•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tele Vue NP101

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#101 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• Loc: Okanagan, BC

Posted 21 September 2020 - 03:46 PM

I am interested in this scope for wide field visual observing.  But how far have you been able to push the magnification?

#102 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:18 PM

I am interested in this scope for wide field visual observing.  But how far have you been able to push the magnification?

As far as any 4” refractor.   180x frequently, up to 462x with a 3.5mm Delos and 3x Barlow on bright close doubles.

• tony_spina, Jon Isaacs, Bonco2 and 1 other like this

#103 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:56 AM

After much thought, consideration and research I pressed the "buy" button on a new NP101is last week.  It should arrive by mid November.

I would have liked to have purchased a gently used scope but I only recall one NP101is being advertised in Canada over the past 4 years.  Private sellers in the US seem hesitant to ship to Canada, besides they get snapped very quickly anyway.

• 3 i Guy, doctordub, stevew and 8 others like this

#104 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:04 PM

After much thought, consideration and research I pressed the "buy" button on a new NP101is last week.  It should arrive by mid November.

I would have liked to have purchased a gently used scope but I only recall one NP101is being advertised in Canada over the past 4 years.  Private sellers in the US seem hesitant to ship to Canada, besides they get snapped very quickly anyway.

Congratulations.  It would appear you are destined for the NP101 addict's club.  GN

• doctordub likes this

#105 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:33 PM

Congratulations.  It would appear you are destined for the NP101 addict's club.  GN

Since these scopes are highly praised on CN with few negative reviews, and they rarely appear for sale on the used pages I assume that owners are buried with their Scopes?

• doctordub and NC Startrekker like this

#106 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 29 September 2020 - 05:31 PM

Hope its collimation is OK.

#107 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:20 PM

Why wouldn’t it be?

• turtle86 likes this

#108 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 30 September 2020 - 02:16 AM

Why wouldn’t it be?

Some on CN have reported miscollimated TV Petzvals. It has been why I sadly never bought a NP. However a brand new one will by covered by warranty & law. 

#109 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 September 2020 - 05:46 AM

He is buying it new.

He has no reason at all to be concerned about collimation.

There is no more reason to be concerned about miscollimation with a Petzval than any other refractor that is not set up for end-user collimation.  And while “some on CN” bring this up a lot, it never seems to be anyone who actually had a problem.

• turtle86, JoeBftsplk, NC Startrekker and 5 others like this

#110 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 30 September 2020 - 06:07 AM

He is buying it new.

He has no reason at all to be concerned about collimation.

There is no more reason to be concerned about miscollimation with a Petzval than any other refractor that is not set up for end-user collimation.  And while “some on CN” bring this up a lot, it never seems to be anyone who actually had a problem.

I bought my NP-101 used.  The previous owner had fiddled with the collimation so I needed to collimate it. 

I know of other NP-101s that have needed collimation.  But I have had mine for 10 years since I collimated it. It's seen a lot of use, many, many trips (more than 200) in the soft case in the back of my pickup bed. 

It also took a header when I accidentally backed into it while setting up another scope.  I was backing up out of the garage with a Dob using wheel barrow handles.  I felt a soft push on my back and turned around to see the mounted scope go tumbling and hit the ground.  The Telrad took some of the blow but the scope did not suffer. It was and is collimated.

Telrad Saves the Day CN.jpg

Jon

• Jeff Morgan, doctordub, turtle86 and 6 others like this

#111 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:46 AM

I think those guerillas that were employed by Sampsonite back in the 1970’s are now retired and are no longer working in the shipping department. 

#112 alnitak22

alnitak22

Skylab

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:32 AM

You really should stop with the collimation nonsense. 

• Mike W, turtle86, Phil Cowell and 5 others like this

#113 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 01 October 2020 - 01:24 AM

I bought my NP-101 used.  The previous owner had fiddled with the collimation so I needed to collimate it. 

I know of other NP-101s that have needed collimation.  But I have had mine for 10 years since I collimated it. It's seen a lot of use, many, many trips (more than 200) in the soft case in the back of my pickup bed. 

One of my observing buddies had such a scope. It happens. As it was, he knew someone who could re collimate it and it all worked out.

Tele Vue can also do the work for a fee. I won't repeat the number because it is second hand. (You can search it up on this forum.) Considering it would get some TLC back at the Mother Ship, the fee sounded reasonable to me at the time.

Bottom line, I would not hesitate if an appropriately priced used NP 101 was presented to me and I wanted it. I would budget the cost of (say) a nice Ethos as a hedge. Just in case. 

#114 doctordub

doctordub

Vanguard

• Loc: New Rochelle, New York

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:16 AM

I have had my TeleVue NP-101 for a few years now and it has remained in perfect collimation. I was not concerned though because I live a cross the Hudson from TeleVue.

CS

Jonathan

Attached Thumbnails

• TV-NP101.jpg
  • Al Nagler & Mee.jpg

• Jon Isaacs, peleuba, Scott in NC and 21 others like this

#115 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

Posted 01 October 2020 - 01:34 PM

I have had my TeleVue NP-101 for a few years now and it has remained in perfect collimation. I was not concerned though because I live a cross the Hudson from TeleVue.

CS

Jonathan

Do you get drone deliveries of TV EPs?

• Jon Isaacs and doctordub like this

#116 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 01 October 2020 - 01:39 PM

CS

Jonathan

You sir are strategically located!   I would be bankrupt if I lived that close to Televue, Lol.

I have a TV102 purchased used.  It is great and built like a tank!  Not a Petzval, but collimation is dead on.   It was delivered by UPS I think:-).   I would not worry about collimation.

JMD

• doctordub likes this

#117 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 01 October 2020 - 02:12 PM

CS

Jonathan

lol.gif

Stop in every so often with donuts and they will probably invite you to bring it for periodic tune-ups, needed or not.

• Jon Isaacs, doctordub, Phil Cowell and 1 other like this

#118 jimandlaura26

jimandlaura26

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 01 October 2020 - 04:48 PM

For visual purposes, what are the alternatives to the NP101?

I use a Stellarvue SVR-102T refractor for visual observation. A great scope as well.

• doctordub and 25585 like this

#119 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 01 October 2020 - 08:41 PM

You really should stop with the collimation nonsense. 

It's intrinsic to the Petzval design, they are more difficult in the collimation department than triplets and doublets.   I fell in love with the Pentax 125mm at NEAF about fifteen years ago, and would have bought it.  But it was a four lens design, a modified Petzval, and I had some reservations about sinking $7k into an optic that would be hard to get serviced if it needed it.   And no one would say how you got the optics serviced if they ever needed it.   

It also had a helical focuser and I wasn't sure how that would work out in visual use, and I was also thinking that the scope had a high degree of optimization for photography and maybe not for visual.   I asked around but there just weren't any people that I knew who had helical focuser on a refractor experience.  Back in the day one occasionally encountered helicals on Newtonians but again I never actually *met* one much less owned one.

Currently the WO Redcat (51mm?) is a petzval design and apparently they can't make enough of them.  These are also helical focusers.

One of the idiosyncrasies of the Petzval is that in spite of the short *optical* focal length, you get a longer *physical* focal length.   So maybe not quite as good for travel--which for example the GT130 is specifically build for.  

Anyhow the bottom line is that Televue is an established company with a reputation for servicing its products and if I had the NP101 and it needed collimation I would send it to them and pay what was needed.  I wouldn't not get an NP101 because of that.  I am a bit more skeptical about having sandpaper rather than classic baffles on the interior of the tube.  (I'm not making that up, but I know of only one instance in the past 20 years where the sandpaper actually peeled and that was in extremely adverse storage conditions)

But it doesn't matter what I think.  They're great telescopes with a very loyal user base.  In fact all the TV telescopes have a loyal user base, even the original Genesis, which I'm not sure I would be loyal to.   Maybe the later ones.

Greg N

• 25585 likes this

#120 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 02 October 2020 - 04:15 AM

Jonathan:

I recognize you on the left but who is the guy on the right... :)

post-14465-0-83024600-1601561752.jpg

(Another feeble attempt at internet humor, I hope someone laughs)

Jon

• peleuba, Scott in NC, doctordub and 3 others like this

#121 213Cobra

213Cobra

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California, USA

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:11 AM

Maybe we should all return to the singlet. All these alignment problems with multi-lens systems make them too prone to miscollimation. You can align one lens in an objective, right?

With four quad telescopes I've seen zero difference in alignment risk or durability vs. triplets. Can't say about doublets, but I have to point out that my exceptionally stable quads start out with doublet objectives. What, do you think these quads have their lenses mounted in pasta or raspberry jello? Gumdrop rings? Of course not. Can you abuse a quad into malalignment? I suppose. Throw it in the bed of a Ford Raptor and head into the bangin' open desert or Moab if you're inclined and you might emerge with a mangled tube and optics. But you might be surprised, too how stable modern quads are.

I hold no compunctions about mine or where I take them.

Phil

Edited by 213Cobra, 02 October 2020 - 01:12 PM.

• doctordub, alnitak22 and havasman like this

#122 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 02 October 2020 - 09:57 AM

I would not worry about collimation.

It's a risk, but I would not worry too much either.

In fact, I scored the 101is that came up on Astromart yesterday grin.gif

• turtle86, Tyson M, Wildetelescope and 1 other like this

#123 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 02 October 2020 - 10:55 AM

It's a risk, but I would not worry too much either.

In fact, I scored the 101is that came up on Astromart yesterday grin.gif

https://www.cloudyni...g-my-tv-np-101/

Jon

• Jeff Morgan likes this

#124 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 02 October 2020 - 11:38 AM

I have heard so much about the 101, that if I were younger and had fewer scopes, I would buy one no matter what the cost up here in Canada ! It does and has sounded like a great scope and I may still but they are scarce up here which speaks well for it I am sure. Unfortunately the supply / demand is so great for these scopes that they are grabbed up in the blink of an eye as I have been watching for them. 

Edited by LDW47, 02 October 2020 - 12:00 PM.

#125 Poochpa

Poochpa

Vanguard

• Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 02 October 2020 - 12:01 PM

I’ve had mine for 17 years. It’s as well collimated as the day I got it. Best scope I’ve ever owned and I’ve owned a few over the past 20 years.

Mike

• Phil Cowell, alnitak22 and havasman like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics