufficiently robust to satisfy me, so I replaced it with a D plate that did. My scope, my responsibility, my decision.

Sure, the PETZVAL design of the NP101 results in its OTA being longer than a doublet or triplet of the same focal length. The increased length of its OTA is a design tradeoff that’s required to achieve the flat field. It’s something the OP probably wants to know before he buys an NP101. 

• 25585 likes this

#48 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 24 August 2020 - 07:54 PM

When got my 92mm f6.7 scope, which the manufacturer supplies with a Vixen plate, and put it on the DM4, I found that the connection didn’t feel sufficiently robust to satisfy me, so I replaced it with a D plate that did. My scope, my responsibility, my decision.

It's hard for me to imagine that the lack of robustness had anything to do with the design of the TeleVue Dovetail, either in it's strength and rigidity.  It's possible it did not mate properly with the dovetail but on my mounts, it's rock solid.

In terms of strength and stiffness, it's incredibly over designed. 

Jon

#49 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 24 August 2020 - 07:58 PM

This does not match my first hand experience. My NP101is is very solidly mounted on a DM4 with 4" ADM Vixen dovetail. If I had the slightest doubt in the security of the interface I would have used one of several other longer Vixen or Losmandy dovetail bars I have in a storage closet. The DM4 carries the 2-way receiver that accepts either "V" or "D" dovetail. So it is no more than a matter of selecting what works that determines what I have chosen to use. 

The scope also mounts securely to my UniStar Deluxe and Stellarvue M2C with the Vixen plate.

It is certainly a valid choice if a user opts for the wider "D" plate but it is very certainly not correct to say that the "V" plate is insufficient.

Edited by havasman, 24 August 2020 - 08:11 PM.

• Jon Isaacs and BFaucett like this

#50 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

Posted 24 August 2020 - 08:03 PM

I have a solid Vixen plate that I use with the NP101.   Never had any concerns or issues with its strength to hold and keep the NP101 tightly attached 

As part of normal process I always check all bolts and fastners on my scopes and mounts before I set things up for a view session 

• BFaucett and Defenderslideguitar like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics